Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

We are clearly a bottom 2 side this season and have been in decline for a couple of seasons now. If anyone on this board thinks this is not Horses fault then they have more issues than our footy club. Horse has to go. I'll even start a Go Fund Me to pay him out. Surely now the board has to answer some tough questions in public

It hasnt been a slow decline either we havent tumbled down a mountain we have hit the bottom very quickly.

Longmire is a fern. Everything else around it evolves, but the fern has stayed the same the last few hundred million years.
The list and game style has been completely overhauled over the last 2-3 seasons. Leaving aside the plummeting age profile and the recruitment of fast, outside players to fit a running game plan, today was an (another) example of the game style you and others claim to want. Play on, high handball, looking for any clean entries into the fifty rather than hanging back and looking for a deep one.

I know you're upset and bereft of ideas of what to post about in your anger, but please, please stop spamming the same bullshit over and over again when it's been addressed multiple times.

The list and game style has been completely overhauled over the last 2-3 seasons. Leaving aside the plummeting age profile and the recruitment of fast, outside players to fit a running game plan, today was an (another) example of the game style you and others claim to want. Play on, high handball, looking for any clean entries into the fifty rather than hanging back and looking for a deep one.

I know you're upset and bereft of ideas of what to post about in your anger, but please, please stop spamming the same bullshit over and over again when it's been addressed multiple times.

Play the ball, not the man.

Also a young team does not mean a team full of potential. Any potential the Swans players do have is being squandered by Longmire playing them out of position.

Play the ball, not the man.
I directly addressed your incorrect sooking about Longmire's not evolving.
. Any potential the Swans players do have is being squandered by Longmire playing them out of position.
No mate, you disagreeing on the positioning of some players does not mean that any potential young players have is being wasted.

I directly addressed your incorrect sooking about Longmire's not evolving.
No mate, you disagreeing on the positioning of some players does not mean that any potential young players have is being wasted.

I would argue that both Mills and Heeney have had their development hampered. Mills by being played out of position and Heeney by being played everywhere and never real geting a position. I also think Hewett is being wasted as a tagger.

We lost 6 in a row one of those years though. The writing was on the wall then that something was wrong.

I could turn that around and say that that year we won 7 in a row too.

The deceptive one was 2018 when we were crap for most of the year but made finals on an easy first half fixture.

I would argue that both Mills and Heeney have had their development hampered. Mills by being played out of position and Heeney by being played everywhere and never real geting a position. I also think Hewett is being wasted as a tagger.
Again, you thinking three players are being sued out of position does not mean any potential young players on our list have is being squandered. Your arguments are bullshit and hyperbole.

It was only 2 years ago all of Mills, Heeney and Hewett were young players, and their talents are being sqruandered and their development hampered.
I'm not sure why you're repeating this over and over again, but:
Again, you thinking three players are being used out of position does not mean any potential young players on our list have is being squandered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fear he’s taking us back to the rock bottom days of the early 90’s

He inherited a top team, stole a premiership and has underachieved since

The decision to extend his contract was a shocker

Last edited:
I appreciate what Horse has done for this club but I'm starting to fear the game might have gone past him. The landscape 5-10 years ago was very different to what it is now. Maybe his gameplan only works with experienced, mature bodies I guess? Back at our peak we were built like bulls and that helped with the heavy-contested gameplan which did wonders in the early 2010s. Now it seems like we have a lot of skinny players and less grunt. Its a very different team compared to what Horse inherited. All I can say is 3.5 years is a long, long time.

So what’s your suggested winning game plan for a team of inexperienced, no grunt, skinny (and short) players?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Holy moly, a lot of doom and gloom here. Heaven forbid a bottom 4 team loses against two predicted top 4 teams.

Two loses in a row? From a young team? Lots on injuries? Coach should be sacked.

I watched a young team fumble away an amazing first quarter trying to take the game on. Then they were out grunted by a more experienced and better team.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, let's see where this team takes us over the next few years. We can be worried about the coach when he losses the players.

I will continue to criticise , I pay my membership and I will say what I won't . It is not the way to Coach , the way to coach is what Dew and Fagan are doing. He should never have got another 3 years , the club panicked because of Norths offer . Then he puts McVeigh in with no idea what any other club is doing and gets rid of the highly rated Tadgh .

