Bumped Jordan Murdoch

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is though as soon as Cowan was out it became a certainty he'd play that role. We had nobody else who could play there and it's clearly a role the MC think is essential. I think there's going to be some very disappointed posters for the rest of the year because almost everybody thinks whoever plays that defensive midfield role is s**t. It's happened ever since Varcoe's last year and the player in that role has been roundly criticised except for perhaps a week or two at the end of last year when Cowan got into the good books for a brief moment.

I don't think Murdoch is s**t.

I do think he's not suited to that position, and is far, far better as a forward.

He's nothing like Caddy.
Caddy is a C to B grade footballer who has actually performed well against quality opposition in his career to date.
Murdoch is barely AFL quality and all his best performances have been against weak teams.
He's horrid and the only thing going for him is his leg speed. He has no footy IQ whatsoever. Piss poor he's still on the bloody list taking up a spot.

I mean he is like Caddy in that he has a good game, by his standards, but doesnt follow it up.

He's nothing like Caddy.
Caddy is a C to B grade footballer who has actually performed well against quality opposition in his career to date.
Murdoch is barely AFL quality and all his best performances have been against weak teams.
He's horrid and the only thing going for him is his leg speed. He has no footy IQ whatsoever. Piss poor he's still on the bloody list taking up a spot.
Really, that is a ridiculous comment.

Questioning his place in the side is one thing. Questioning if someone should be on a list is another.
We added something like 11 players last year.

Which pick in the 90's would you prefer instead of him?

Really, that is a ridiculous comment.

Questioning his place in the side is one thing. Questioning if someone should be on a list is another.
We added something like 11 players last year.

Which pick in the 90's would you prefer instead of him?

No doubt there's kids around the country even mature ages who could peice together more value for us then Murdoch. Its just a matter of identifying them, plenty of good players come from later picks. Murdoch came from a time where recruiting was focused on athletisism, i had a bloke from school who was a complete hack at footy play in the Eastern Rangers squad because he was 199cm tall and athletic. Thank god recuriters are now verging back to recruiting good footballers.

Honestly we could just run at a minimum list and save some money in the cap for next year rather than wasting time and resources on him. We saw what Parsons can do last week he and Parfitt already have more upside then a Murdoch whose reached his ceiling.

At his best, he belongs in the team.
Lacks consistency. Good depth player

At his best, what is it?
Look at other players his age who play a similar position and they are now more advanced and their output is significantly greater.
Murdoch is still playing like a 3rd year player.
13.5 disposals, 2.5 tackles, 0.6 goals per game last year and is currently going at 16.5 disposals, 3.3 tackles, 0.3 goals per game this year.
Darcy Lang was dropped after one game for putting up 14 disposals, 3 tackles, 1 goal and he's four years younger and played 40 games fewer than Jordan Murdoch.

Of course there are differences.

You could also say Murdoch is faster and a longer kick too.
Having had this discussion with The rabbi in person the gist of what he's saying is that it's an indictment on Murdoch that at 190cms he can't take a contested mark. He should be able to at his height.

I am not one here to shitbag players, or pick those I am going to shitcan every single week.

But I honestly can't remember the last time Murdoch played a good game. Maybe early 2015? It's a massive shame as he looked half decent - probably because he bobbed up every week to kcik a goal or two early on.
Freo rd 1.
Bulldogs at Etihad 2016.
Got too many VFL games last year when we were in need of pace and goals late 16.

Playing predominately forward (his best position) so what do they do the following two games, play him mainly in the back half. :rolleyes:
Maybe it's the tactic they use when they have competition for spots- play a fringe player out of his best position, he doesn't deliver, they justify dropping him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I have seen this over the years though. Many coaches.
Murdoch
Bews
Smedts
Gamble
Mensch
Sure others can be added.

Ya gotta be versatile though Dubs, isn't that the mantra today?

Smedts is one that stands out there, only time he looked like a half decent player was at the start of 2013 as a crumbing forward, got injured and when he returned was played down back, couple of years later and he delisted.

Wasn't Mensch always a CHF?

Ya gotta be versatile though Dubs, isn't that the mantra today?

Smedts is one that stands out there, only time he looked like a half decent player was at the start of 2013 as a crumbing forward, got injured and when he returned was played down back, couple of years later and he delisted.

Wasn't Mensch always a CHF?
FB, Ruck, Mr Fixit, but a bit short for the positions he was asked to play, and often maligned and dropped.

FB, Ruck, Mr Fixit, but a bit short for the positions he was asked to play, and often maligned and dropped.

Don't recall him playing FB, but it was more then a week ago and that's about as far back as my memory works these days. :)

And yeah I agree, not the worst player ever to pull on a pair of footy boots despite the caning he cops on here from time to time.

Murdoch is a total spud, lacks heart and crumbles under pressure, he's a liability and no way Geelong wins any finals with a dud like that in the side, in fact he's played in 4 finals and we've lost them all, he's average in those finals was 7 disposals and .5 goals per game which says it all.
What little confidence he may have had is shot. Has had more than enough chances and shown very little to indicate that he will ever improve. Treats the ball like a hot potato and dishes off when he should be breaking lines. Has the evasive skills of a telegraph pole. Makes Kane Tenace look like a 250 gamer.
Rather throw a young guy into the mix and see what they can offer.

HFF or nothing.

Has pace, can kick a good goal on the run and if and when he f**** up at least it's in our forward half.

You can delete the 'if'.

But I do I agree wholeheartedly that Murdoch plays his best football at HF. Seems everyone does, except the club.

I would be interested to know how many of his 70 odd games he's played there, because I don't think it's a minority and yet he has still only produced a handful of noteworthy performances. The 4 goal effort against Carlton, 3 important goals against the hawks in 2013, plus a few other 2-3 goal efforts, none of which I can actually recall but the stats of which I looked up.

My kids actually laugh whenever he gets the ball and makes a mistake (which is often!) because they know how much I detest him. How he is still on the list is one of life's great mysteries. Must have incriminating photos of the coach...
He is the modern day Shannon Byrnes. At least Shannon played a great game in the 2009 GF (although matched up on a spud in Raf Clarke) - as an earlier post said, Murdoch has not done anything in a final. They got rid of the showboat Caddy because of that, time to follow suit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back