Jesse Hogan club suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Self medicating anxiety apparently. Hope he gets the help he needs.
Excessive alcohol consumption only makes it worse except for the times you are totally pissed or affected by it. Then when sober again you feel worse and hit the bottle again in a vicious circle that is alcoholism 101.

Not to mention it is also a natural depressant.

Hope Jesse gets the help he needs but there is not much worse news you could be told as a fan on the week leading into the season start after getting such a big name to the club in what was widely regarded as a huge get for the Dockers and maybe the Demons did know something and shipped him off.

Excessive alcohol consumption only makes it worse except for the times you are totally pissed or affected by it. Then when sober again you feel worse and hit the bottle again in a vicious circle that is alcoholism 101.

Hope Jesse gets the help he needs but there is not much worse news you could be told as a fan on the week leading into the season start after getting such a big name to the club in what was widely regarded as a huge get for the Dockers and maybe the Demons did know something and shipped him off.
I agree

But people suffering depression, and anxiety which is related, commonly self medicate with alcohol or drugs. I didn't say it was a good choice.

The article said the club was aware of his issues though, which surely means he would have been getting help.

I agree

But people suffering depression, and anxiety which is related, commonly self medicate with alcohol or drugs. I didn't say it was a good choice.

The article said the club was aware of his issues though, which surely means he would have been getting help.
Hope so as he is to good to be wasted away to the mercy of a bottle.

His off-field activities weren't exactly secrets. Second hand info but a few of my family members do a yearly dinner with a few Melbourne higher ups. They did one in January and asked about Hogan. They were told the club did everything they could to get Jesse to buy in but he remained reluctant. The club would have been happy to have him sign on but he didn't want to and so they took the opportunity to improve the list.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Poor choices around alcohol consumption'

Did he order Bacardi Breezers or something?
All well and good to make light hearted jokes etc but in all seriousness Jesse is very likely at a crossroad in his life right now not many want to be at at his age.

He is not the first or will be the last either. He needs help and I hope he gets it. Alcoholism is a terrible thing and I have seen it first hand regarding the effects it has on careers / friends and family.

It totally changes people and not for the better. :(

All well and good to make light hearted jokes etc but in all seriousness Jesse is very likely at a crossroad in his life right now not many want to be at at his age.

He is not the first or will be the last either. He needs help and I hope he gets it. Alcoholism is a terrible thing and I have seen it first hand regarding the effects it has on careers / friends and family.

I'm sure he is, but there is also a stink to this just like the Bennell dramas. Bennell was the highly fancied recruit who on the eve of his first game with the club in round 1 was mysteriously injured and has hardly reappeared. With all manner of rumours afterwards.

I wish Jesse all the best, but I wouldn't trust my club with this news at all.

Sounds like he got into a fight.

It’s a shame he is suffering with anxiety etc but it still shouldn’t be used an excuse for going out on the piss and getting into a fight literally a week before the season starts.

It’s like they throw that in there so that criticism can’t be directed at the club or the player for their very poor indescritions.

Even if I was struggling with anxiety, if I rocked up to work hungover on Monday after sloshing the reputation of my company I’d get fired and no one would give a s**t whether anxiety caused it or not.

Drunk drivers don’t get off going to jail because they had anxiety that lead them to make a poor choice whilst drinking too much.

Jesse needs to get help but there’s no excuses for ******* up so bad like this, especially at a new club.

Feel for the guy he's had a lot happen the last couple of years, but I also hate the association of poor behaviour and mental health issues.

If he's struggling to such an extent that his behaviour is impacted then he shouldn't be suspended but withdrawn from games.

If he's suspended for poor behaviour then any mental illnesses are irrelevant.

This messy tight rope walk doesn't help anyone.

I'm sure he is, but there is also a stink to this just like the Bennell dramas. Bennell was the highly fancied recruit who on the eve of his first game with the club in round 1 was mysteriously injured and has hardly reappeared. With all manner of rumours afterwards.

I wish Jesse all the best, but I wouldn't trust my club with this news at all.
I cannot comment what goes on behind closed doors internally at AFL clubs but not one is squeaky clean even my own.

Positive side is the fact he is still young with an ernormous amount of natural talent. Wether we actually see it though is anyone’s guess and I hope we do.

I don't agree with this.

If he's at the crossroads, take some time out for life, 12 months plus.

Not put yourself up for a trade.

It's piss weak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back