Josh Frydenberg. Out of his depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Frydenburg was closer then most in his party. Not sufficiently for my liking but he was closer.

the teals are even better but do we honestly believe in our lifetime that we will move away from the labor vs liberal paradigm?

Fraudo was terrible in every way except, afaik fundraising & handing out cash to mates.
He had the revolving door of grants out, donations in down Pat but otherwise was possibly the worst treasurer in history.
There is nothing classically liberal about the way his government destroyed the arts, education, environment etc & he was lockstep with the worst PM Australia has ever had.

Frydenburg was closer then most in his party. Not sufficiently for my liking but he was closer.

the teals are even better but do we honestly believe in our lifetime that we will move away from the labor vs liberal paradigm?
Nope. Josh is closer to Angus Taylor. He took tbe elecorate for granted and spent his time campaigning for support within the party room for the purpose of his political ambitions.

It is slowly happening. We came within 1-2 seats of minority government this time and last amd the one before that. Gillard was a minority government. 4 of the last 5 governments have been decided by a seat or less and each time the primary vote of the majors has dropped.

It is inevitable.
It is happening. I just cant see any moderate even contemplating a run for pre selection.

Cos most of the people in his electorate dont want labor either. They want old school classical liberals.
You may need to explain the 2019 swing to the Greens.

But you are right. It won't go Labor. It will be the next inner city Melbourne to go Green after Macnamara.

Nope. Josh is closer to Angus Taylor. He took tbe elecorate for granted and spent his time campaigning for support within the party room for the purpose of his political ambitions.
I used to know angus. He aint a conservative either. He is liberal who got in a personal fight with turnball and had to switch to the conservative side of the party to maintain his position. Sold his views out.

I used to know angus. He aint a conservative either. He is liberal who got in a personal fight with turnball and had to switch to the conservative side of the party to maintain his position. Sold his views out.
How can you 'Used to know'. I know you implied I was unintelligent but once you know someone tnere is never a past tense. Did he block you on social media.

Anyway he is Frydo V2.0

Selling himself for his own political ambitions.

How can you 'Used to know'. I know you implied I was unintelligent but once you know someone tnere is never a past tense. Did he block you on social media.

Anyway he is Frydo V2.0

Selling himself for his own political ambitions.
Um because you used to speak to them and now you dont.

We aren’t the US, as much as LNP and Murdoch media want to take us there.

We have more in common with the UK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before 1945, the UAP was the dominant centre-right party opposing Labor (in coalition with more right-wing parties). Among other reasons, a loss of engagement outside of a vocal minority pushing non-mainstream agendas is cited as a cause for the demise. Sound familiar?

I think it's entirely plausible that one of the following will occur by the end of the 2020s:
- Teal independents form into a progressive centre-right party, and become a main governing coalition partner possibly with a residual Liberal/LNP party but maybe not the Nationals who move to the crossbench
- Liberal party shifts back towards the centre, and either wins back the Teal seats or forms coalition with them. National party possibly remains in coalition or possibly moves to crossbench (effectively still supports minority Liberal government as Greens would support minority Labor)
- Liberal ceases and a new centre-right party emerges... either competing with or absorbing the Teals. New party possibly is competitive enough to win government in its own right (possibly taking on progressive policies that appeal to regional centers to win seats off the Nationals

Unless the ALP completely screws up the next 3 years or the Teals lose their gloss after a term (performances of "pre-Teals" in Indi, Windsor and Waringah would suggest this won't happen), there's possibly no viable path back to government for the Libs in their current form. And my money says, just like the UAP in 1945, the current membership and branch structure does not favor any re-invention short of implosion and establishing a new centre-right party in some form.

Before 1945, the UAP was the dominant centre-right party opposing Labor (in coalition with more right-wing parties). Among other reasons, a loss of engagement outside of a vocal minority pushing non-mainstream agendas is cited as a cause for the demise. Sound familiar?

I think it's entirely plausible that one of the following will occur by the end of the 2020s:
- Teal independents form into a progressive centre-right party, and become a main governing coalition partner possibly with a residual Liberal/LNP party but maybe not the Nationals who move to the crossbench
- Liberal party shifts back towards the centre, and either wins back the Teal seats or forms coalition with them. National party possibly remains in coalition or possibly moves to crossbench (effectively still supports minority Liberal government as Greens would support minority Labor)
- Liberal ceases and a new centre-right party emerges... either competing with or absorbing the Teals. New party possibly is competitive enough to win government in its own right (possibly taking on progressive policies that appeal to regional centers to win seats off the Nationals

Unless the ALP completely screws up the next 3 years or the Teals lose their gloss after a term (performances of "pre-Teals" in Indi, Windsor and Waringah would suggest this won't happen), there's possibly no viable path back to government for the Libs in their current form. And my money says, just like the UAP in 1945, the current membership and branch structure does not favor any re-invention short of implosion and establishing a new centre-right party in some form.
The teals have to unite first. Not seeing any signs of that yet. But they should.

The teals have to unite first. Not seeing any signs of that yet. But they should.
they will caucus on matters of mutual interest such as climate change, integrity in gov't et al, that's all. there r huge differences in the politics of, say, stegall and ryan. daniel and spender etc, etc, etc

invictus maneo

They presumably have the same dream I do that a parliament of independents, debating issues on merit and forming a consensus view on best solutions would be the best possible form of democracy.

Reality would suggest that's never going to happen, and if they don't unite themselves into a party then someone else will find a way to fill that space as a dominant centre-right force. If it's not a reformed Liberal Party, someone like Frydenberg but with genuine leadership and willpower could do it.

Not that it'd happen... but imagine if Turnbull rocked up in 2026 to run the Allied Democratic Party and managed to get Julie Bishop out of retirement in WA, Xenophon as part of the team in SA and the likes of Frydenberg on board combined with some already sitting members from the Libs and Teals. That'd very quickly turn the now conservative Christian dominated Libs into just the sort of party that Corey Bernardi always wanted it to be, and they could take their 5% national vote with them to sit alongside the Greens on the crossbench.

They presumably have the same dream I do that a parliament of independents, debating issues on merit and forming a consensus view on best solutions would be the best possible form of democracy.

Reality would suggest that's never going to happen, and if they don't unite themselves into a party then someone else will find a way to fill that space as a dominant centre-right force. If it's not a reformed Liberal Party, someone like Frydenberg but with genuine leadership and willpower could do it.

Not that it'd happen... but imagine if Turnbull rocked up in 2026 to run the Allied Democratic Party and managed to get Julie Bishop out of retirement in WA, Xenophon as part of the team in SA and the likes of Frydenberg on board combined with some already sitting members from the Libs and Teals. That'd very quickly turn the now conservative Christian dominated Libs into just the sort of party that Corey Bernardi always wanted it to be, and they could take their 5% national vote with them to sit alongside the Greens on the crossbench.
It is slowly happening. We came within 1-2 seats of minority government this time and last amd the one before that. Gillard was a minority government. 4 of the last 5 governments have been decided by a seat or less and each time the primary vote of the majors has dropped.

It is inevitable.
Status quo.stiff

Shares? Nah. Crypto? Nup. Best form of investment is the LNP. Just like thatn random brewery in Tassie who was also going to get the Guide Dogs treatment before the election.

Might go to NSW or Tassie to make a few donations to their state colleagues whilst they're still in power and able to siphon off some free money.

With respect, that does not fit my definition of a charity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back