Jimmy Bartel - An All Time Great.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi Bay

As you know the greats are judged on finals performances, and more in particular Grand Final performances. Based on Bartel’s Grand Finals it’s safe to say he will go down as one of the all time greats alongside Carey, Ablett Snr & Brereton. Bartel is not only a 3 time premiership player, he is the main reason why Geelong won them. He should have two Norm Smith’s (was robbed in 2009) He's an elite kick, an elite overhead mark, an elite 'thinker' and a wonderful kick for goal and the man you go to in a crisis.

Let's have a quick look at this modern day freak :

2007 – Premium Midfielder of the competition and put out a 28 disposal, 5 tackle and 2 goal game. 145 Supercoach points – The highest on the ground. Freak.

2009 - Received votes in the Norm Smith voting with his 19 posession and get this…16 TACKLE game. Huge influence on the result and can’t be judged by his 19 posessions alone. His defensive role was HUGE. Freak.

2011 - The MAN finally gets his long deserved Norm Smith Medal. Collecting a massive 13 or a possible 15 votes. His 26 disposals and three goals was clearly BOG in an awe inspiring performance which didn’t surprise anyone. Freak.

As you can see James Bartel is indeed one of the all time greats of our great game.That's not for debate but feel free to add your own.

6 years on from his first grand final heroics he is now leading the Inside Footy Votes so far in 2013 after 7 rounds, again not surprising is it?He’s an all time great afterall.

I will bump in September when he wins his 3rd Moral Norm Smith :thumbsu:

He's done it all. I don't think he's the type that needs to retire and people look back and go wow he was brilliant wasn't he? Let's live in the now and just be pleased we have an all time great running around and appreciate him in the now.

Fair call.

No doubt an all time great, his finals record speaks for itself.
Has there been a more consistent elite finals performer? Has never had an "ordinary" final.

Yep gun player and stands up when it counts. He doesn't have to chip scab a bunch of possessions and/or a few cherry picked goals a game, he just does his job and does it very well in the H/A and then does it even better when he's needed.

Col Hutchinson the stats guru said on SEN last night he rated Bartel, Farmer and Ablett Snr as the best 3 Geelong players in the 50 years he has been keeping stats.
Very high praise from someone who has seen every Geelong game from 1958 onwards.
Of Bartel, he said has never seen a player who can perform at such a high standard in big games and finals, and was able to do so in a variety of positions.

Col Hutchinson the stats guru said on SEN last night he rated Bartel, Farmer and Ablett Snr as the best 3 Geelong players in the 50 years he has been keeping stats.
Very high praise from someone who has seen every Geelong game from 1958 onwards.
Of Bartel, he said has never seen a player who can perform at such a high standard in big games and finals, and was able to do so in a variety of positions.
Here's the second half of that interview. from about 9:42 is where Jimmy gets mentioned.

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Col-Hutchinson-Part-2/7943

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100% with the Op and with Col Hutchinson last night.

The most Complete footballer in the game bar none. most rounded. 9-9.5 in every skill category including 10's in Marking, Kicking and footy brain.

No Mistakes. and doing it for a decade.

Benefits from the work of others.

Good player, not close to great.

how is 16 tackles in a Grand Final "benefitting from others" ? Was it beneffiting from saints players not getting far enough away from him?

Benefits from the work of others.

Good player, not close to great.

I'll disagree on that point. Its a team sport so players help each other. Plus he has spent enough time forward and back (where he has to get his own ball) to prove that he is an awesome player.

Without this being too much of a B13 pisstake his '08 effort was mediocre I thought.

That's not to say I wouldn't want him on my team.

Without this being too much of a B13 pisstake his '08 effort was mediocre I thought.

Votes in the NSM in 3 winning Grand Finals, maybe that tells you how important he is to the team when he doesn't have a huge influence. He will make up for it this year when we play you in the GF this year. (Unless Sydney get to you in a prelim :D)

Was dominant in the 1st quarter, but was completely beaten after that by Sewell and spent the rest of the game playing for free kicks

Funny that game was missing in the OP though

Still a very good player though but will await with interest HP's responses

Remove this Banner Ad

Back