Recommitted Kysaiah Pickett [Re-Signed till 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

you obviously haven't done your research in terms of the draft. there's a 50% bust rate for all draft picks, including first rounders. Lets have a look at some of ports first round busts: Barry Brooks, Salopek, Gilham, Adam Thomson, Lobbe, John Butcher, Andrew Moore, Pittard and Jacobs. Not to mention Willits (who you ask) who you picked up at pick 19, the same pick as Strauss, the player that was apparently half of the Ferrari. lol.

So don't go on about we couldn't develop players because Port have had more than their fair share of busts.

Gilham went on to have a decent career at Hawthorn. Was pretty hard done by injuries. As was Jacobs at North.

Not exactly a star studded list there.

you obviously haven't done your research in terms of the draft. there's a 50% bust rate for all draft picks, including first rounders. Lets have a look at some of ports first round busts: Barry Brooks, Salopek, Gilham, Adam Thomson, Lobbe, John Butcher, Andrew Moore, Pittard and Jacobs. Not to mention Willits (who you ask) who you picked up at pick 19, the same pick as Strauss, the player that was apparently half of the Ferrari. lol.

So don't go on about we couldn't develop players because Port have had more than their fair share of busts.

Firstly you’ve completely missed the ******* point

Secondly, Jesus. You’re going back a fair few years there. Most of that group is from 10-20 years ago.

Not to mention the fact most of those first rounders are teens picks, not early picks.

Also, why do you keep referring to Strauss whoever the * that is and not Scully Sylvia or Johnstone ? Priority draft pick - Wikipedia

you’re trying to argue that melb never received any help (in case you’ve forgotten in this weird segue into “but ports drafting sucked too”) from the afl and making a damn mess of it.

Good player, not one worth trading the farm for or throwing silly money in front of though.

You wasted pick 1 and pick 2 in the same year with one of the greatest players of all time going at pick 3. I'd take every Port draft bust put together over that.

Firstly you’ve completely missed the ******* point

Secondly, Jesus. You’re going back a fair few years there. Most of that group is from 10-20 years ago.

Not to mention the fact most of those first rounders are teens picks, not early picks.

Also, why do you keep referring to Strauss whoever the * that is and not Scully Sylvia or Johnstone ? Priority draft pick - Wikipedia

you’re trying to argue that melb never received any help (in case you’ve forgotten in this weird segue into “but ports drafting sucked too”) from the afl and making a damn mess of it.
I'm not missing the point at all. I said you unfairly said we couldn't develop players when in reality its just the nature of the draft and I correctly pointed out all of your own teams busts to show this. I never said that the AFL didn't help us out. You incorrectly said I was arguing that Melb never received any help. Happy for you to show me where I said this. I'll wait.

You wasted pick 1 and pick 2 in the same year lol
Once again, you haven't done your draft research which shows that there is a 50% bust of all picks in the first round of a draft, including picks 1 and 2. O Rourke (pick 2), P.McCartin (pick 1, certainly a fail for stkilda), T.Boyd (pick 1) Watts (pick 1), Jono Patton (pick 1), Rayner (not a bust but is just a role player at pick 1), Josh Schache (pick 2), the list goes on.. People greatly overrate draft picks.

You could also say we wasted the picks on Luke Jackson and Kozzie Pickett (if he goes) in the same draft because they left so soon. what's your point? I would argue that Jackson and Pickett are failed picks if they leave after such a short time. Some people will say they were good picks given we won a flag, but I don't subscribe to this. Trengove was a captain of our footy club, he was a good player until his injury. And Scully was decent too receiving a couple of all-australian squad nominations.

I'm not missing the point at all. I said you unfairly said we couldn't develop players when in reality its just the nature of the draft and I correctly pointed out all of your own teams busts to show this.

You’re confusing me with your conversation with another poster.

Here is the quote you’re referring to from a different person

Why is it the AFL's fault your club couldn't develop players?

The AFL handed you the keys to a Ferrari, you crashed it into a tree, and now you're complaining that the AFL wasn't generous enough to you because you don't have the Ferrari anymore.

I never said that the AFL didn't help us out. You incorrectly said I was arguing that Melb never received any help. Happy for you to show me where I said this. I'll wait.

You had this little whinge about the afl being so unfair to melb fans

it'd be very frustrating to lose 2 young guns in Jackson and Pickett and get very little in return. It's such an unfair system. In the meanwhile the dogs keep getting gifted top father son picks and academy picks and the afl rule us out of getting Mac Andrew. Each year the dees get punished by the system.

Sure, LB is the main culprit over the last few pages claiming that demons never get any help but you chimed in with this remark as if demons have been so hard done by after literally being dragged out of the muck by the afl.

“Each year the dees get punished by the system”

Lol.

Strange call. Salopek was a very good player whose body fell apart. Jacobs had a very promising start, left Port and then had injury issues. Lobbe Had injury Issues. Pittard played 150 games and was part of the 2018 trade period that gave us the picks to load up. Most of these guys either played 100+ games, showed plenty of promise but their bodies failed them, or were '1st round picks' in the sense of being 15-18.

Jack Watts, Scully, Trengove, Cale Morton, Toumpas were all top 5 draft picks in the space of a 5-year period. Not really sure setting premium picks on fire is the same as having pick 15s play 100 games for you.

Strange call. Salopek was a very good player whose body fell apart. Jacobs had a very promising start, left Port and then had injury issues. Lobbe Had injury Issues. Pittard played 150 games and was part of the 2018 trade period that gave us the picks to load up. Most of these guys either played 100+ games, showed plenty of promise but their bodies failed them, or were '1st round picks' in the sense of being 15-18.

