Joel Selwood Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Y'all getting caught up on "who's a better bloke". Who cares if he's well loved off the field or if he's a "good bloke"

He used to just be a little aggressive and do that drop the knees raise the arm combo to get high tackle frees.

He's getting worse though and now when time he takes the field he whines to the umps, flops like a fish, throws elbows and cheats.

Makes Geelong games hard to watch

I’m sorry why?

are people so silly now that they are going to equate all mental challenges with only the most serious ones because they are too simplistic to recognise magnitudes? a low level mental challenge such as failing to exhibit a skill you are subconsciously well trained at due to crowd pressure is a mental illness if the failure rate is high just like suffering extreme chemical imbalances that cause deep depression is a mental illness. the level of magnitudes in difference are dramatic. The solutions to fixing them are different. The variatiion in impact they have on your life is dramatically different. And all people understand this even if we use the one broad brush term to describe all of it. They are all a result of a part of the brain not operating as it does in the majority of people. I’m sorry if you don’t understand the full extent of the term. please don’t just equate it with the most extreme version of it.
you're doubling down on Richo having a mental illness because...have you checked his goal kicking accuracy vs the norm?

anyway moving on, let's keep the thread on topic

Oh dear. Quit while you’re behind dude.
OK fair enough, I do maintain though that 99% of other players do not mimic Selwood's high-tackle drawing MO, and that this is prime evidence that his style is not held in high esteem league-wide.

It tends to be something players do when they are young, remember Toby McClean coming into the league, Dylan Grimes is an example at Richmond, players that played for frees early but, once they matured or had the spotlight put on the behaviour, put the nonsense away.

Joel is probably unique in Peter-Panning that behaviour, but not all his fault, he has clearly been enabled to some degree by his club.

hodgey Attacks Selwood 3 seperate times in 20 seconds. Selwood just keeps playing the ball. The umpire only gives away a free on the third one 25 metres off the ball. And then hodgey sooks over it like he is hard done by. Hodge was a disgrace. Can you imagine the response if the roles were reversed.

Classic whataboutism. Hodge was a campaigner on the field too. Doesn't justify Selwoods bullshittery

Classic whataboutism. Hodge was a campaigner on the field too. Doesn't justify Selwoods bullshittery
The post was for the hawthorn supporters complaining selwood is a sook. Not for the Sydney supporter. We can post footage of Goodes acting like a campaigner just like hodge and Selwood if you like? There is even one of Goodes striking Selwood off the ball.

The post was for the hawthorn supporters complaining selwood is a sook. Not for the Sydney supporter. We can post footage of Goodes acting like a campaigner just like hodge and Selwood if you like? There is even one of Goodes striking Selwood off the ball.
Goodes did have a bad run there where he started to play for frees and I think it tarnished his reputation. Selwood has made it a cornerstone of his career.

Selwood is skilled, brave and a natural leader. He plays within the rules and he's rightly said that he won't change his approach unless the rules change.

But he milks frees. He just does. He drops at the knees and lifts his arms to force high contact and I think he's not held in the high regard he might have been.

Nobody is saying Selwood is the only campaigner ever to flop or duck or cheat or complain to the umps.

We're just pointing out he's the only guy to do it *constantly* and it's detrimental to his image. I'm sure he doesn't give a **** and will do whatever he can as long as it helps his team, but as a neutral spectator who just wants to see good footy, having this campaigner flopping around like a fish and sniping is an eye sore.

Nobody is saying Selwood is the only campaigner ever to flop or duck or cheat or complain to the umps.

We're just pointing out he's the only guy to do it *constantly* and it's detrimental to his image. I'm sure he doesn't give a fu** and will do whatever he can as long as it helps his team, but as a neutral spectator who just wants to see good footy, having this campaigner flopping around like a fish and sniping is an eye sore.
You have not showed it is constant in regards to sooking or cheating (whatever that means). And no one has ever showed a duck. You just like to use that term even though it has nothing to do with Selwood lowering the knees.

And they changed the rules two years ago so lowering the knees wouldn’t get frees. Selwood still gets frees. Most of his frees are not to do with lowering the knees. he just goes into the contest harder. Yes sometimes they are there but most of the time they are just genuine frees.

Forget the entire seasons and the influence he had across those years (which like others have said has been well documented). I’d suggest taking a look at the second quarter of the 2011 GF. If he and Bartel hadn’t risen to the level that they did the game might have been over at half time.
Ewww... It's obvious what you do when looking at Selwood pictures.

Goodes did have a bad run there where he started to play for frees and I think it tarnished his reputation. Selwood has made it a cornerstone of his career.

Selwood is skilled, brave and a natural leader. He plays within the rules and he's rightly said that he won't change his approach unless the rules change.

But he milks frees. He just does. He drops at the knees and lifts his arms to force high contact and I think he's not held in the high regard he might have been.
Plenty in the know have said Selwood wouldn't / couldn't draw frees if tackled lower. Once coaches insisted on the man with the ball having his arm pinned there was the risk of footballers like Selwood drawing high contact.

Nine times out of 10 Selwood has played on before the umpire has awarded the free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hodgey Attacks Selwood 3 seperate times in 20 seconds. Selwood just keeps playing the ball. The umpire only gives away a free on the third one 25 metres off the ball. And then hodgey sooks over it like he is hard done by. Hodge was a disgrace. Can you imagine the response if the roles were reversed.

Interesting they cut the camera at 0.06 to maybe skim over a very important detail

If Selwood plays next year, watch the arrogant, sore-losing tosser take out one of the opposition's players in each game - a head high tackle here, attempted smother there which breaks someone's legs, push in the back etc.

The sooner he leaves the game the better for all of us who believe in fair play and justice. Dog dog dog of a player. May he disappear into the abyss.

He's played well over 300 games in 15 seasons and been part of 3 premiership teams. Must have been doing something right all these years. I've never regarded him a "ducker" as such, he developed this style of warding off the tackle with his arm resulting in many free kicks for high contact. Whether it's illegal, the umpires don't appear to think so. Neither do I. For years I've claimed many players don't go in low enough with the tackle.

I've never regarded him a "ducker" as such, he developed this style of warding off the tackle with his arm resulting in many free kicks for high contact.

For some obscure reason umpires in this era have fallen in love with Selwood even paying his "headbutts" as high tackles.

Personally I think if you headbutt someone you should get suspended.

He's played well over 300 games in 15 seasons and been part of 3 premiership teams. Must have been doing something right all these years. I've never regarded him a "ducker" as such, he developed this style of warding off the tackle with his arm resulting in many free kicks for high contact. Whether it's illegal, the umpires don't appear to think so. Neither do I. For years I've claimed many players don't go in low enough with the tackle.
Ducking is lowering the head or body. So bending the knees to lower the body is a form of ducking.

Been a wonderful player for my club- have enjoyed every minute of it. A true competitor, which obviously has good and bad points, but overwhelmingly been good from my perspective. Getting to the end now, and he probably won’t go gently into the night, but that’s fine with me, we owe him a lot. And hope he stays at the club in some context after his playing days are done. Go Joel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back