John Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

joybell27

All Australian
May 27, 2001
On the boundary line!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Here is an article from the kangaroos site.

The fitness of veteran John Blakey is concerning the Kangaroos as they prepare for Saturday’s clash with the West Coast Eagles at Subiaco Oval.

Blakey was carried from the ground during the third quarter of last Saturday’s 68-point loss to Hawthorn - his 350th senior game - after receiving a heavy knock. He spent the rest of the day on the bench with slight concussion.

But Blakey’s output on the field has not reached his usual level this season. A knee injury suffered in the second week of the Wizard Home Loans Cup kept him out of senior action for just under two months and a knock on the shoulder against the Cats in round three hampered him for a couple of weeks, even though he did not miss a game with the ailment.

Last Saturday, he had had only one handball for the game when he left the ground injured.

“We’re really concerned with John, with his ability to perhaps get four quarters under his belt,” coach Denis Pagan said before training on Tuesday. “It’s a real worry. We just had a discussion and we were saying to John then, ‘What’s the best thing for you to get yourself match hardened and fit?’ We’ll have a talk about it further in the week.”

The 35 year-old veteran has had a fortunate run with injuries over his career, with Pagan saying he had only missed around six of the club’s last 217 games. Blakey wants to play against the Eagles, but 2002 has so far been less than ideal for him and Pagan does not want that to continue.

“I remember when he first did his knee, we probably should have played him a couple of games (in the VFL) after missing six weeks and let him get match-hardened and fit,” the Kangaroos coach said. “All he’s doing is chasing his tail at the moment in terms of injury and in terms of form. It’s put him behind the eight-ball a bit.”

“We want to make sure we do the right thing for John. We didn’t do it last time. I know Johnny looked into my eyes and got to me a bit and I played him perhaps a week earlier than I should have. We don’t want to do that any more.”

Blakey trained with the main group in an effort to prove his fitness, but the club will leave a decision as to whether or not he plays against the Eagles until after training on Thursday. As valuable as Blakey is to the side, Pagan said they will have to weigh up the pros and cons of playing the underdone veteran, particularly with the side on the rebound from a disappointing showing against the Hawks.

“There are so many things that go through your match committee’s mind when you’ve had a loss like that, (especially with) Johnny being a proven player,” he said.

“As good a player as he is and as much as we want him in the side, we want to make sure that it’s not a band-aid effect and we give him the best preparation for the rest of the season.”

A back problem restricted vice-captain Glenn Archer to light training on Tuesday, but the club expects him to be fit to take on West Coast.

As much as I love Blakey I think he should be left out of the team this week. He should take the time to get his body right and find some form in the magoos.

hear hear....magoos for fitness...TEAGUE UP TO THE SENIORS! or harris for that matter....either would be good....then again petrie would be good to see as well as young sinclair and mclaren hehe

It's a fair call, maybe even a week off completely (for an even better recovery, and indirectly it avoids the ignominy of being dropped to the MKs), then resume in the magoos.

If John starts to falter this year I hope he retires and does't face the indignation of playing out next season in the twos. (Unless he wants to stick around and play that role as the guiding hand for the youngsters in the twos).

In fact that would be a great role for him at the club in the next few years. He says he wants to coach. Could he be employed as a fitness advisor and player mentor, as well as dropped from the senior list but kept on in a playing capacity in the twos.

He needs a week off or two but the notion of him retiring? He hadn't miss a game in over 3 years + up until now so whats the rush.
I'd love to see him brake 400 in Nth colours!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back