Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't have McHack and Fawlty in the same team
You know what. I rathered Deano's effort and endevour last night over Macca's.

A few times I noticed Mac just plodding along, arms outstretched as if he's shepherding or pressuring but in reality he's just jogging along 10m behind the play not contributing one once of pressure or effort. At least Deano threw himself at the contest and you could see him run his guts out at points. Macca looked like he was just floating around near the contest waiting to be the "link up" but then getting the ball and shitting himself.

I get that he had an injury interrupted start and he's showed an increase in form the last few weeks. That's great. But if there's one thing I absolutely HATE it's when someone that's meant to be a leader of our club (more-so if they are a vice/captain) seemingly not putting in 110%.

Deano, the inexperienced player trying to step up from NEAFL to AFL level, played his heart out and made a few blues.

Our captain and one of our most experienced players at AFL level, was a common cause of confusion. He was often the source of error and had none of the composure he's in the side for. If he loses his ability to work under pressure and he can't set up the play or get us out of trouble when we need him to (which he has traditionally been very good at IMO) then what else is he there for? He doesn't tackle. He doesn't pressure. He hasn't been kicking goals.

He can point all he bloody well wants. So long as he's pointing at himself! Really poor effort last night IMO. Hope he get's a rev from the boys.

EDIT: On a side note, I reckon Kizza has been sensational the last month. He's leading like a captain IMO.

Needs to be dropped for the rest of the season. Bring in Newman, he would have handled the forward pressure much better.
I don't think pointing out that he was always going to struggle to dispose of the ball against the leagues best pressuring forwards is being over the top or unfair. I never said anything about dropping him. You're being overly sensitive.

It is going to be tough for McVeigh next year. Will be on 280+ games but with the way the team is developing there is no spot for him.
The question is, has he earned the right to make the call himself? Part of me says yes, part of me says he is one of the people responsible for the 2014 debacle and should be tarred and feathered and made to do unspeakable acts.
On the bright side ...would make an excellent game day runner, will be right in his element pointing, barking instructions out the back/on the outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is going to be tough for McVeigh next year. Will be on 280+ games but with the way the team is developing there is no spot for him.
The question is, has he earned the right to make the call himself? Part of me says yes, part of me says he is one of the people responsible for the 2014 debacle and should be tarred and feathered and made to do unspeakable acts.
On the bright side ...would make an excellent game day runner, will be right in his element pointing, barking instructions out the back/on the outside.

McVeigh is still definitely in the best 22, but unlike Richards last year I am not worried about losing McVeigh as I think we have the cattle ready to replace him.

Let's just cool our jets a bit here. We have one of the youngest Swans sides going around for quite some time. As long as McVeigh keeps playing to the standard (which I think he is contrary to some) then an experienced leader is gold in helping develop those young up and comers. McVeigh is an elite kick and good decision maker. Long may he point.

Let's just cool our jets a bit here. We have one of the youngest Swans sides going around for quite some time. As long as McVeigh keeps playing to the standard (which I think he is contrary to some) then an experienced leader is gold in helping develop those young up and comers. McVeigh is an elite kick and good decision maker. Long may he point.
He is not a good captain on the field. When was the last time he actually led a team revival on the field with his play? Not only should he retire at the end of the season to free up salary cap for Mitchell he should step down as captain to give it to Kennedy. Kennedy pulls this team out of tight spots time and time again by his inspirational football. When was the last time McVeigh actually led a comeback of the team on the field? He is the worst performing footballer as a captain in the comp. Finger pointing and abusing team mates doesn't count.

**** me, this McVeigh s**t needs to stop.

Team is full of absolute bambi's.

Long may McVeigh point.
Mate it will only get worse. You reckon he is going to improve at his age? Start kicking on his left foot at 31? Gain an extra yard on old legs? Aas a pretty good commentator once said "Is it not strange that desire should so many years outlive performance." And it wasn't Denis Commetti

Mate it will only get worse. You reckon he is going to improve at his age? Start kicking on his left foot at 31? Gain an extra yard on old legs? Aas a pretty good commentator once said "Is it not strange that desire should so many years outlive performance." And it wasn't Denis Commetti

Glad you're not in charge of the list mate.

He is not a good captain on the field. When was the last time he actually led a team revival on the field with his play? Not only should he retire at the end of the season to free up salary cap for Mitchell he should step down as captain to give it to Kennedy. Kennedy pulls this team out of tight spots time and time again by his inspirational football. When was the last time McVeigh actually led a comeback of the team on the field? He is the worst performing footballer as a captain in the comp. Finger pointing and abusing team mates doesn't count.
You are certainly allowed your opinion but with all due respect you obviously have a grudge with him for whatever reason that is clouding your judgement.

This 'doesn't lead a team revival' type captain criteria is just BS, he is not buddy and there are not many club captains who fill your 'captain's criteria'.

Macca is obviously very well respected within the club for him to be named captain, especially of a club that embraces leading teams principles and philosophies.

To be brutally honest I think it is those within the four walls of the club are best placed to make the call on who should be captain of this great club and I'll back them in 110% to know who is best suited to be captain and make the right call for the club.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You are certainly allowed your opinion but with all due respect you obviously have a grudge with him for whatever reason that is clouding your judgement.

This 'doesn't lead a team revival' type captain criteria is just BS, he is not buddy and there are not many club captains who fill your 'captain's criteria'.

Macca is obviously very well respected within the club for him to be named captain, especially of a club that embraces leading teams principles and philosophies.

To be brutally honest I think it is those within the four walls of the club are best placed to make the call on who should be captain of this great club and I'll back them in 110% to know who is best suited to be captain and make the right call for the club.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Don't bother. Broken record.

I think you're confusing best player with captain. It's not just what happens on the field. It's preparation. It's moral guidance. It's setting an example around professionalism. It's pointing and yelling at people to make sure they maintain team structures on field. That's why he points and points well.

Co0v-HUVYAElpPA

:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back