John Howard Presents the Frisbee - Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the Ross Oakley 'Open Mike' interview on Fox Footy where he explained about how and why he did away with the PM presenting the cup on Grand Final day in the 1980s.

Basically, PM always gets booed, doesn't look great, Hawkey was rapt to not have to and having ex-champions present is win/win all round, etc.

So why has the A-League gone down this road?

Apart from unexpectedly teaching us that Kristian Sarkies and Danny Allsopp will probably vote Liberal at the next Fed Election, it came off as Oakley and Hawke could've told you.

Lots of booing and uncomfortable moments interspersed with hollow congratulations/commiserations.

We couldn't have got Paul Wade? Charlie Yankos? Paul Trimboli? Alex Tobin?

Hilarious watching him struggle with the medals all in a tangle then the host continuing to read out the names at record pace. Very funny to watch but your right the whole ceremony was poorly thought out

Exactly. Keep him in the stands (and I hear Rudd was supporting Adelaide? He must need seats there or something). Would have been great to get a legend from the respective state to present the dunny seat.

Apart from unexpectedly teaching us that Kristian Sarkies and Danny Allsopp will probably vote Liberal at the next Fed Election

Absolutely cringeworthy what those two did, especially Allsop posing for the photo. :eek:

Not surprising in the slightest that Howard got booed. I remember everyone booed the ******** at the 2001 Uruguay qualifier at the MCG too.

Why? It should be a privilege to get our leader presenting the medal.

Absolutely cringeworthy what those two did, especially Allsop posing for the photo. :eek:

Not surprising in the slightest that Howard got booed. I remember everyone booed the ******** at the 2001 Uruguay qualifier at the MCG too.

So just because people support their elected leader its cringe worthy? Good on Danny. I would have done the same.. and kissed him on the head lol!

Oh and JH got cheered at the commonwealth games.

Why? It should be a privilege to get our leader presenting the medal.

So just because people support their elected leader its cringe worthy? Good on Danny.

Unless Danny, you or I live in the seat of Bennelong we didn't vote for him.

And the office of Prime Minister is based on selection, not election.

So get out your pom-poms for JWH if that floats your boat, but don't trumpet the 'E-word' like it's some sort of justification or vindication for him rocking up to another sporting event he should be watching, not participating in.

I don't care if you win 38-0 if you cheer Howard your an idiot.

Im an idiot.

Unless Danny, you or I live in the seat of Bennelong we didn't vote for him.

And the office of Prime Minister is based on selection, not election.

So get out your pom-poms for JWH if that floats your boat, but don't trumpet the 'E-word' like it's some sort of justification or vindication for him rocking up to another sporting event he should be watching, not participating in.

Errr... we voted for out local member, if that local member was Liberal...... it was a vote for Howard. Dont play semantics.

Im not really fussed if he presented the awards or not, better than having Steve 'we cant have a 50k stadium' Bracks presenting it. i can guarantee the boo's would have been twice as loud if he awarded it.

As long as the right team got the trophy, I'm not fussed.

DSCF6228.jpg

And they did.

btw I don't think Sarkies kissing Howard on the head shows he will vote liberal. I think it shows his lack of respect towards him, also it shows Howard's bald. Alsopp on the other hand may be, unless he's a cooky character and wants a cheesy photo of him and the pm.

If I was Muscat I'd mention something in my speech like "thanks to Mr. Howard who in the interest of justice and humanity has decided to bring David Hicks to Australia just in time for the election" but you'd get flogged by the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought they were both taking the piss out of him as well but even if they weren't the fact that they are two Melbournians who just won a championship for their local team is good enough for me.

btw I don't think Sarkies kissing Howard on the head shows he will vote liberal. I think it shows his lack of respect towards him, also it shows Howard's bald. Alsopp on the other hand may be, unless he's a cooky character and wants a cheesy photo of him and the pm.

If I was Muscat I'd mention something in my speech like "thanks to Mr. Howard who in the interest of justice and humanity has decided to bring David Hicks to Australia just in time for the election" but you'd get flogged by the media.
how good would that have been? how bout just telling him "john howard thanks, but you are a tool."

If you love John Howard so much why don't you vote for gay marriage and marry him?

Haha. All im saying is i think it adds to the occasion if the PM awards the medal.

The players didn't seem to mind.

But like it has been said, as long as the right team won... nothing else matters.

As a rule of thumb, political leaders shouldn't present medals at sporting ceremonies, especially political leaders like Howard, who is the master of divisive politics.
Not to mention the fact that Howard is crap at presenting medals in the first place. Rugby world cup 2003 ring a bell??

cannot see a problem with it at all. Better than some has been from the NSL presenting it. The only exception would be johnny warren presenting it, but obviously that's not going to happen.

All politicians get booed at such events, and IMO should stay well clear of them.

Was that Johnnies first A-League game?

Funny to see Rann and Rudd sat next to each other in United scarfes looking like they had both just lost the election.

Hard on the United players to have to go up individually and all get booed (a bit off I thought).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back