Killzone 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know.

But did anyone beat their first play through with no deaths?
I did.

I reckon i'm going to try a speed run with just a knife. :thumbsu:

...I changed my mind again, after watching some full game reviews... The game does look pretty awesome I must admit. I just wish I didn't have to play a military grunt in single player.

Everyone has to watch this (0:59) -
[youtube]JHr43WMVpu4[/youtube]
Tried it after I first saw the vid, and the turret PWNS! I don't know if it is a glitch, more like an easter egg.

Also I managed to get the rocket launch, TBH it is a little lame, thought it would be a little more powerful and pack a bit more of a punch(Although it was good shooting it into a pack of Helghast and watching them flail about).

Also there is another weapon available in the demo, in the warehouse where the guy shoots at you from on the roof of the section before you leave the demo, if you can manage to shoot/blow up the guy so he falls off with his weapon, you get some sort of a sniper type weapon I think, I haven't been able to get it or see the weapon in action, but have heard of it being used.

Killzone Street Date broken by two weeks.

According to YouTube footage and comments made on the GameSpot forums, a number of gamers based in the United Arab Emirates have managed to get their hands on copies of Killzone 2 two weeks prior to its official release date.

Based in Dubai, a YouTube member by the name of moiNinja has uploaded footage of Killzone 2 being unwrapped from its original box. He claims that he bought the copy at his local game store.

"I couldn't believe myself when I first saw it in a local videogame store. It was Killzone 2 the full game. [Two] weeks before the release date. The salesman told me that they managed to bring only 70 copies of Killzone 2, and they all sold out in just [five] hours... He reserved one copy for me..." reads the post.

Further research took us to a post on the GameSpot forums, where claims are also coming in from members based in Dubai who have already got copies of the game, with photographic evidence taken by one member going by the name of 77slr77. Another poster claims that it is being sold by a number of small gaming shops across the United Arab Emirates.

Lucky them, eh? We'd guess that Sony will probably turn a blind eye to the broken street date, but you can guarantee that if any shop were dare to sell it before the release date in North America or Europe, Sony's lawyers would be onto them like whippets.

Killzone 2 is due for official release on February 25 in Europe, and February 27 in North America.

http://www.psu.com/Killzone-2-for-sale,-street-date-broken-News--a006392-p0.php

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 is a very good score in Edge though, so I wouldn't be too bothered by that.
Was going to post the written review from Edge, but honestly it is that piss poor I decided not to.

Will link it if anyone is interested though.

Was going to post the written review from Edge, but honestly it is that piss poor I decided not to.

Will link it if anyone is interested though.

I thought it seemed reasonable, and was well written, but then again I haven't even played the game, let alone seen the trailer, so that probably doesn't count for much, haha.

I respect Edge's opinions above everyone elses, but it just goes to show you shouldn't put too much stock in reviews. Reviews haven't even really been necessary since downloads became prominent years ago, IMO. They're just fun to read.

I thought it seemed reasonable, and was well written, but then again I haven't even played the game, let alone seen the trailer, so that probably doesn't count for much, haha.
I don't think it was necessarily poorly written, it was just that it seemed to be an almost carbon copy of the Fallout 3 review, it seems they say a game is great, but to get people looking/talking they give it a poor score(Especially in comparison to other games, and after all that is what the consumer is going to look at).

But basically they stat in the review that there is nothing wrong with the game, the gameplay is great, fun all that jazz, and the online is brilliant, it's just the story lacks a bit, and for this they deem it not worthy of getting an extra couple of points?

Gears of War 2 is a game that we have all heard is quite bland/vanilla/cliche in it's story excecution, yet that game managed to get a score of 9 from Edge, with this statement "At a time when everyone wants to turn the entertainment world on its head – or at least be seen to – it proves that the entertainment itself, whichever way up it may be, is what matters most." Now that to me is a contradiction, how can you love one game for entertaining, while having fairly vanilla story, yet give a game an average review for entertaining, and having a below par(Apparently) story?

It just doesn't work. /RANT.

Get ready for some Edge fanboy defence from me HBK. Apologies in advance if I resort to personal insults an namecalling ;)

I don't think it was necessarily poorly written, it was just that it seemed to be an almost carbon copy of the Fallout 3 review, it seems they say a game is great, but to get people looking/talking they give it a poor score(Especially in comparison to other games, and after all that is what the consumer is going to look at).

