Katie Brennan appeal - Wins battle with AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Get her with bringing the game into disrepute aswell when she loses.

The AFL have been working very hard to bring women’s footy to the public, it gets air time, tickets are free or really cheap to public, it’s promoted. It only takes a few to undo all that work so far. Throwing this in the face of the afl because you don’t like a suspension because “men” is ridiculous.
If you payed attention to mens game properly then
1. Men do get suspended for them (equality)
2. Every week mens teams are whinging about suspensions (equality)

Human rights commission has real issues to deal with. Not getting to play a couple matches does not violate your human rights

They are all focusing on the fact that one male player from the dogs escaped with a fine but overlook a heap of others who copped a suspension.

bdb8aace7fd8e7f640be7e195c276628
597c789bd3150_dangertackle_630_597c785ab24ae.jpg

2c4d72336f7a2061b1b4faf012f87ae4

They all got suspended.
Grundy didnt get suspended i dont think

Still, that's 20% of their salary for the season, which for the men would be like $100,000 if they want to scale it equally.

Financial penalties are acceptable in a full-time, professional, billion dollar men's code, but they're vicious in a part-time, start-up, low-revenue women's code.

Methinks it should be fixed relative to salary. 5k for a rookie vs 5k for a top 5 earner are vastly different in the mens competition, the dollar value for the fine might be the same but it's not got the same weight.

While I personally think she's being a tool in the whole appeal charade, do the crime serve the time...

I think that the underlying basis of the women wanting to play AFL, not an abridged version is an underlying and valid point. The 16 vs 18 player thing etc etc is bulldust. Maybe a stricter enforcement of gut punches (coz ovaries and wombs) comparable to hitting a bloke in the nuts on field is about it for a difference in offences, just have fines and suspensions pro-rata or something as the only noticeable difference along with season length.

As for the season length, ultimately it should be a proper season. The whole taking your development back to the local leagues and sharing it thing makes sense at this stage, but that can only last a few years, I hope AFL house don't see it as permanent.

Wow are they really making this a gender issue. Cos it's not like the men have ever copped terrible MRP or Tribunal decisions.

Embarrassing defense, I feel for Brennan and think she should be playing, but I hope this gets laughed out of court on principle.

I agree with the principle that the rule (suspension for women, fine for men) is not really fair. I don’t have a problem with the club testing the rules. If the rule is fair it’ll stand to scrutiny.

That said it’s been escalated to a court case now. The only justification I can imagine for this is if the question was asked if the rule will be changed for next year and the answer was no. I find it hard to believe in light of the controversy that such a response would have been given—at most I imagine the response would be “we will take a serious review of the rule”. After all the league is still new and some rules haven’t been seriously tested. I’m left with the sick feeling that Peter Gordon et al have jumped the gun here

I thought Grundy was.

Either way you can add Koby Stevens, Jarrad Waite and Cam McCarthy.

Grundy got 2 weeks.

Collingwood's football department has accepted the two game suspension given to Brodie Grundy by the Match Review Panel.

Grundy will miss the Magpies' upcoming trip to face Port Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval, as well as a round 22 clash with Geelong as a result of the suspension.

It is the first time in Grundy's 81-game career he will miss a game due to suspension.

The decision comes after the ruckman's highly-discussed tackle on Ben Brown during the second quarter of Collingwood's clash with North Melbourne on Saturday night.
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-08-08/grundy-suspension-stands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the * could the AFL be branded sexist?

Gil and his men set up the AFLW
A competition in which a group of women get paid despite many having never played the sport before.
They get paid despite the fact that all games are free
They get paid despite the fact its actually losing money for the AFL

separate from the AFL and pay for your own broadcasting rights and salaries and grounds and see how long it ******* lasts.

Seriously I'm all for AFLW but they have gotten way more than they have deserved to this point and to cry sexism is beyond a joke.

So many blokes have got off what should have been suspensions over the years when their teams made the granny.
I dont bye the sexist thing just recon a monetary fine would have been enough.

While I believe Katie should've been suspended, I now think she is being manipulated by the club.

Cannot see her taking this step on her own......I think she will have been strongly advised by the lawyers.

Not a good look for the Bulldogs either imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back