Past Jeff Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

lovely balance and silky skills. Of course as SOSOSOS would have us believe picking the rookies is blind luck :)

jeffgarlett.jpg

Shame he didn't convert.

Re: Jeffrey Garlett

Congratulations to Jeffy who has been nominated this week for the Rising Star award.

Well deserved as recognition for an outstanding game on Friday night, and a fantastic season thus far.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/100002/default.aspx

Jeff has kicked 30 goals this season which is a great effort for a 2nd year rookie listed player.

I'd love to see him feature heavily in the voting for the award after flying under the radar when compared to the other nominees thus far this season.

Keep up the great work, Jeffy :thumbsu:

How Buddy inspired Blues sharpshooter Garlett
While the respective mothers of Garlett and Franklin are sisters, the cheeky Blues forward also has Fremantle's Des Headland and North Melbourne's Cruize Garlett as cousins and claims Collingwood livewire Leon Davis as an uncle.

After moving from Merredin as a youngster, he grew up close to Midland's now famous Bushby Street where Carlton teammate Chris Yarran, West Coast cult hero Nic Naitanui and Dockers forward Michael Walters spent their formative years.

He and Blues teammate David Ellard learnt their football trade in the Midvale juniors with that trio and he also came through the WAFL ranks at Swan Districts with Sydney speedster Lewis Jetta.

Garlett's biggest goal haul as a senior or junior was a bag of eight for the Northern Bullants in the VFL this year.

"Braddles always says he's got a Wanganeen sort of movement and things like that so I think he calls him 'Little Wangas'," Ratten said.
How Buddy inspired Blues sharpshooter Garlett

How Carlton landed the little bloke
"Anyway we were watching this night game and during the match this little bloke kept bobbing up and kicking goals," Rogers recalled. "Off the top of the head he lined up in a forward pocket and kicked four, and everything you saw last Friday night he did."

"We all thought he was a bit skinny, but he'd had a tough upbringing and we didn't know his story. But big blokes kept hitting him, and he kept bouncing back up, a bit like the rubber man".

Another concern was Hawthorn's knowledge of and interest in Garlett, given the family tie with his first cousin Lance Franklin - which is why Hughes, Rogers and co. were coy in their dealings with Swans, opting not to volunteer Garlett's name as a player of interest "because we didn't want to show our hand".

"I remember picking him up at the airport when he flew in from Perth for the first time," Rogers said. "I gave him the spiel about the club and the importance of knuckling down and biding your time to earn elevation to the senior list later in the season. He said to me, 'Oh no, I'll play round one, don't worry about that'. I said to him 'You've got to be elevated prior to round one' and he said 'I will'. and he was."
How Carlton landed the little bloke

3 Amigos Stick Together at Carlton

I LOVE JEFFIE. AHH.

love this so much.

"I remember picking him up at the airport when he flew in from Perth for the first time," Rogers said. "I gave him the spiel about the club and the importance of knuckling down and biding your time to earn elevation to the senior list later in the season. He said to me, 'Oh no, I'll play round one, don't worry about that'. I said to him 'You've got to be elevated prior to round one' and he said 'I will'. and he was."

What a bloody champ :thumbsu:

Jeff+Garlett+AFL+Rd+19+Bombers+v+Blues+noMSiDHnJqSl.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a fantastic year for the young fella!

What did he kick, 39 goals?

Looks like Ratts wants him to play up on a wing at times this year to use his pace and run forward which seems like a good move. Hopefully he get a little more strength in that skinny body of his so he can compete a little better in contests.

Go Jeffrey!

I watched those highlights on the AFL website...Garlett in my mind has turned into a bona fide match winner when he's on...if opposition teams aren't giving him enough attention he will tear them apart :thumbsu:

Garlett has a need for speed

CARLTON need to keep using their speed to win matches, forward Jeff Garlett said in the aftermath of the Blues' decimation of Gold Coast.

Garlett, who is one of a number of speedy small forwards in Carlton’s arsenal, had a field day against the Suns, kicking five goals in the 119-point win.
Garlett has a need for speed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back