Remove this Banner Ad

what other majorly nasty individuals do we know were about at the time? making myself a shortlist with pros and cons for each person. Birnies? Masters? Did JC have a jealous ex boyfriend, or possibly a spurned workmate?
Controversial question, But does anyone think JC and SM are linked?
Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I have tried to read most of this thread, but have not gotten through all of it.

Donald Morey was convicted of the attempted murder of a sex worker in 2003. He was definitely a nasty piece of work, and is a suspect in the disappearance/murders of Sarah McMahon and Darylyn Ugle. Morey is about 65, which would have made him about 33 at the time of Julie’s disappearance.

There is lots out there about how he links to Sarah McMahon.

I think too much focus in Julie’s case is on the car that tried to run her off the road. There are weirdos, whackos and jerks all over the place (as we saw in the CSK case). It could be (and probably is, in my view) a red herring. Nonetheless I’d be interested to know if Donald Morey ever had access to a car like that.

If Dorothy’s brutal attack can be linked to what happened to Julie, that may put Morey in the frame a bit. He had a history of impotence and Dorothy recalled that her attacker didn’t have an erection. He did not have a sexual motive for the attempted murder of the sex worker.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned. I have tried to read most of this thread, but have not gotten through all of it.

I've tried to clean this thread up a bit but it could do with more, the first six or seven pages are almost a complete write off.

I think too much focus in Julie’s case is on the car that tried to run her off the road. There are weirdos, whackos and jerks all over the place (as we saw in the CSK case). It could be (and probably is, in my view) a red herring. Nonetheless I’d be interested to know if Donald Morey ever had access to a car like that.

I agree. There wouldn't be many young women driving around at night who didn't have an encounter with some idiot in a car trying to give us a fright or get our attention. They often don't mean much at all. I've had a few myself, one followed me home to get my address and knocked on the door. He was harmless, he genuinely thought I'd be flattered and just couldn't believe he'd get a knockback given his job and reasonable looks.

I've tried to clean this thread up a bit but it could do with more, the first six or seven pages are almost a complete write off.
That explains why the thread got shorter in pages while I was reading it! As for the first few yes, erm, all I could say was WTF? I felt for you, actually, with what you were dealing with at the time in the thread. That must have been a bit unsettling.

I agree. There wouldn't be many young women driving around at night who didn't have an encounter with some idiot in a car trying to give us a fright or get our attention. They often don't mean much at all. I've had a few myself, one followed me home to get my address and knocked on the door. He was harmless, he genuinely thought I'd be flattered and just couldn't believe he'd get a knockback given his job and reasonable looks.
100%. We’ve all had creeps get our attention in messed up ways. I too have had some whack job follow me home, from work one night. He was very old and wanted to come in and have a cup of tea and a chat and discuss a “mutually beneficial situation”. No dude, just no.

It would be really helpful if guys who do not intend to murder people just didn’t behave like creeps. It would make it much easier to identify the really dangerous ones.

Donald Morey was convicted of the attempted murder of a sex worker in 2003. He was definitely a nasty piece of work, and is a suspect in the disappearance/murders of Sarah McMahon and Darylyn Ugle. Morey is about 65, which would have made him about 33 at the time of Julie’s disappearance.

There is lots out there about how he links to Sarah McMahon.

If Dorothy’s brutal attack can be linked to what happened to Julie, that may put Morey in the frame a bit. He had a history of impotence and Dorothy recalled that her attacker didn’t have an erection. He did not have a sexual motive for the attempted murder of the sex worker.
You could be right that the car 'trying' to run her off the road is a red herring. I had a similar experiece the other week. When I came out of Brubies a guy was standing outside ( I soon realised he was actually waiting to talk to me!!) He said "Hey I saw you in the IGA, You live down the road from the blue mustang dont you? I've seen your car its really nice. Mines the red mustang here, but mines much better than his. Dont ya think??" He was very nice, I didn't feel threatened, he was just a car enthusiast. BUT it did scare me to know he knew so much about me and must have followed me from the IGA to the Brumbies!!
Just goes to show how easy it is for some one to stalk you and you not know.

I'm more interested in the fact that Julie's house was broken into recently!!

You could be right that the car 'trying' to run her off the road is a red herring. I had a similar experiece the other week. When I came out of Brubies a guy was standing outside ( I soon realised he was actually waiting to talk to me!!) He said "Hey I saw you in the IGA, You live down the road from the blue mustang dont you? I've seen your car its really nice. Mines the red mustang here, but mines much better than his. Dont ya think??" He was very nice, I didn't feel threatened, he was just a car enthusiast. BUT it did scare me to know he knew so much about me and must have followed me from the IGA to the Brumbies!!
Just goes to show how easy it is for some one to stalk you and you not know.

I'm more interested in the fact that Julie's house was broken into recently!!
I put the car incident as a completely different and seperate incident too. The break in, Not so much. Maybe someone was wanting to try on some new women’s clothes? If you catch my drift. (BRE? Would fit the cross dressing wearing from around the same era)
All very interesting.

Controversial question, But does anyone think JC and SM are linked?

I'm assuming SM is Sarah McMahon? Possibly but unlikely. I think most people accept Donald Morey is about as guilty of SM's murder as BRE is of SS's and JC doesn't seem like Morey's style. Morey seems to prefer going to his victims openly and either establishing some form of personal relationship (SM) or when he's attacked sex workers he initially presented as a normal guy.

