Just how bad will West Coast be in 2009?

Remove this Banner Ad

perry87

Senior List
Suspended
Oct 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Im thinking they will be the Demons of 2008.

There is just nothing to suggest they will improve in any way shape or form. The midfield is perhaps the worst in the AFL. It's a pity that the best Ruckman in the game has nothing to work with after he's tapped the ball. It is slow, lacks penertration and is often used as a doormat.

West Coast havent had a forward line for the last 8 years, so I doubt that will improve. Whilst their backline is ok, the amount of ball that will go in their this coming season will see it break time and time again.

There is just nothing to be excited about if you are a West Coast fan. It truly is a side lacking any real talent.

Interesting read...until I realised it was a Freo supporter. Which team was he talking about again?

FWIW, West Coast will finish in the 6-10 range (imho)

There is just nothing to suggest they will improve in any way shape or form. The midfield is perhaps the worst in the AFL. It's a pity that the best Ruckman in the game has nothing to work with after he's tapped the ball. It is slow, lacks penertration and is often used as a doormat.

sounds a lot like sandilands at freo to me. its been the case for a very long time.

they will more than likely be better than freo.

you guys will have 14 new players next year and a completely unexperienced backline.

• Banned
they will more than likely be better than freo.

you guys will have 14 new players next year and a completely unexperienced backline.

Nice one dumbshit. Cant blame that on a typo, that's just plain stupidity. :thumbsu:

Going on from your theme of our unexperienced backline I'd like to point out that Macpharlin, Grover, Hayden and Michael Johnson will still be playing in defensive positions. Between those 4 players that's 447 games of experience.

But go on, your insights are fascinating and comical.

West Coast havent had a forward line for the last 8 years, so I doubt that will improve. Whilst their backline is ok, the amount of ball that will go in their this coming season will see it break time and time again.

There is just nothing to be excited about if you are a West Coast fan. It truly is a side lacking any real talent.

Freo's best midfielder (and probably one of their best 3 players) is a first year player... after Palmer in the middle you guys have... Schammertime, Crowley... :eek:

Kerr, Embley, Stengalein, Priddis, Butler along with more games into Ebert and Masten will provide more than reasonable midfield.

Kennedy, McKinley and LeCras are the makings of a potent forward line.

Just in case you missed the post in the other thread, here's a pic of Freo's premiership window... looks like its been as shown for awhile.. I'd say 14 years and counting. :thumbsu:

67908925.3bnwD333.jpg

Its hard to imagine the Eagles doing any worse than 2008.

Our backline (our strongest asset), will be strengthened with the inclusion of Brett Jones and Adam Hunter. Fingers crossed Glass can play injury free.

Our midfield should be more effective next year. Kerr only played a handful of games last season, but add Hurn, Staker, Masten (all of whom were injured aswell), with Embely, Selwood, Ebert, Lecras, Priddis (maybe a sprinkle of Quentin Lynch) and it should be functioning better.

Our forward line excites me most. Mainly because it is unproven, yet I feel that it can emerge to be dangerous.

Hansen, Kennedy, Lecras and Mitch Brown were all injured for most of the season. Lynch spent most of his time monstering opposition players in the centre. McKinley showed that he is a quality player by being our leading goal-kicker for the season. Wirrapunda is close to retirement so I can see him playing a back-pocket role (to enable Lecras to spend some time in the centre). Nicoski is re-gaining some of that pre-injury confidence so I can imagine him and Rosa (also injured) feeding the ball to our forwards through the wing. Exciting times ahead.

As for Cox. He became All-Australian yet again, playing the entire season with a broken foot. Imagine him playing without a broken foot.

In conclusion, you would have to be highly pessimistic to think that West Coast cant win more than 4 games next season. Or you can communicate with the injury-Gods and have been notified of another horrific injury run.

Its hard to imagine the Eagles doing any worse than 2008.

Our backline (our strongest asset), will be strengthened with the inclusion of Brett Jones and Adam Hunter. Fingers crossed Glass can play injury free.

Our midfield should be more effective next year. Kerr only played a handful of games last season, but add Hurn, Staker, Masten (all of whom were injured aswell), with Embely, Selwood, Ebert, Lecras, Priddis (maybe a sprinkle of Quentin Lynch) and it should be functioning better.

Our forward line excites me most. Mainly because it is unproven, yet I feel that it can emerge to be dangerous.