To be honest, I would be genuinely surprised if Edge was motivated in this way. They are, by a fair margin, the most respected video games publication in existance. If fact, I would go so far as to say they are too arrogant to care how any other publication/website are reviewing a particular game.

And as I said before, 7 is a very good Edge score - the equivalent of an 8/8.5 elsewhere. If another magazine had given these particular games a score like this, I doubt there would have been much of a backlash.

I personally have no problem with Edge giving good, big-budget games a (so-called) low score of 7 or so (eg: God of War 2, Mass Effect, the above mentioned K2 and F3) if they aren't truly exceptional or have niggling problems. It's completely ridiculous how, with pretty much every game review, a game with a score below 80% is considered crap. God knows how many 3-star albums and films I love or am eager to check out, but there's no way you'd bother with a 6/10 video game.

But basically they stat in the review that there is nothing wrong with the game, the gameplay is great, fun all that jazz, and the online is brilliant, it's just the story lacks a bit, and for this they deem it not worthy of getting an extra couple of points?

Their criticism wasn't *just* about the story being derivative/dull, though. They said that the missions/set pieces were also derivative, as were the enemies. The 'team dynamic' of the first game was gone (whatever the hell that means - I never played it!), and there is a tryhard badass in you squad who keeps dropping f-bombs and is largely embarrassing. All and all, to Edge, things were all a bit familiar.

Even with these small faults, the rest of the game seems very good and they said so, and gave it a (very good) award of 7. I think they reasoned well enough why it scored as it did.

Gears of War 2 is a game that we have all heard is quite bland/vanilla/cliche in it's story excecution, yet that game managed to get a score of 9 from Edge, with this statement "At a time when everyone wants to turn the entertainment world on its head – or at least be seen to – it proves that the entertainment itself, whichever way up it may be, is what matters most." Now that to me is a contradiction, how can you love one game for entertaining, while having fairly vanilla story, yet give a game an average review for entertaining, and having a below par(Apparently) story?

It just doesn't work. /RANT.

To be fair I don't think the magazine is out in Australia just yet, so neither of us have read the whole GoW2 review, and it would be unfair to judge it on the grounds of a Metacritic one-sentence grab. I'm guessing though, in this case, the story isn't terribly important in GoW2 (nothing more than a vehicle of setting up the set pieces and keeping the action flowing), while the story is an integral part to Killzone 2's singleplayer game. Perhaps Edge are just saying that an emphasis on story really isn't necessary in a all-out action game (or even that K2 might have benefited from less of an emphasis on story and stuck more to what makes the game great). But I might be talking out my arse since I know absolutely nothing about Gow2 ;)

Anyway, at the end of the day, you seem to be loving the demo, and chances are you will be loving the full game as it apparently delivers more of that same. And that's all that matters. Don't worry if a bunch of British elitist gaming snobs don't think it's perfect :thumbsu:

Reading some negative comments on this game:

• The objectives – Blow up communication towers, plant explosive charges, defend Johnny Useless team-mate, Guerrilla have more brutally killed the box rather than thought outside it for most of the game’s objectives.

• The level design – While levels are fairly linear in the way they’re laid out, usually offering clear, channelled progression, we still got lost quite a bit. Pressing up on the d-pad points you in the right direction, but, if level design were clearer, you’d naturally know where to go.

• Your AI team-mates – Aside from enjoying running in front of your gun, getting shot and needing to be constantly revived, your team-mates constantly grate by dropping relentlessly tiresome F bombs.

• A lack of memorable set pieces – The first five levels feel like a bit of a slog at times, with many trench fights or pitched battles in city squares. The pacing just can’t match something like Half-Life 2 and, as a result, the action gets tedious at times.

• ‘gamey’ – Many battles with the Helghast end with you having to trigger some sort of event - like having to walk to a certain point to activate a new stream of enemies or a new setpiece. It’s all a bit entrenched in contrived game logic. That, and the story is a load of clichéd sci-fi pap.

Seems my source was pretty spot on.

You knew about it before it was released early?

I see what you mean when you say "I have more knowledge than anyone in the town.

Btw, we all know I like KZ2 more.
I knew it before you knew it, FYI I knew about it on the 6th, when did you find out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back