Coach like Dew, as in come second bottom twice and finally clinch a wooden spoon, until you are totally loaded with top draft picks?

Yep, I only half agreed to what you said.
Of course will develop and improve their skills.. hes rated amongst the 18 clubs as one of the best coaches.
Contested style of footy was the style that suited the team 2010 - 2019, so he coached that way. The emerging list of players suits a faster style of footy,, so thats how hes coaching. For a young player to showcase their skills is very hard.. much easier with the confidence of 4+ seasons experience. Skills will continue to improve next year and the year after that... so on and so on...

'So he's gonna have to change his coaching philosophy to put a greater focus on skills. Not saying he won't, or hasn't already, but it doesn't mean he will, either. I dont understand? You're saying, or not saying, he will or won't? or has he already??

Can we bear in mind that not only are our players young (ie learning the game and the game plan, developing skills, vision and decision making, and strengthening their bodies), but also only 3 of our best available 22 were top 10 draftees.

It's almost like the league has intentionally put in mechanisms to ensure that teams who are at the top of the league for an extended period of time eventually fall back to the pack while teams that are rubbish for ages are able to collect a large group of the most talented young players in the hope that eventually they lift themselves up...

Last edited:
Thought Horse had an OK day at the office. We really needed to be sharper in the first half to capitalise on just how 'on' we were, but we failed to do that, and the boys didn't adjust to a defensive game quick enough (not surprising given our inexperienced side.) Combine all that with the fact his hands were tied with the borderline unprecedented injury crisis to our talls, against a team boasting names like Naitanui, McGovern, Kennedy and Darling - there really wasn't a lot he could do except hope our boys were better than they were.

I was really surprised though that he couldn't get our boys to fire up at HT, and particularly 3QT. It's usually one of his absolute strengths is getting the boys to put up a great fight even when the game is not going our way. I don't know if it was the residual fatigue from the game slipping out of our reach. I'm not sure, but a lot of guys looked very casual. That's not something you can usually say about any Swans team.

This thread is always good for a laugh after a loss as rarely does anyone post after a win.

Longmire is trying things, some times they work some times they fail. We don’t hug the boundary line anymore and it’s this risk reward style that has its moments.

Still for those who melt and want to set up a go fund me page to sack him. The unemployment rate is rising rapidly there are probably those who need our donations more urgently.

This thread is always good for a laugh after a loss as rarely does anyone post after a win.

Longmire is trying things, some times they work some times they fail. We don’t hug the boundary line anymore and it’s this risk reward style that has its moments.

Still for those who melt and want to set up a go fund me page to sack him. The unemployment rate is rising rapidly there are probably those who need our donations more urgently.

Free speech, he is a fossil from other times. Has not got an offensive bone 🦴 in his body .

Even though we lost, I was happy to see him try a few things. It was nice conditions so it was entertaining seeing us try to run the ball through the middle. We were making shorter kicks, looking inside more and trying players in different positions. This season we also don't seem to have a spare back as much which means we get caught on the counter attack a bit more.

Though I don't think we will play that style every week.

ill make them thumbnails, and its a bit simplistic but the encouraging signs here are comparing 2 2018 games against 2 this year

certainly more forward/centre and corridor based with where we go with the ball

now it might not be significant, maybe it doesnt work, we can go back and forth discussing that, however its changed, i want to see more of it

Attachments

• 9E9BFA90-37B6-4807-8308-5B4350E76668.png
    9E9BFA90-37B6-4807-8308-5B4350E76668.png
    757.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 21E6399C-71B5-4143-A09A-D7F7F77A81B3.png
    21E6399C-71B5-4143-A09A-D7F7F77A81B3.png
    762.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 88C45CB7-0B01-4291-AD0D-A2A39AD4B868.png
    88C45CB7-0B01-4291-AD0D-A2A39AD4B868.png
    747.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 2A185B74-9AFD-4CE3-BFD2-27222976F754.png
    2A185B74-9AFD-4CE3-BFD2-27222976F754.png
    746.1 KB · Views: 27
ill make them thumbnails, and its a bit simplistic but the encouraging signs here are comparing 2 2018 games against 2 this year

certainly more forward/centre and corridor based with where we go with the ball

now it might not be significant, maybe it doesnt work, we can go back and forth discussing that, however its changed, i want to see more of it

If we had the application of the 2018 team with the game plan of our 2020 team, we would be a top four side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back