Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it not the same ? Roos played, retired, become an assistant at the same club he played then coached that club. McVeigh played for the club, become an assistant at the club and may have aspirations to coach the club. How are Roos and him or the way they have gone about their journey to become a senior coach any different ?
At least Roos had seen a different way under other coaches

Roos had at least experienced football at another club, and under other coaches. McVeigh had two coaches during his time - Roos and Longmire. While their coaching specifics would have been different, the overall club philosophy remained pretty constant. So McVeigh hasn't had exposure to a completely different set-up.

Also, Roos is pretty much the exception to the rule that recently retired players generally don't move successfully into coaching at the club they (recently) retired from.
Voss , Buckley , Watson etc

Interesting discussion about prospective coaches and whether they need to experience coaching apprenticeships at other clubs before returning home.

McPointy just seems a super smart character and looks to have the goods to coach but he has not experienced other programs. He has always seemed a clear communicator.

I have resolved my prejudice about Spike’s days at the Drugons. I was really impressed with his efforts at the Allies. He just seems smart, empathic and a terrific communicator. He also seemed to handle the in with the new, out with the old changes at the Giants.

As the most innovative Club in the comp we could, without shock, appoint the brothers as joint head coaches. It could work.

I reckon if Cox, who must be favourite, is lured back West we could look at the brothers.

No but there are plenty here ready to push him off the cliff. You only have to read the better off without Buddy posts throughout last year to know how we roll around here.:rolleyes:
Fortunately I don't think the people who make the decisions at club hold those views.

I think Pridham, in particular, just loves Longmire and I wouldn't be surprised if he viewed him as the most valuable person to have at your football club in the entire league - player, coach, or admin.

Fortunately I don't think the people who make the decisions at club hold those views.

I think Pridham, in particular, just loves Longmire and I wouldn't be surprised if he viewed him as the most valuable person to have at your football club in the entire league - player, coach, or admin.

Everyone love’s John, although the discussion has been about who will replace him going forward .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the club is any rush to move on from Longmire.
I get the sense Longmire won't be leaving his position until he personally feels he's had enough. When that is, no one knows but John. It would take something pretty drastic for him to get the sack.

Regardless of my thoughts about his coaching merits, I’d be astounded if he goes on after this contract is complete

It feels like the club is getting us ready for a transition to one of the assistants

Those rumours on Cox didn’t just leak randomly last year

I have long hoped the transition would see Longmire move into what was Charley Corporates job. But events moved on last year.

I have been a critic and the bloke has limitations (who doesn’t?) but he is a heart and soul person and loved in the Club and respected across the broad footy community.

Last season I really enjoyed some half time vision of Don at the white board drawing and rattling though strategy and tactics with John standing by his side translating and reinforcing the messages. It was terrific.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back