Joel Selwood Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

unrelenting sooking.

Demons laugh at Selwood complaint

AFL: The Melbourne players laughed in the face of Geelong's Joel Selwood after a cheeky dive from Ed Langdon fooled the umpire.
ba9c27510c8b0747893321bd8c16d60c

Joel Selwood: "He dived!!!"

Everyone else in the football world: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Been a wonderful player for my club- have enjoyed every minute of it. A true competitor, which obviously has good and bad points, but overwhelmingly been good from my perspective. Getting to the end now, and he probably won’t go gently into the night, but that’s fine with me, we owe him a lot. And hope he stays at the club in some context after his playing days are done. Go Joel.
This is it. He’s a champion of the GFC and has been (was) a top 5/10 player in the comp for a long period IMHO. I always saw his ability to draw a free kick as him playing the rules, and I just wondered why every player didn’t follow suit. It was frustrating but really was up to the AFL to do something about it.

He’s got a lot more annoying over the last two or three seasons as he’s slowed down and resorted to grubbier tactics more often. I can see him copping a hefty suspension and seriously tarnishing his reputation if it continues, which would be unfortunate.

I’ll call anyone a liar if they say they’d refuse an 18 year old Joel Selwood walking into their club.

This is it. He’s a champion of the GFC and has been (was) a top 5/10 player in the comp for a long period IMHO. I always saw his ability to draw a free kick as him playing the rules, and I just wondered why every player didn’t follow suit. It was frustrating but really was up to the AFL to do something about it.
Selwood was never a "top 5 player"

He’s got a lot more annoying over the last two or three seasons as he’s slowed down and resorted to grubbier tactics more often. I can see him copping a hefty suspension and seriously tarnishing his reputation if it continues, which would be unfortunate.
This is rubbish too. Selwood hasn't changed in the last 2-3 seasons. He has been a grub for his entire career. He could never handle tags and close attention, was always lashing out in frustration. e.g. He was banned for 4 weeks for king-hitting Brent Guerra 100m behind play back in 2011.

Here's Selwood getting away with eye-gouging Ben Howlett back in 2015.

NextHappygoluckyArchaeopteryx.gif

Last edited:

This is rubbish too. Selwood hasn't changed in the last 2-3 seasons. He has been a grub for his entire career. He could never handle tags and close attention, was always lashing out in frustration. e.g. He was banned for 4 weeks for king-hitting Brent Guerra 100m behind play back in 2011.

Did you miss that “IMHO”? Do I have to explain what that is?

And I said he’s got a lot more annoying. I reckon anyone who applied any thinking before mashing their keyboard would take that to mean I found him annoying in the past but more annoying more recently.

Carry on.

Probably would have been better if you just said you don’t like him. If you’re arguing that you have a problem with your memory or just can’t see past the hate.

Selwood in his prime (some time ago, clearly) was easily top 5 in the game.
If Selwood in his prime was "easily top 5 in the game" that also means Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell were easily top 5 in the game.
And so were Gary Ablett, Chris Judd, Lance Franklin, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Goodes, Scott Pendlebury and Dane Swan

That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for Nat Fyfe, Patrick Dangerfield and Dustin Martin, all of whom were superstars a level above Selwood.

Exactly. A grub. Dangerous on the field now bc he's playing so angry, he tries to take players out. I worry for next year, he will seriously hurt players next year given he's gotten away with so much these last few years.

He's the Andy Murray of midfielders.

Just like everyone use to pretend there was a 'Big 4' but it was really a 'Big 3 + Murray', Selwood has never been up there with the elite midfielders of his era like GAJ, Pendles, JPK or Danger.

Except he's won a lot more than Murray did. His will and ability to drag his team over the line is something Pendlebury lacks.

JPK, spare me.

Problem with Selwood is, you take away his incredible ability to draw a free kick, which he is the greatest of all time at doing, he is just a battler , a plodder, who doesn't kick goals has iffy disposal and minimal impact with his possessions.
Selwood is the best of the battlers

Nah, kicked 54 goals over 2013-14 when that was his role.

Massive impact on the club and culture, you actually have no idea what you're talking about, but that's cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, kicked 54 goals over 2013-14 when that was his role.

Massive impact on the club and culture, you actually have no idea what you're talking about, but that's cool.

Nah, he has kicked 33 goals in his last 5 seasons, about .5 goals per gamer over his career, so I reckon I do know what I am talking about .

that’s the difference between good players and great players playing in his position .

If Selwood in his prime was "easily top 5 in the game" that also means Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell were easily top 5 in the game.
And so were Gary Ablett, Chris Judd, Lance Franklin, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Goodes, Scott Pendlebury and Dane Swan

That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for Nat Fyfe, Patrick Dangerfield and Dustin Martin, all of whom were superstars a level above Selwood.
It’s crazy how 2005-2015 was just one season. But sure, we all remember that one season when Nick Riewoldt and Dusty were both in contention for best player (?????)

sure, we all remember that one season when Nick Riewoldt and Dusty were both in contention for best player (?????)
That's why I listed 12 players, not 5, you dummy

I didn't mention a heap of other players who were in & around the Top 10 at various stages of their careers: Robbie Gray, Travis Boak, Patrick Cripps, Josh Kennedy, Lachie Neale, Tom Mitchell, Rory Sloane, Brendon Goddard, Lenny Hayes, Dayne Beams, Dean Cox, Tom Hawkins, Jarryd Roughead, Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, Andrew Gaff, and JJ Kennedy

Not saying they were all better than Joel over the journey.
Just saying they all had individual seasons where they would've been ranked ahead of Selwood.

It's an exaggeration to say he was ever one of the Top 5 superstars of the comp.

Last edited:
That's why I listed 12 players, not 5, you dummy
you named 13 players whose careers spanned about 20 years, chief. that’s 100 opportunities to be a top 5 player in a season - i’d suggest every player you named had a legit claim to be a top 5 player for a year in their prime (or in most cases several years, since you named 13 of the best players of the century)

you named 13 players whose careers spanned about 20 years, chief. that’s 100 opportunities to be a top 5 player in a season - i’d suggest every player you named had a legit claim to be a top 5 player for a year in their prime (or in most cases several years, since you named 13 of the best players of the century)
WTF are you on about? 20 years?? Best players of this century? I never mentioned Voss, Hird, Pavlich, Lloyd, Black, Buckley, McLeod, Ricciuto, Tredrea, Brown, Hall, Cousins, Kerr, Crawford, West, Johnson, Harvey, Dal Santo, Akermanis, Wanganeen, Lappin, Darcy, Primus, Koutoufides and Richo.

Obviously I was thinking of Selwood's prime when I named a dozen players who could've been ranked as one of the Top 5 players in the years between 2008-2016. Gazza and Buddy alone have a mortgage on 2 places in the Top 5 for every one of those years. You can lock in Fyfe and Danger in from 2012-2016 and Dusty in 2015/16. Lock in Nick Riewoldt for 2008/09, Judd from 2009/10/11 and Swan from 2010/11.

I also mentioned another 17 players who had 1 or 2 individual seasons when they were ranked somewhere in the top 10 (anywhere from 1st to 10th). e.g. Goddard was one of the best players in the comp in 2009/10

Last edited:

I’ll call anyone a liar if they say they’d refuse an 18 year old Joel Selwood walking into their club.
Agreed. And yes, the will to win is still high but the body is slowing. He plays better on the edge but needs to keep his emotions in check because he can’t influence the contest like he once did.

of course you would take him, but that's not the point.

The point is he is just the best of the battlers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back