Analysis Key Position Defenders (going forward)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It would been hard to fathom going by the past 3-4 years, but the list has KPD issues going forward.

Tazz is still playing good footy, but turns 30 this year.
Thompson is definitely in his twilight.
B-Mac is a 12 year lock.
The Majak tragedy still leaves him as an unknown quantity.
Durdin has had a hellish run of luck and hasn't been able to cement a spot.

I reckon we're going to definitely need to draft another KPD project kid and/or get in the market for an experienced KPD at the end of this year.

Thoughts?

It would been hard to fathom going by the past 3-4 years, but the list has KPD issues going forward.

B-Mac is a 12 year lock.

I reckon we're going to definitely need to draft another KPD project kid and/or get in the market for an experienced KPD at the end of this year.

Thoughts?

Yeah it's definitely the part of the list that will need to be focused on over the next couple of years...

In regards to Durdin - saw some real nice things in the VFL last year. I don't think he's a total bust, it's just the fact he hasn't managed to grab his limited opportunities with both hand along with the fact we have had 3 solid pillars back there too.

KPD's are a tough one - you almost need to pick up an established player to replace those moving out unless you have a seamless transition to those that are developing behind them. I honestly can't think of any names off the top of my head that fit that mould in the next couple of years...(e.g. free agents, contracts ending, etc...)

B-Mac is a 12 year lock.

Thoughts?

Good post Tef. Pre-draft we had talls go out with none coming back in. For that reason I expected us to draft at least 1 project tall forward with a possible tall defender on the cards too.

It didn't pan out that way and it's hard to criticise any of the club's selections. However as you mention there is a big potential gap down back on the horizon as there could be up forward past Ben Brown.

Ben McKay might also reduce KPD numbers further if he's considered a "break glass" option for Brown should the unthinkable happen and assuming Larkey is too unprepared physically for a key berth yet.

Which in turn leads me to wonder, could Larkey be an eventual key defensive option? While he has natural forward smarts, like Hansen he's shown strong signs of being able to read the play and "hang" for high marks and has some junior experience playing back. Should he never fill out enough he might be better suited at AFL level as a rangy spoil the contest backman than being expected to stick his backside out and hold his ground up forward. Especially with several physical, marking half-forward options now on the list threatening the use of a 3rd (or even 2nd) tall forward.

Because of player versatility our entire key position stocks probably need to be looked at collectively. At the end of 2019 as it stands (and health permitting) Brown could will be our only KP player on the good side of 30 who's played a full season and has 100+ career games to his name.

Agree with your general player synopsis. Tarrant's body/age will be the major issue for him. Thompson is basically a backline Waite ie no matter when he goes he'll be irreplaceable. Durdin is a player in the football wilderness and having never consistently performed in a particular VFL role can't be factored in with any certainty.

I'd be surprised if the coaches are factoring in any games let alone significant on-field output from Daw into their plans, if it played out that way it would be an unexpected bonus on many levels.

We probably need to scour the state leagues for the best KPD option for next season.

It's year 5 for Durdin this year. Unless he's cracked it for regular game time either or both parties could be looking to move on.

McKay and Tarrant were both probably looked at as forwards when draft but will our first choice KPD combo for the next 2-3 years so you have to factor in looking at fwds who could go back.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'm still optimistic with Durdin. His last 3 games in the AFL have been solid enough to suggest he could make the grade. Hoping the transition from the Tarrant-Thommo partnership to McKay-Durdin will become a reality. Expecting McKay to be a star. And EVW, albeit undersized, as the other part of the emerging KPD collective.

Expecting Taz to play another 2-3 years. Thommo likely to retire, but could go another year after this. Maj seems determined to return to footy, although that remains a real unknown. And Watson needs a couple of years in the VFL. My gut feel is that we are lacking a KPP this year and if Maj is on the LTI list for the season, we may pick up a tall via the supplementary rules.

As to upcoming trades, we are now fully loaded with mids for the foreseeable future, even more so if Kelly jumps on board. And with no obvious father-son or academy picks, I think we will go tall, either forwards or defenders, in both trade/FA and draft. I did like the look of Matt McGuinness from the academy and it might be handy if we could still pick him up next year if he develops well at state level this year.

A lot depends on Majak really.

The whole comp is moving away from a large bunch of super tall defenders, our list was actually completely unbalanced with the amount we had on the list over the last couple of years.

I'd say quality medium defenders are a much hotter commodity at the moment.

Most teams are running smaller, faster forward lines.

We don't have an AA quality small/medium defender of any description really. Marley is extremely serviceable, but he isn't elite. EVW has had ongoing injury issues, JMAC falls into Marley's territory, but more rebound than defence, Wright is 29 this year and in the same category, jury is out on McDonald & Pittard imo....

JMAC is the only one in there with a big body, he would still get monstered by a 191cm De Goey or Darling as an example.

Most teams most damaging forwards aren't their tallest at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which in turn leads me to wonder, could Larkey be an eventual key defensive option? While he has natural forward smarts, like Hansen he's shown strong signs of being able to read the play and "hang" for high marks and has some junior experience playing back. Should he never fill out enough he might be better suited at AFL level as a rangy spoil the contest backman than being expected to stick his backside out and hold his ground up forward. Especially with several physical, marking half-forward options now on the list threatening the use of a 3rd (or even 2nd) tall forward.

The other left field option is Larkey. Played plenty of under 18 football down back and was drafted as a KPP.

NOTSUREIF.jpg

The whole comp is moving away from a large bunch of super tall defenders, our list was actually completely unbalanced with the amount we had on the list over the last couple of years.

I'd say quality medium defenders are a much hotter commodity at the moment.

Most teams are running smaller, faster forward lines.

We don't have an AA quality small/medium defender of any description really. Marley is extremely serviceable, but he isn't elite. EVW has had ongoing injury issues, JMAC falls into Marley's territory, but more rebound than defence, Wright is 29 this year and in the same category, jury is out on McDonald & Pittard imo....

JMAC is the only one in there with a big body, he would still get monstered by a 191cm De Goey or Darling as an example.

Most teams most damaging forwards aren't their tallest at all.
If EVW gets over the injuries, do you think EVW has AA-quality potential as a medium defender?

People are forgetting Watson.

It has really surprised me that they have swung him forward.

Although I don’t see him as genuine KP player more as a third tall.

We need to draft another key Forward and another Key defender in the next draft
I didn't forget him but that discussion is buried within the AFLX talk. Wherever that is.

Here's one that might set the pat among cigeons.

Tarryn Thomas.

He reads the beautifully and is great overhead. He's lethal by foot and fast. He's got a build that looks like he's going to fill out and grow, he already tackles like a demon.

Who could take the 191cm De Gey types? Tarryn in a few years.

And he'll keep them utterly accountable breaking lines, setting up play.

Not a true KPD, but an absolute gun medium/reboudning defender.

Adelaide seem to unearth/develop KPD’s in abundance, although they never look as good once they leave. We should swap someone with them.

Yeah, they are like us with rucks.

Maybe we could do a "loan" deal - they draft a young ruck they like the look of and trade him to us, we draft a KPD and trade him to them - straight swapsies.

Three years later, we just do the trade in reverse.

HEY PRESTO! Everyone is happy except the AFL ban the move because its us and Adelaide.

Three years later when Sydney and Essendon do it and call it "The Sheedy Manouvre", the Herald Sun issues a commemorative 24 page liftout to mark the occasion.

I tend to agree with this. We are still light on now though given Taz's age, Thompson and the fact that McKay realistically may still need / be better as a forward in the long run. We had too many KPD's before now but we now likely need a couple of likely prospects over the next 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back