Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Really impressive game. Clean hands, great pace, good skills, 2-way runner. What’s not to like. Hard to say if they’d go him or Murley if a spot became available, but both currently behind the incumbents and Ginni.

Really? Murley has come on that much in that short a time after being delisted/re-rookied?

Really? Murley has come on that much in that short a time after being delisted/re-rookied?

Murley’s work ethic is really good and he’s super quick. Probably had a dozen disposals and he kicked a couple of goals. I think he provides a better physical presence at this stage. Not sure why they dropped him to the rookie list but I’d assume it was just to provide senior list draft flexibility rather than them not wanting Murley. The battle between these to to establish their place in the pecking order will be an interesting watch.

Murley’s work ethic is really good and he’s super quick. Probably had a dozen disposals and he kicked a couple of goals. I think he provides a better physical presence at this stage. Not sure why they dropped him to the rookie list but I’d assume it was just to provide senior list draft flexibility rather than them not wanting Murley. The battle between these to to establish their place in the pecking order will be an interesting watch.

I would agree it’s not that they don’t want Murley, but there’s also an element there of being prepared to take the risk that we lose him. If we did that with Reef, or Beau, or Ginnivan there’d be rioting in the streets!

I would agree it’s not that they don’t want Murley, but there’s also an element there of being prepared to take the risk that we lose him. If we did that with Reef, or Beau, or Ginnivan there’d be rioting in the streets!
I would like to see both murley and Richards get a run this season at some point....like chugg last year...

It was a list management decision & we committed to redrafting him as a rookie.
If we'd done that with any of the other 3 you mentioned, they'd be playing in different colours.

How is Joe tracking?
He is 2 years older than Bianco and Ruscoe but hasn't been emergency much from my memory. Maybe one to move to the rookie list?
Prob will move to the rookie list.
But last few weeks from injury (minus last week, he was quiet) he has looked alright. But reckon just for list management, we'll put him on the rookie list.

How is Joe tracking?
He is 2 years older than Bianco and Ruscoe but hasn't been emergency much from my memory. Maybe one to move to the rookie list?
I suspect he'll be delisted for good by 2024. It's early days but the signs aren't promising. I write weekly updates on Reddit and bar the Frankston game, it's normally a copy pasta of 1.1, 8-12 disposals. There's some attributes to like but they're a mile off what was seen in the Ovens and Murray league. He hasn't ever been named as emergency or debuted (along with Draper, Murley, Dean and Steene).

Think his season was impacted massively by injury. They’ll be keen to see what he can produce next year before making a decision on him.

Missed about 8 weeks with injury, which obviously makes in tough. Has look good in the VFL in patches, played very well a couple of weeks ago when we belted someone but other than that hasn't done it consistently. Has the ability and I'd rate him over Murley and Draper

Think his season was impacted massively by injury. They’ll be keen to see what he can produce next year before making a decision on him.
He's contracted - so there's no need for them to waste time thinking about it yet. The only decision is do we want to move him to the rookie list - which I think we will.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Richards debuts at some point in the year. He is a strong player and will continue to excel in the VFL. Last year was not particularly thrilling stats-wise but his athleticism has improved, his skills are there and he works with our structure well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Richards debuts at some point in the year. He is a strong player and will continue to excel in the VFL. Last year was not particularly thrilling stats-wise but his athleticism has improved, his skills are there and he works with our structure well.

Needs to debut this year… is 24 years old, yet to play seniors and out of contract at years end :grimacing:

Needs to debut this year… is 24 years old, yet to play seniors and out of contract at years end :grimacing:
Not necessarily. Natural improvement will take him a long way and if he achieves that his age or lack of senior games might not be a hindrance

Last edited:
He’s probably the first small we call on now that Harrison is a midfielder.
I think he's quite a good player and can see him getting games this year. However, don't take that as gospel because there are bound to be people much better qualified than me who will say the opposite. I had to say the last bit in anticipation of being shot from all directions by those people much more qualified than me.

I think he's quite a good player and can see him getting games this year. However, don't take that as gospel because there are bound to be people much better qualified than me who will say the opposite. I had to say the last bit in anticipation of being shot from all directions by those people much more qualified than me.
He’s rated well internally. Fly and Skipworth have both mentioned him this off-season.

I don’t know much about him. Wouldn’t there be a few in front of him at this stage?
In the vfl last year he looked a bit like Murley, fast and clean but very small. Actually a bit like our coach was in his playing days. He's a chance if he works hard enough and things go right.

I think all of our recruits have some genuine assets that could make them players if they develop well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back