JC sounds more like she had someone stalking her

I'm assuming SM is Sarah McMahon? Possibly but unlikely. I think most people accept Donald Morey is about as guilty of SM's murder as BRE is of SS's and JC doesn't seem like Morey's style. Morey seems to prefer going to his victims openly and either establishing some form of personal relationship (SM) or when he's attacked sex workers he initially presented as a normal guy.

Fair call

Great analysis. I agree with your insight on Morey, and I’d add that drugs featured in the interaction with SM (she had been struggling with drug use and Morey claimed that he’d given her $10K of drugs to sell). That doesn’t fit with JC at all.

So I don’t make the mistake of covering old ground, has Andrew Garforth been mentioned for Julie?

He was yet another nasty piece of work who has been suggested for several unsolved murders, having lived in WA prior to 1992.

So I don’t make the mistake of covering old ground, has Andrew Garforth been mentioned for Julie?

He was yet another nasty piece of work who has been suggested for several unsolved murders, having lived in WA prior to 1992.
I dont recall his name ever being brought up.

Is this Julie Cutlers killer? Andrew Garforth? The madman in the yellow Corolla?

Andrew Garforths Yellow MAZDA 808. Garforth lived in Orelia next to Parmelia

5f9768b2562f318888dce11cc5ae12f1

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/kerryn-tate-1979-murder-western-australia.1181781/page-4
sorry yes it has - see here - but I dont know how much it was discussed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we think Kerry Turner is connected to Julie Cutler? I’m more inclined to believe maybe yes. As above SM had issues and knew DM well enough to say that’s where that lies.

Broadcast: Sun 25 Jun 2000

They (investigators) have also told Background Briefing that they believe that another disappearance, that of 22-year-old Julie Cutler almost a decade earlier, in 1988, is connected.

Article on 17 February 1988, where the kimono was held up by police and the Huntingdale attacks linked to the murder of Victoria Clarke in Victoria Park.

There was an apparent gap immediately after this in Edwards prowler offending mentioned at trial, between February 15 to October 8.
JC vanished in the June.

Kimono clue to a brutal killing
by Cyril Ayris

There was some action on this case before and through the trial with a cold case review. This was through the time Carmel stated investigations into BREs activities were ongoing.

It would be great if the police could say they'd ruled BRE (or Morey) safely out, that he couldn't have done it because until then, I think he could have.

Article on 17 February 1988, where the kimono was held up by police and the Huntingdale attacks linked to the murder of Victoria Clarke in Victoria Park.

There was an apparent gap immediately after this in Edwards prowler offending mentioned at trial, between February 15 to October 8.
JC vanished in the June.

Kimono clue to a brutal killing
by Cyril Ayris

When Edwards was first arrested and the Huntingdale attack became known about, I looked up the date of it compared to Julie Cutler. I couldn’t quite figure out how it would all fit. It’s very interesting that there was a gap in Huntingdale offending there. It was a specific issue that bugged me a bit.

I take the same view as you in your other post - however likely or unlikely Edwards and Morey are for some of these, I would need to see them conclusively ruled out.

There wasn’t any work Edwards was doing at the Parmelia Hilton that we know about, was there?

As discussed on another thread, I’m not convinced that BRE murdered JC. The break in, The running her off the road incident, Her car upside down at Cottesloe beach. They could be all connected or not or 2 maybe connected. Personally I think they’re all connected. Im only speculating but I’d say the break in was the first attempt on her life, Thankfully she wasn’t home. 2nd time could’ve been the car incident. Failed to run her off the road. As for her car being upside down, That could’ve been a way to hide evidence. What’s happened to JC is unfortunately foul play by my speculation. I’ve got nothing concrete to suggest why or even who. I just don’t think it was BRE. I think if he has murdered before 1996, Then KT is a more likely victim. Only my opinion.

When Edwards was first arrested and the Huntingdale attack became known about, I looked up the date of it compared to Julie Cutler. I couldn’t quite figure out how it would all fit. It’s very interesting that there was a gap in Huntingdale offending there. It was a specific issue that bugged me a bit.

I take the same view as you in your other post - however likely or unlikely Edwards and Morey are for some of these, I would need to see them conclusively ruled out.

There wasn’t any work Edwards was doing at the Parmelia Hilton that we know about, was there?

Given he was clearly out of control prowling in his own suburb, breaking into womens houses, attacking them in their beds and slapping them around in their hallways after springing from behind a toilet door wearing undies on his head and even returning time and again to the scene of the crime, even though he would have got a major fright being linked to a murder in the press those impulses don't simply vanish and for eight months. Maybe he was medicated?

If he didn't get help and meds to dull his impulses, I think it's quite plausible that after a few weeks and the trip to Bali he went on with his parents, he was back to old tricks in another area.

I'd hope the police are looking at whether he might have worked on the phones at the Parmelia or the Sheraton near where Dorothy was attacked.

There were two phone calls made to police with reports of a woman screaming that appeared to be coming from the carpark at the back of a property on Marine Parade, Cottesloe the night Julie went missing.

One woman identified herself, the other made the call anonymously. Police were looking to identify the other caller.

I'm not sure this Post article has gone up in here yet.

PostJC.png

How far from the road were her diary and other items found - and were they together or spread out (as if thrown out a car window as it headed south)

I can't find an exact location of where they were found or how far in from the road, where the last dig was it looked close enough that a good toss might have done it by someone with a strong arm. They were found in the sand dunes about 1km south of where Julie's car ended up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back