Analysis Key Position Defenders (going forward)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Adelaide seem to unearth/develop KPD’s in abundance, although they never look as good once they leave. We should swap someone with them.

They basically poop them out. We even traded Brad friggin Moran to them and their pick that came back turned into Scott Thompson.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yeah, they are like us with rucks.

Maybe we could do a "loan" deal - they draft a young ruck they like the look of and trade him to us, we draft a KPD and trade him to them - straight swapsies.

Three years later, we just do the trade in reverse.

HEY PRESTO! Everyone is happy except the AFL ban the move because its us and Adelaide.

Three years later when Sydney and Essendon do it and call it "The Sheedy Manouvre", the Herald Sun issues a commemorative 24 page liftout to mark the occasion.

Are you suggesting Leigh Brown could go to Collingwood and do the same thing Mark Roberts did but better 15 years earlier and the media would fap incessantly about it?

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ed Vickers-Willis is the same height as Dane Rampe and I think he is definitely capable of becoming that type of player for us.

Sam Durdin doesn't fill me with much confidence at all, but he has just about everything you could want physically. His core strength could be better, but he is a great size and he moves really well for a big man. He is a type like Daw where if he ever does put it together, he could be an incredibly solid player.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I tend to agree with this. We are still light on now though given Taz's age, Thompson and the fact that McKay realistically may still need / be better as a forward in the long run. We had too many KPD's before now but we now likely need a couple of likely prospects over the next 2 years.

I reckon Taz is a young 30, if that makes any sense. Barring injury I Reckon he’ll play to 35

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
! Durdin will make it. EWV can play that Thompson versatile role (smalls and talls) in the future if he stays fit.

Re-draft Nielson god dammit!

Agree on Durdin. He just needs a good run of injury free footy. Durdins other strength is that he can play backup ruck, sure he’s 198cm but that’s where he played his best footy as a junior.

Unfortunately for Neilson, defenders can’t afford to be poor kicks anymore. Poor kid was born in the wrong era.

I reckon Taz is a young 30, if that makes any sense. Barring injury I Reckon he’ll play to 35

I don't know about 35 but I get you. Not much redundancy in that though.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree on Durdin. He just needs a good run of injury free footy. Durdins other strength is that he can play backup ruck, sure he’s 198cm but that’s where he played his best footy as a junior.

Unfortunately for Neilson, defenders can’t afford to be poor kicks anymore. Poor kid was born in the wrong era.
half-like

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't know about 35 but I get you. Not much redundancy in that though.

His a bit like Petrie, in that having injuries early might help his body hold up post 30. If he starts doing calf’s or hammy’s he’s in trouble. To me he looks in peak physical condition. Gees even Waite played (albeit part time) to 35.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
His a bit like Petrie, in that having injuries early might help his body hold up post 30. If he starts doing calf’s or hammy’s he’s in trouble. To me he looks in peak physical condition. Gees even Waite played (albeit part time) to 35.

Did Petrie miss much with injury? IIRC he was pretty durable throughout his career?

Do hope Tarrant gets the same outcome in longevity though.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
He missed like 2 years because of his feet

Yes he did! How did I overlook the golden age of 2010-11?!

Had assumed you meant him missing several early years in his career (like Tarrant did) setting him up for extra years at the end. Hopefully you're right anyway re Tarrant going a bit longer than he might've.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We may even pick one up in the mid season draft:

Mid-season draft: When is it and how will it work?

Riley Beveridge and Mitch Cleary Feb 7, 2019 11:59PM

CLUBS are beginning to learn the finer details of this year's mid-season draft, which is expected to fall after round 11.

AFL.com.au understands clubs have recently received information from the League explaining that the mid-season draft, the AFL's first since 1993, will be held the week of June 3 – just prior to the bye rounds commencing.

Seven clubs currently have list spots available and will subsequently be able to take part in the draft. Carlton is the only club with multiple spots available with three vacancies.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/midseason-draft-when-is-it-and-how-will-it-work

North Melbourne could also lean on the same rules for Majak Daw after the defender suffered "very serious injuries" after a fall from the Bolte Bridge in December.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-05/sydney-stacks-up-for-tigers-final-list-spot

By KPP standards, McKay(21) and Durdin(22) are still very young, however, we need to start giving them more games. Maj took a long time to find the best role for him. McKay and Durdin have recently been pushed down back but they have done pretty well at VFL level together.

I think the club is banking on them being the future key defenders along with EVW. Watson looks like he is being developed as a forward now, you would think the club has a lot of confidence with McKay and Durdin to do so.

Our major issue I think is with small and medium defenders. We haven't had someone that can play on gorilla medium forwards since Spud retired. Not sure what we will go with in smaller defenders. If we recruited Pittard to play then where do Williams, Wright, MacMillan and McDonald fit in given we have a bevvy of midfield and forward options now.

I wouldn't be surprised if we look at a free agent if we are not confident with the options we have.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
@tef, instead of Key Position Defenders (going forward), maybe we need to find a forward who can go back to fill a KPD position. Just sayin'

Whatever works.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’d be looking to fill that KPD defender with a middle aged player during the mid season draft. Just pick the best genuine key defender from the state leagues this year. Someone who kills it like Sam Collins did for Werribee last year.

We have a bit of a void of KP depth around that 22-26 age group.

Just make sure they are genuine KP size 195cm+

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’d be looking to fill that KPD defender with a middle aged player during the mid season draft. Just pick the best genuine key defender from the state leagues this year. Someone who kills it like Sam Collins did for Werribee last year.

We have a bit of a void of KP depth around that 22-26 age group.

Just make sure they are genuine KP size 195cm+
I thought the turnoff of Sam was his application was s**t? That's what I heard at Freo and why he got overlooked.

I definitely agree with that though. I mean some clubs have done really well done that. Marcus Adams comes to mind.

It's also why I was hoping Hawthorn got rid of Brand or we got linked to him again. Same with Dear from Adelaide.

I am very interested to see how Nielson goes at the Bees. Collins flourished there and if Nielson gets him body right he might too. In 16 VFL matches last year he was in the bests 7 times which is pretty good for a defender. Collins had 14 but also has been okay fitness wise. I just wonder if McKay's improvement lead to Nielson going and if the Majak incident happened earlier would they have kept him...or moved him on anyway.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I thought the turnoff of Sam was his application was s**t? That's what I heard at Freo and why he got overlooked.

I definitely agree with that though. I mean some clubs have done really well done that. Marcus Adams comes to mind.

It's also why I was hoping Hawthorn got rid of Brand or we got linked to him again. Same with Dear from Adelaide.

I am very interested to see how Nielson goes at the Bees. Collins flourished there and if Nielson gets him body right he might too. In 16 VFL matches last year he was in the bests 7 times which is pretty good for a defender. Collins had 14 but also has been okay fitness wise. I just wonder if McKay's improvement lead to Nielson going and if the Majak incident happened earlier would they have kept him...or moved him on anyway.
If he wasn't rated he wasn't staying regardless.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
That's what I want to know Passmore. Was he not rated or was he moved on due to list balance. I need the inside scoop on this one.
Our departed mate NN reckons he wasn't rated internally. s**t disposal and or decision making.

I didn't mind him, but he may just nit have been big enough for the power forwards.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back