Jack Watts, Scully, Trengove, Cale Morton, Toumpas were all top 5 draft picks in the space of a 5-year period. Not really sure setting premium picks on fire is the same as having pick 15s play 100 games for you.
sorry but you can't call Trengove a bust despite his career being hampered with his foot injury yet at the same time excuse Salopek, Jacobs and Lobbe. That's massive double standards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's with Henry anyway? Looked a superb talent in his draft year but just haven't seen/heard much of him since.
Struggled to adjust to the pace and effort requirements of AFL the first few years where he thought he was playing U17's still and could do anything he wanted on the field. Started to come good in patches last year before having a disastrous WAFL finals. He was always a slow burn but it's probably on him this year to show he can make it because with Acres going, that wing spot SHOULD be his if he's good enough.

Struggled to adjust to the pace and effort requirements of AFL the first few years where he thought he was playing U17's still and could do anything he wanted on the field. Started to come good in patches last year before having a disastrous WAFL finals. He was always a slow burn but it's probably on him this year to show he can make it because with Acres going, that wing spot SHOULD be his if he's good enough.

From a selfish point of view, I am glad Carlton bid on Henry or its probable you would have had enough points to claim the sublimely talented Jesse Motlop from your Academy catchment area.

Haven't been excited about a young prospect in Mots at Carlton since probably Charlie Curnow. The fact is just a chasing and forward pressure/tackling beast. Love him

Going to be a circus in here this year. If he hasn’t signed at the bye he is gone and it’d be disastrous for Melbourne to have two incredible young talents walk out in consecutive years. Might soften the blow if they send Butters or Duursma back though.
Duursma? He struggled to get a game in a middle of the road side. Not sure he would be a need for the Dees - unless you're talking about his brother who looks an amazing talent but Port don't have a 1st rounder this year.

From a selfish point of view, I am glad Carlton bid on Henry or its probable you would have had enough points to claim the sublimely talented Jesse Motlop from your Academy catchment area.

Haven't been excited about a young prospect in Mots at Carlton since probably Charlie Curnow. The fact is just a chasing and forward pressure/tackling beast. Love him
Motlop wasnt about points, we couldnt get him because he needed to go outside top 40 for us to be able to get him. That rule affected Motlop a year earlier than everyone else

Motlop wasnt about points, we couldnt get him because he needed to go outside top 40 for us to be able to get him. That rule affected Motlop a year earlier than everyone else

That actually really sucks for Freo.

Don't blame you for feeling resentful towards the AFL, seems to me that the Dockers always seem to be one of the clubs that get disadvantaged by these rule and draft changes than just about any other club (although Melbourne missed out on Mac Andrew too)

Don't blame you for feeling resentful towards the AFL, seems to me that the Dockers always seem to be one of the clubs that get disadvantaged by these rule and draft changes than just about any other club (although Melbourne missed out on Mac Andrew too)
I dont feel as resentful as others on this particular topic since we only had access to Motlop because Elders didnt like WA teams have access to indigenous talent from specific areas and wanted it all inclusive. Because that would be unfair for WA teams to have complete access to all indigenous talent in the state, the compromise was that metro talent would pre-emptively move to top 40.

I am more resentful towards your mob for not letting us have nice things

It was bullshit as the rule that applied to Motlop (couldn't match a bid outside pick 20 for indigenous metro academy prospects) ONLY applied to the SA and WA clubs and ONLY for that year of the draft. It turned out Freo was literally the only club affected by that rule, as they were the only SA or WA club with an indigenous metro prospect taken between picks 20 and 40

Because Freo are a low profile club, nobody in the media even commented on it and now noone is even aware of the ridiculous circumstances as to why he ended up at Carlton instead of Freo

Back on Pickett, before Eski3 and I derail the thread completely. I wonder just how big a loss he would be for Melbourne. The forwardline is their weakest part of the ground already and they'd have basically nothing to replace his 40 goals a year. I'd argue he'd be a bigger loss than Jackson (though not worth as much on trade table).

Gun. Would gladly trade Liam Henry and a first rounder for him.
Why would anyone want Henry?

Pickett just had 2 x 40 goal seasons, he would be the Dockers #1 goal scorer

Going to take a bit more than a dud and a first rounder

It was bullshit as the rule that applied to Motlop (couldn't match a bid outside pick 20 for indigenous metro academy prospects) ONLY applied to the SA and WA clubs and ONLY for that year of the draft. It turned out Freo was literally the only club affected by that rule, as they were the only SA or WA club with an indigenous metro prospect taken between picks 20 and 40

Because Freo are a low profile club, nobody in the media even commented on it and now noone is even aware of the ridiculous circumstances as to why he ended up at Carlton instead of Freo
The reason he ended up at Carlton instead of Freo is because Freo passed on him three times prior to Carlton drafting him? Fremantle had the opportunity to select him.

The reason he ended up at Carlton instead of Freo is because Freo passed on him three times prior to Carlton drafting him? Fremantle had the opportunity to select him.

I don't want to derail the thread any more than it is, other than to simply say that:

1. The rules were changed for WA and SA clubs; and
2. If the rules had not been changed, Jesse Motlop would currently be playing for Freo.

Being annoyed at a rule change that only applied to WA and SA clubs is pretty reasonable when the outcome of that rule change is that a good player is now playing for another club

To be fair to Freo, they fully intended to take him with their next pick, and Carlton probably unexpectedly took him earlier than what he was projected to be in many Phantom drafts.

Bit of a strange draft that one, Jesse definitely goes top 10 in a revisited draft (in my opinion) right now and so probably does Windhager taken with pick 47 by the Saints.

I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back