Analysis Kickouts: How Do We Fix Them?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think the issue is less the kicker and more the target. The standard long and to the right is always targeting a ruckman, which is ok but no more when Sauce is in the pack, and a horrendous decision when JJ is playing Joe the goose behind the big bodies.

We've got Lever, Talia and Hartigan, and to a lesser extent Cheney who can all take a contested mark when the ball is coming in. How about finding creative ways to use them on the way out? Set Sauce on the right, and Lever and Cheney on the left, with Talia straight up the ground.

Or overload the right side with talls and look to isolate Rory Sloane in a 1 on 1 contest. He might be our best contested mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What makes you think every other club has one? It's ok if it's a set shot because the kicker can work to the spot. But scoring shots in free play would mean not playing on quickly and our designated kicker just going long and boundary like Jaensch used to do. But having one is counterproductive to fast exit from the back half.
I don't think every other club has one. I don't really take notice of other teams kickers but we seem to change ours every time a behind is kicked, which I don't think is a great idea.

I don't think every other club has one. I don't really take notice of other teams kickers but we seem to change ours every time a behind is kicked, which I don't think is a great idea.

The problem with denying certain players is delay, which ends up being long and boundary. Even you or I could kick to ourselves, run 10 and pound it to the boundary line. If the closest player can't find an option that they're comfortable with, then plan B is available to them. The best kicker in the vicinity shoukd take the kick, but delay is the problem, not part of the solution.

Good thread...frustrating to watch...right hand side nearly every kick-in, and then shot on goal for the opp team. If we are going to attempt this, then at least mix it up and ensure we have the F50 covered. The only time I recalled us going left was nearly as bad...three went for the mark leaving North's crumbers to capitalise. The teams left in will slaughter us if we continually do this.

Jaenschy was a great kicker outerer! I think smith is the man. Has a rocket of a right leg and speed to run off the mark. I still remember the 98 grand final and the amount of kicks down the middle, not to mention the amount of different kick takers we had for the kick outs. How times have changed

Better than trying to handball out, remember years ago when the guys used to bunch up at the top of the square then run out in different directions for the kickout

The kick in issue has been a consistent one. Essentially we go long and to the right on a large % of kick ins.

The problem with this are 3 fold;
  1. Everyone on Earth knows we are going to do it.
  2. Jacobs is the intended target, but rarely takes those types of contested marks
  3. For some completely inconceivable reason, our mids seem unaware of this plan and we are almost always out numbered at the contest.
The logic is sound - kick long, kill the contest, take the ball out of bounds and start again. It is a safety first attitude.

The problem is that it feels like most other clubs use the kick-in as an attacking option. Hawthorn weren't rushing behinds in the GF so they could create another boundary throw-in!

Henderson is the worst of the kickin takers from my perspective. He is super slow to get the ball, waits until the umpire calls play on and then kicks long.

I'd love to see our guys rush to collect the ball, rush back to the square and get the ball in quickly.

First goal of 2015 semi final - Crows' kick out, Brodie Smith to Luke Hodge. Goal. Tone set.

He's a bit too hit and miss, which is ok kicking to half forward but we can't give up shots at goal.

Henderson is our best option but unlikely to be in the team. Likewise Seedsman. Brown has taken a few but is extremely average. No real options. Cheney please, chip to the pocket each time, then long and wide and hope for a boundary throw in. Best we can hope for.

Effective kick puts take courage and skill.

We need someone who is ice cold, loves the pressure and almost sees it as a challenge.

I think the problem is that we too often play for safety, as the kicker doesn't have the courage it confidence to try the riskier option.

After a while, the players don't even bother leading as they know it won't get honoured.

I would like Smith and Atkins given kick in duties and encouraged to be brave and back themselves in.

Well from where I sit watching the game I think that if the person kicking out looked to their left at least once, that would be a nice start. Often I have seen Rory Atkins with a fair amount of space on an opponent, usually someone he could beat 7 times out of 10 and at worst a 50/50, which when you consider the kick to the right usually at best a 50/50, well it makes me think it might be good to occasionally mix it up and kick to the vacant side of the ground. I know that would put some onus on our players to actually individually win a contest, god forbid, but what we are doing now isn't working amazingly and really it is only through weight of scoring that we haven't dropped more games this year because of it.

Well considering we are the no1 scoring team from kickins and no1 scoring team from defensive turnovers I think we have bigger issues...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, I will be the smartass--we fix them by kicking to the guys in the same colored jumpers as we are wearing and not kicking the ball to the guys in the different colored jumpers.

:)

If they're just going to continually bomb it long to the right with about a 15-20% success rate why not think outside the box and go old school and try Wallsy's old huddle #BringBackTheHuddle

Our kickouts have been impotent all year. Whilst we occasionally get a coast to coast goal which is great, it feels like we turn our kickouts over more than any other top 8 team.

What are we doing wrong:
- we seem to have the closest player kickout: I reckon most of our backs / mids have probable taken a kickout this year. Other teams have two or three dedicated kick in players. Smith and Atkins the obvious choices for us
- playing on from the kickout: we do this less than any other side IMO. Those extra three or four metres can make all the difference in kicking to a pack and kicking to a one on one contest
- spotting up 15 to 20 metre targets: we seem incapable of this also

It means we invariably are kicking to a pack just outside the 50, and given McGovern is the only guy in the side capable of taking a pack mark, we lose out more often than not.
I also have noticed how guys like hartigan and talus often kick in. I think the theory is they take it and try get it in the hands of a smith or Atkins for the next kick.

What happened to having a designated kicker? Is that gone now or are we the only club not to have one? Smith is clearly the best kick in our backline, so why he doesn't take them every time he's on the field I don't understand. No one else in our defence should be taking kick-ins. Brown has had some shocking turnovers out of defence lately and our KPD's shouldn't be taking them anyway.
I'd rather Smith on the end of the kick in ...

I think youll find if its a fast play the nearest player will take.
Slow play would be when a designated kicker will take it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back