Bumped Jordan Murdoch

Remove this Banner Ad

I was impressed with his work rate on the weekend, particularly early.

Also he looks stronger, late in the game he collided with a Saints player in our 50 and they literally bounced off him while he barely budged.

Looks infinitely better playing predominately forward

''Twas Riewoldt :thumbsu:

Has he even seen himself play? Overhead marking? I saw him do it last weekend for the first time in his career.
In a preseason game at KP vs the Crows, way back in his early days he flew across the front of the pack, took the over head mark, played on and kicked a left footer from about 45 m out and drained it.

From that day on, he's left me hanging in suspense... waiting for that same kind of repeat moment.

He's had a few but way too far in between. If he can shorten the chasms between the moments, we all will enjoy the ride as the talent and ability is there.... and he's running out of time.

Go Catters

In a preseason game at KP vs the Crows, way back in his early days he flew across the front of the pack, took the over head mark, played on and kicked a left footer from about 45 m out and drained it.

From that day on, he's left me hanging in suspense... waiting for that same kind of repeat moment.

He's had a few but way too far in between. If he can shorten the chasms between the moments, we all will enjoy the ride as the talent and ability is there.... and he's running out of time.

Go Catters
He's not going to get many more of those moments playing 80% down back, like he has the past couple of seasons.

He's not going to get many more of those moments playing 80% down back, like he has the past couple of seasons.
Which is why I've been banging on about getting him forward..

Gives him more freedom to play innate footy rather than thinking footy.. which is his best imo..
go Catters

Which is why I've been banging on about getting him forward..

Gives him more freedom to play innate footy rather than thinking footy.. which is his best imo..
go Catters

He seems to be playing more midfield/forward this year than he has in previous years where he seemed to have spent more time down back.

His spot isn't secure, but he finally seems to be playing a role suited to him over consecutive weeks without chopping & changing his role - keep him in this spot if he is going to be holding down a spot in the 22

Running into improved form, and since Scooter has been in the team, Murdoch's defensive and tackle game has improved immensely.

Agree, his intent above all else has been the thing I've been really impressed with. Going harder at contests and tackles.

Consistency has always been his problem, 2 good games in a row is good to see, now he's got to keep it up. No better way to show us he's turned a corner than a 4-game patch of games vs Dogs, Port, Crows and Eagles (in Perth).

Also if he does start to falter again, yes it would be disappointing, but by the end of the season Parfitt and McCarthy will be fit, Gregson & Narkle will be pushing from the VFL, so even if he runs into some bad form he's not the worst depth player to come in if there's injuries to Cocky, McCarthy, Parfitt like this year.

Agree, his intent above all else has been the thing I've been really impressed with. Going harder at contests and tackles.

Consistency has always been his problem, 2 good games in a row is good to see, now he's got to keep it up. No better way to show us he's turned a corner than a 4-game patch of games vs Dogs, Port, Crows and Eagles (in Perth).

Also if he does start to falter again, yes it would be disappointing, but by the end of the season Parfitt and McCarthy will be fit, Gregson & Narkle will be pushing from the VFL, so even if he runs into some bad form he's not the worst depth player to come in if there's injuries to Cocky, McCarthy, Parfitt like this year.
Yes, all good points re: depth. Murdoch can be a weapon if we can utilise his kicking and speed more on the outside, especially when in goal range.

Going back with the flight to spoil against against WB, led to a crucial goal to the Tomahawk. Tommy could be seen shouting "Murda, your goal".

Repeating myself here, but I think he may have found his inner-mongrel, and, after a long, long, plateau, seems to have actually gone to another level.

Very early days for Murda 2.0 though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not seeing the same thing you blokes are. Sure he's been a lot harder at the contest but he still kicks without looking and still makes poor decisions.

He's not safe by any stretch, nor has his form been 'good' as it's being said.

That's the difference. I'll take the good with the bad as long as he cracks in.
It wasn't hard to improve on that part of his game that's for sure.

I reckon Lang may have turned the corner as well but that's for a thread of its own. He looks confident and composed and he's running both ways.

Yes, all good points re: depth. Murdoch can be a weapon if we can utilise his kicking and speed more on the outside, especially when in goal range.
I think he could be the equal of Gary Rohan at his best, if he believed in his speed and ability, and if it is encouraged. Rohan's career has been cruelled by injuries.
Even the great Wojo had belief issues early on, but he was encouraged to use his clear God given talent despite possible mishaps, and the rest is history- a 200 game triple premiership player.

I'm not seeing the same thing you blokes are. Sure he's been a lot harder at the contest but he still kicks without looking and still makes poor decisions.

You are a hard task master Nakia.
He gives our team balance.
We need a player with genuine leg speed who can kick long goals.
He does do some random kicks under pressure, is never going to be the perfect prototype, but we have to utilise his talents for the sake of our team.
Speaking to opposition supporters, hey seem to rate him more highly than his own supporters do.

Last edited:

Yep. He has been 'better', but good is stretching it a bit.
I am prepared to admit, that not being at the game, one can miss aspects of a persons game. Maybe he does work hard off the ball, or play a 'role' -maybe but I am yet to be convinced that he is anything more than a depth player at best.

Yep. He has been 'better', but good is stretching it a bit.
I am prepared to admit, that not being at the game, one can miss aspects of a persons game. Maybe he does work hard off the ball, or play a 'role' -maybe but I am yet to be convinced that he is anything more than a depth player at best.
Jfi, what were your thoughts about a similar player to an extent, who caused divided loyalties on this board. Varcoe. My Pies mates love him, and think he is exactly what they needed- clean, quick, classy, and tough. Yet with us, he was very maligned.

A sweet sidestep out of traffic springs to mind.
I hope he gets as much of a run at it as the MC have given to Jordie.
I reckon he can be a really good AFL player.

Jfi, what were your thoughts about a similar player to an extent, who caused divided loyalties on this board. Varcoe. My Pies mates love him, and think he is exactly what they needed- clean, quick, classy, and tough. Yet with us, he was very maligned.
Quantum difference between Varcoe and Murdoch. Varcoe had skills galore but often went missing.. probably deserved criticism, but never any doubts on his footballing nouse.

You are a hard task master Nakia.
He gives our team balance.
We need a player with genuine leg speed who can kick long goals.
He's averaging a goal every three games this year and he's yet to take a bounce this season. The good news is, we do have a player with genuine leg speed who can kick goals. His name is Patrick Dangerfield! He's quite good. Jordan Murdoch, meanwhile, is what he is - a physically powerful player who is not a very good/smart/instinctive footballer. He is not going to get dramatically better, and he's not ever going to be the player that the summation 'fast and a good long kick' suggests.

Quantum difference between Varcoe and Murdoch. Varcoe had skills galore but often went missing.. probably deserved criticism, but never any doubts on his footballing nouse.
These guys go missing when they are seconded to a HFF/FP role, imo. Murdoch is now playing in a position that is better for his attributes, and Varcoe at Geelong was often out of position, or recovering from injury. But I agree about the Varcoe skills. I still wish we had kept him and not bothered with Clark, but they had their reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back