Kangaroos Steal Greenwood from Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we a genuine rival in GCs eyes now?

Yeah I care not about the gentleman’s agreement, again why wouldn’t they have done it with a fringe player?
Greenwood might have offered who knows will be interesting to hear more that’s for sure

This is actually the part that really shows just how stupid they are. Once they delisted him, didn't they realize there were two clubs who had rookie picks before them - North and Collingwood -, so they could just take him as a rookie anyway?

Hell, clubs with pick 91 could take him if they wanted to. He had to get through the entire draft AND two rookie picks, in order to get to them.

A similar situation, would be us delisting say Menegola (similar age, body type and in the Top 15 players but not the 'elite' bracket), and then saying we'd re-rookie him. What club would pass him over for a free hit? I'd burn our club to the ground if they tried that.

How did they not think this was going to blow up in their face? I'm genuinely so baffled over how this club continues to f*ck up so spectacularly, yet continues to exist.

It helps when the AFL gifts you so many draft picks and access to players outside the draft (NT and Suns academy). They have so much talent they only need to use 1 pick this draft and traded in multiple future picks.

Suns do not value picks or players like other clubs. Brought up on welfare handouts so why should they?

Greenwood might have offered who knows will be interesting to hear more that’s for sure
Something must’ve happened it’s so out of the blue

North broke no rules but there is a gentleman’s agreement to not take players clubs have re committed to picking up

So this will ruffle feathers

If you are going to delist and redraft someone make sure it someone no one else wants / someone you don't really care about losing or cop what is coming to you.

We did it to North a few years back, can't even remember the guys name, but he was a full back and had a brother in the system.

Edit: Maybe it was Delaney???

Ben King
Jack Lukosius
Izak Rankine
Ben Ainsworth

All out of contract next year. How many stay?

The Suns on Instagram have posted a thank you and suggested that he was made a significant off by North which he's accepted. I'd suggest they put it to the Suns and they didn't want to match it.

Still ridiculous to lose someone like that for nothing.

Maybe Suns are happy for him to go, get his money off the books which they can use to hopefully get King and a few of his mates to sign up.
If that is the case, why not trade for him then?
Absolute arse*ery from Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast aren't so good at List Management IMO. Losing Lyons for nothing, now Greenwood too?

Worst bit of List Management tho was holding Gary Ablett to his contract when he wanted to go home to be with his sick sister, that wasn't funny like this is though, that was just absolutely tragic.

Something something Tasmania.

The only way GC come out of this with any semblance of respect is if we find out Greenwood knew of their draft situation and kindly offered to be delisted… then it’s a dog act by Greenwood as there should be some semblance of trust with senior players. Otherwise …. heads should roll over what has just happened.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ben King
Jack Lukosius
Izak Rankine
Ben Ainsworth

All out of contract next year. How many stay?

I think Ainsworth and Lukosius will get offered money from the Suns that will be too good to refuse. It'll continue to stuff their list management and salary cap space.

King will have a fortune thrown at him from the Saints, Hawks, Bombers, Roos and Magpies. No way the Suns can match it.

Rankine would want to have a big year if he wants to cash in at the Suns. Otherwise I think both SA clubs will pay him on potential and he can go home for great money vs staying at the Suns for less.

They are rooted.

Time to pack it up.

The only way GC come out of this with any semblance of respect is if we find out Greenwood knew of their draft situation and kindly offered to be delisted… then it’s a dog act by Greenwood as there should be some semblance of trust with senior players. Otherwise …. heads should roll over what has just happened.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He has an existing relationship with David Noble. Seems more like a spur of the moment decision where North jumped at an opportunity than some kind of 4D chess game

North broke no rules but there is a gentleman’s agreement to not take players clubs have re committed to picking up

So this will ruffle feathers
Might just be me, but I see a significant difference between making an offer to a delisted player and leaving the decision in their hands vs. swooping on a player in the draft where they can't say no.

I think the only agreement broken is the one between Hugh and the GCS

not tony's fault - afterall if this was collingwood back in the day it wouldnt be Eddie's fault. this is on mark evans and the footy department
Then tony Cochran should fire the person responsible for letting this happen . He has got to take some responsibility though from all reports he was the one who stopped a trade for jack Martin getting done

I think Ainsworth and Lukosius will get offered money from the Suns that will be too good to refuse. It'll continue to stuff their list management and salary cap space.

King will have a fortune thrown at him from the Saints, Hawks, Bombers, Roos and Magpies. No way the Suns can match it.

Rankine would want to have a big year if he wants to cash in at the Suns. Otherwise I think both SA clubs will pay him on potential and he can go home for great money vs staying at the Suns for less.

They are rooted.

Time to pack it up.

Agree, however i think Adelaide will offer Lukosius an unbelievable deal.

Pretty gangster move from North. I'm impressed.

Assuming Cunnington gets back early they are going to be a pretty solid outfit next year.

Cunners, Greenwood, Simpkin, Powell, Stephenson, Thomas, Francis-Horne, LDU is a solid midfield group. Might almost be worth trading into the first round again. Add like a NWM/Sinn plus Van Rooyen at their second rounder and their build is practically complete barring time.

Yeah I care not about the gentleman’s agreement, again why wouldn’t they have done it with a fringe player?
You may not care about it now, but you'd have to suggest that if North ever need to manage their list in a similar way that another club wouldn't have a second thought to do the same thing.
Greenwood doesn't come out of this looking too great in my opinion, bit of a dick move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back