Hansen, Kennedy, Lecras and Mitch Brown were all injured for most of the season. Lynch spent most of his time monstering opposition players in the centre. McKinley showed that he is a quality player by being our leading goal-kicker for the season. Wirrapunda is close to retirement so I can see him playing a back-pocket role (to enable Lecras to spend some time in the centre). Nicoski is re-gaining some of that pre-injury confidence so I can imagine him and Rosa (also injured) feeding the ball to our forwards through the wing. Exciting times ahead.

As for Cox. He became All-Australian yet again, playing the entire season with a broken foot. Imagine him playing without a broken foot.

In conclusion, you would have to be highly pessimistic to think that West Coast cant win more than 4 games next season. Or you can communicate with the injury-Gods and have been notified of another horrific injury run.

Oh, dear lord. You sound like the Parrot of West Coast. There is a massive issue with the West Coast midfield, massive.

It is slow and lacks any real class. Daniel Kerr could be the only midfielder considered to be elite or close to, but having witnessed him being negated time and time again by the opposition number one tagger it would be reasonable to assume he will not ever reach the heights he once did in the company of Judd and Cousins. This year he became frustrated by the close attention week in week out and struggles.

How can you add Hurn? He's played maybe 5 games in the middle tops. He's more of a back-flanker/back pocket player. His speed or lack of is a real issue. He isnt a ball magnet so this is a problem in the middle. He will not help.

Staker. Lol. Had two good games last year. Thought Woosh made his only honest call about him last year, "he's played maybe 2 good games out of a 100."

Masten has OP. He has the body of a boy and will need at least another pre-season or two to be physically ready for the AFL.

Embley played as a halfback flanker last year. Why? He was ineffective in the middle. Couldnt have an impact playing as a midfielder and so was cast back to the half-back line.

Selwood is a good honest tagger. He plays his position well week in week out. I cannot fault him for the position he plays.

Priddis is slow, has poor disposal but he tries his guts out. With Stenglien so obviously on the decline he could become the 2nd tagger. But he really isnt the answer.

Ebert is a good prospect. But he isnt quick, and he isnt the most polished player.

You dont have a forward line. You may think you have the players, but what good are the players if they dont have a system to follow. There has never been any structure to the West Coast forward line and I doubt we will see one with Worsfold as the top dog.

But the real issue is the midfield, it is obvioulsy too slow for AFL and as I have mentioned it lacks polish. Thats where the problem is and thats why the backline will collapse, it will have too much ball coming in to cope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect you're something of an expert on slow midfields that lack polish as that's been a constant trait of Fremantle teams over the past 14 years.

You study law and this is the best you can come up with?

Why is it that whenever a flaw of West Coast is revealed to the board you seek to turn the attention back to Freo?

If you wish to talk about Freo, start a thread on it. But for now, stick to the topic at hand do you wish to argue that West Coast's midfield is not slow and does not lack any class?

You study law and this is the best you can come up with?

Why is it that whenever a flaw of West Coast is revealed to the board you seek to turn the attention back to Freo?

If you wish to talk about Freo, start a thread on it. But for now, stick to the topic at hand do you wish to argue that West Coast's midfield is not slow and does not lack any class?

I don't study law any more.

And I didn't really feel like addressing the topic at hand. I've already done so in the last half-dozen or so identical threads started by you in your various aliases, and you have a habit of ignoring any posts that refute your points.

i would say masten, kerr, hurn, rosa and embley are reasonably quick.

quickness if overated anyway, the ability to burst from packs + move the ball quickly are the main assets needed in a midfield.

so pav, can you tell me why fremantle's midfield is better than west coast's? you ignored it from before...

i would say masten, kerr, hurn, rosa and embley are reasonably quick.

quickness if overated anyway, the ability to burst from packs + move the ball quickly are the main assets needed in a midfield.

Right. :confused:

I would say only Kerr has the ability to burst from a pack, and he is only the really slippery player in the West Coast midfield.

Hurn is not reasonably quick, your own supporters are labelling Rosa Rowan Jones mkII, Embley was moved from the middle to a half-back flank because he was not quick enough couldnt find the pill in congestion.

Masten has OP and is more of an extractor, I dont think we'll see the best of Masten for another 2 years at least, he is just too small.

Exactly, its the movement of the ball that counts and why Hawthorn and Geelong have won the past 2 premierships respectively. Its probably a foreign concept to Pav here.:eek:

You're still not making any sense.

I have stated that West Coast's midfield is too slow and lacks any real polish. If anything, you are backing my argument up.

Top shelf :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back