Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

He gives me Kyle Martin vibes.
As someone who has been watching Joe play since he was 16 and have spoken to him many times, he won't waste this opportunity the way Kyle did. Kyle had the talent to be a 10 year AFL player but didn't have the mentality. Joe will give it everything he has, he won't give up to go back to being the king of suburban footy.

Not saying he will definitely make it as a long term league player, but he will sure as hell give it all he's got

As someone who has been watching Joe play since he was 16 and have spoken to him many times, he won't waste this opportunity the way Kyle did. Kyle had the talent to be a 10 year AFL player but didn't have the mentality. Joe will give it everything he has, he won't give up to go back to being the king of suburban footy.

Not saying he will definitely make it as a long term league player, but he will sure as hell give it all he's got
Thanks, great to hear this.

Maybe a better comparison on playing ability is Sam Dwyer. Thought he had a bit to offer.

Dwyer was a good ordinary player. Popular, decent skills, quite reliable, but just not quite good enough.

Like Martin and Dwyer, Richards is a mature aged draftee. Hopefully he’s better than them though. Maybe he could aim a bit higher.

Josh Carmichael perhaps or John Noble are decent templates for him?

Bit hard at this stage to judge Richards as a lazy player who doesn’t want to be the best he can be….
Martin wasn't lazy. He just didn't like AFL. And frankly, Collingwood wouldn't have been much fun at the time, plus as a rookie at that time the money wasn't particularly good. He would have earned significantly more with a job and suburban star.

Martin wasn't lazy. He just didn't like AFL. And frankly, Collingwood wouldn't have been much fun at the time, plus as a rookie at that time the money wasn't particularly good. He would have earned significantly more with a job and suburban star.

Use any adjective you prefer, it amounts to the same thing. He didn’t have it in him. There’s been plenty like him over the decades.

He reminds me a bit of that guy we drafted out of Queensland and played a few years with us - I can't remember his name though.

Running player, half back / wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon he would also go alright as a small forward. His highlights package show some very good crumbing ability and snapping goals from both feet.
He’d also do well on a wing with his speed, good sidestep and good kicking skills

Reckon he would also go alright as a small forward. His highlights package show some very good crumbing ability and snapping goals from both feet.
He’d also do well on a wing with his speed, good sidestep and good kicking skills
Yeah, I reckon he actually is the best crumbing goalsneak we have on the list right now in terms of front and centre / crumbing instincts and multisided ability to snap goals (from his highlights obviously).

A faster Bianco would be handy.

Yeah, I reckon he actually is the best crumbing goalsneak we have on the list right now in terms of front and centre / crumbing instincts and multisided ability to snap goals (from his highlights obviously).
At the moment, they are aiming for him to take Nick's positon at half back. Has been training down back. But he has the capability to play multiple roles with his pace and good skills

To play similar to Caleb Daniel then? My only concern with that is when he’s caught one out in the back half…
Valid thought, but he attacks the ball OK and has performed well in 1 on 1's from what I have witnessed.
He worried one of the much bigger forwards out of a marking contest in a recent training drill and then, when the ball hit ground level, he ran it out of defence well.

I'd say Ginnivan, Sidebottom and Hill are ahead as crumbers.

To play similar to Caleb Daniel then? My only concern with that is when he’s caught one out in the back half…
If Richards becomes our Caleb Daniel, then he will have an AA blazer and a Copeland Trophy. Believe it or not, Daniel has achieved more in his career on-field than Jordan De Goey.

So I'm all for a Caleb Daniel clone.

This was his draft profile and it's very good: 2014 Draft Profile: Caleb Daniel.

People get fixated on his height without realising the skills he has.

Thats Daniels profile. What are Richards kicking skills like? Daniels was a prolific ball winner with amazing kicking skills in juniors who has to play half back at AFL. Not knocking Richards height, though at that height you usually need to be elite in a few other areas. Richards has speed but I'm wondering what else he brings that is elite?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back