Katie Brennan appeal - Wins battle with AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if the Human Rights Commission are the right body to fix it though. Maybe the players association.

If they can override the relevant minister's decision to order the expulsion of foreign-born rapists, murderers and other assorted scumbags, they can get this over the line.

How the **** could the AFL be branded sexist?

Gil and his men set up the AFLW
A competition in which a group of women get paid despite many having never played the sport before.
They get paid despite the fact that all games are free
They get paid despite the fact its actually losing money for the AFL

separate from the AFL and pay for your own broadcasting rights and salaries and grounds and see how long it ******* lasts.

Seriously I'm all for AFLW but they have gotten way more than they have deserved to this point and to cry sexism is beyond a joke.

Amen. They should be saying thank you kind sirs every night before they go to sleep. It is quite stunning given all that you have mentioned that gratitude seems to be one emotion entirely absent from most of the women involved in the AFLW. I have not heard any woman state how grateful all female footballers are for the leg up given to their competition by men. Nor have they mentioned the fact that it is money earned by men that is supporting their non profit competition-money earned by the sweat. blood and intellect of men over 130 years of playing and running the game.

Like you, I am all for the girls playing but they are testing my patience with their neverending use of the gender card.

Well after reading this thread im definately in the minority didnt think there was much in the incident . Mind you i dont know if the melbourne player was injured from the tackle . And seems very harsh to miss a granny for that . This sling tackle is a very contentious tackle to adjudicate saw a couple of very similar incidents 1 with Zac Fisher having his head slammed into the MCG turf last night from a so called sling type tackle . Now lets see if there is any repurcussions forthcoming ? ..

Some of you clearly aren't reading the article.

She has accepted that she isn't playing in the grand final. This is a move to ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else in the future, which is shouldn't.
Argue for changing the rule without using gender equity as the basis for your complaint. She never complained about the rule at the start of the season when it was in place. I would argue that paying female athletes when they are not drawing income into the competition as the men do is a far better example of gender inequality.

All getting a bit silly. Just cop the suspension and move on.
Standard set.
All tackles, arms pinned or unpinned, tackled player injured or ok,, offending player gets a reprimand at the very least.

Last edited:
Brilliant. I hope the outcome is we don't get another Barry Hall 2005, or Cotchin last year. Clearly seen the AFL hypocrisy and media outcry of a player "shouldn't miss the biggest game of his life over that" shite that's happened in the past.

Some points may have been mentioned already, but here is my two cents:

- Why are the Western Bulldogs going to the Human Rights Commission? Surely the first point of call is to work with the AFLPA and AFL to get the rules changed?

- There are a number of people calling for the rules to be changed to allow KB to play, sighting the men's rules are 2 fines before the suspension (I realise that this hasn't been the position of the club). If this were to happen, it would be manifestly unfair on the Brisbane Lions women who have adhered to the rules of the competition all year.

My thoughts are that she had a crack at getting it overturned via MRP, copped an extra week and then took it to the AFL to try and get it overturned. All well within the rules, and in GF week, absolutely worth having a crack. The next steps though should have been to accept the position, and then work with the AFL, in the off season, to change the rules, to ensure that this case doesn't happen again.

The Human Rights Commission should have absolutely nothing to do with this, and certainly not at this point in time.

Some points may have been mentioned already, but here is my two cents:

- There are a number of people calling for the rules to be changed to allow KB to play, sighting the men's rules are 2 fines before the suspension (I realise that this hasn't been the position of the club).

For the most part Australian Rules men’s comps have the same rule as the AFLW so it is very difficult to see what the issue is.

Perhaps you could have read the post directly above yours, linking to the article?

Sorry, thought you meant the club media release that Wookie posted afterward. And no, I missed that post.

Sentinel said:
You may think the club has acted like 'flogs' by challenging the ruling, but that doesn't really explain why "if they win (the grand final) they will look like even bigger flogs than they currently do", which was my question to you.

Because they will have made a whole lot of fuss over a player who didn't actually matter to the team winning.

(I don't have an issue with them challenging the ruling. Lets be clear about that. The way they have gone about it has... well, made them look like big flogs.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly!

We could only get through one season before this crap comes up.

Sexual discrimmination, human rights........fair dinkum.

What time is tha aflw grand final? Nah, I want to want watch footy to escape that sort of rubbish. I'll find something fun to do.

Well done KB and Western Bulldogs. If you lose you look like flogs, if you win you look like flogs.

How the **** could the AFL be branded sexist?

Gil and his men set up the AFLW
A competition in which a group of women get paid despite many having never played the sport before.
They get paid despite the fact that all games are free
They get paid despite the fact its actually losing money for the AFL

separate from the AFL and pay for your own broadcasting rights and salaries and grounds and see how long it ******* lasts.

Seriously I'm all for AFLW but they have gotten way more than they have deserved to this point and to cry sexism is beyond a joke.
What’s even more laughable is that Brennan has been used as a mouthpiece by the Western Bulldogs by coming out and saying ‘if I was a man this wouldn’t have happened’.

This has nothing to do with what swings between your legs or doesn’t Katie! It’s got to do with the fact you’ve been sanctioned ALREADY this year and you’ve done it AGAIN!

Peter Gordon and his cronies (surely Alberti has had a view on this) have completely overlooked the rules at the inception of the AFLW competition that players don’t be financially sanctioned, and now cried poor when the unthinkable has happened!

All this will do is lead to them being labelled a laughing stock by any reasonable person for playing this card and polarise the public even more.

The Bulldogs are such heroes, fighting for equality. Wonderful ethics and just so brave;

However:
1. When she got a reprimand earlier in the season they didn't cry about how they should pay a fine rather than a slap on the wrist or go to the human rights commission for justice for all women
2. When she got suspended from the grand final, they didn't seek justice for all women and go to the human rights commission, they decided to fight the suspension, didn't even mention that paying a fine should be the outcome for fairness
2. When the suspension was confirmed at the tribunal, they didn't seek justice for all women and go to the human rights commission, they again tried to have the suspension quashed on some other basis, again the fine wasn't brought up.
3. Then when this was upheld again on appeal they cry 'poor us' and its an injustice for all women. We wont play her but will do everything for all the women out there as we are the moral police.

Outstanding citizens
Nail.Coffin.Funeral.Cremation.

End thread and give this chap a Brownlow (presented by Alberti)

Problem is that a 2 game ban in an 8 game season is equivalent to the guys getting 5 weeks - over the top to what was a pretty nothing incident

Why is it a problem, the girls signed up to the rules & now a couple of well heeled legal types are on an ego trip, more political than footy related. Our game is being used.

Oh, poor Harriet.
Have you thought about Harriet Cordner?

Her teammates didn't like it, they thought there was quite a bit of malice in it.

Hopefully she can relax and be OK over the next couple of days. But her teammates thought it was quite a bit unfair.

I think that's the first time Harriet has been in that position.
Oh, poor Harriet. Hopefully she can get over her massive injury and after 10 months of recovery can come back next season.

The suspension seems fair but not the fine.

I’m assuming all the legal team are getting pro-rata rates.

How much money will go to lawyers rather than supporting women in football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back