Recommitted Tom Barrass [OOC 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps not treating players like commodities, especially ones which have shown loyalty, is better in the long term and helps player retention.

Not losing players in general also seems to help in the long run. How many players have left the current top 4 recently?
Yep

We're not a club that pushes contracted players out the door.
That's why perhaps we have such a good record with player retention.

But, we're an easy target now.

We lose more than we gain by trading Barrass at this stage. Edwards is far from decent at this stage and has a LONG way to go. Bazzo although very raw would still be ahead of Edwards.

Sheed was used as a hypothetical. he'd probably get a 3rd to 2nd round upgrade for us. I'd rather that than trading one of our best at this stage.
Other ways besides this we can buy up the draft too...Maybe also bring in a few free agents as we'd no doubt have a heap of cap room now too. It doesn't all have to be done through the draft per-se.

If you look at in terms of player for pick yes, but look at it holistically. How much worse can it be? WC 2023 are one of the worst sides of all time, comparable to the expansion sides when they started. You can't really get belted much more than you have this year regardless of personnel.

And also this player has never ever played a full season of football.

If you look at in terms of player for pick yes, but look at it holistically. How much worse can it be? WC 2023 are one of the worst sides of all time, comparable to the expansion sides when they started. You can't really get belted much more than you have this year regardless of personnel.

And also this player has never ever played a full season of football.
I'm a strong believer in keeping some mature bodies around, in particular, club leaders and top tier talent. There are other ways to strengthen the side. Trade up via futures, smaller trades, free agency and maybe a big offer the the right players as we no doubt have a considerable war chest now.

I'm a strong believer in keeping some mature bodies around, in particular, club leaders and top tier talent. There are other ways to strengthen the side. Trade up via futures, smaller trades, free agency and maybe a big offer the the right players as we no doubt have a considerable war chest now.

Again, I don't disagree but if you let those mature players go would your season be worse than this one?

Again, I don't disagree but if you let those mature players go would your season be worse than this one?

Depends on the player. If we want Bazzo to play a role in the future, we can't have him thrown to the wolves each week. He needs to gain some confidence to back his ability. If we think we have the player, makes more sense to help him reach his potential than assume we have gotten it wrong all the time and go into constant rebuild for 10 years.

Depends on the player. If we want Bazzo to play a role in the future, we can't have him thrown to the wolves each week. He needs to gain some confidence to back his ability. If we think we have the player, makes more sense to help him reach his potential than assume we have gotten it wrong all the time and go into constant rebuild for 10 years.

I don't think constant rebuild for a decade is on the cards for the Eagles. But the players you have now won't be there when the team contends again except for the kids and Oscar Allen.

And again with 'thrown to the wolves" the team is losing regularly by 10-20 goals.

I don't think constant rebuild for a decade is on the cards for the Eagles. But the players you have now won't be there when the team contends again except for the kids and Oscar Allen.

And again with 'thrown to the wolves" the team is losing regularly by 10-20 goals.

Sure but no need to lose good players and club men on the off chance we get a good player, when in our position we will have the chance to draft lots of good players in the next 2 years.

How many are Geelong planning to cut at the end of this year or ship off for picks? Because I could probably name 15 players on your list who wont be playing in your next flag.

Sure but no need to lose good players and club men on the off chance we get a good player, when in our position we will have the chance to draft lots of good players in the next 2 years.

How many are Geelong planning to cut at the end of this year or ship off for picks? Because I could probably name 15 players on your list who wont be playing in your next flag.

We are probably going to lose quite a few but a) we are not one of the worst sides of all time and b) people would have said your last bit prior to 2022.

We are probably going to lose quite a few but a) we are not one of the worst sides of all time and b) people would have said your last bit prior to 2022.

a) Not yet anyway, we weren't tracking for this mid 2021 either (not saying I think you will be by the way).

b) just like people are saying we have no talent on the list. Just like they said we were in for a decade of pain in 2010. Just like they said we would finish bottom in 2018.

We suck now, really bad. But we are so terrible due to injuries. At the risk of repeating myself, injuries have turned what could have been a poor - middling side into a woeful side. But its put us in a position to access the top talent in the country. Something we haven't had for well over a decade.

Playing for the club should still mean something. We shouldn't ship off Tom to another state because it might help us in the future. In the long run, culture will help us more than pick 12 or whatever.

It's not about the score, it's about who the young players get to play on.

Brady Hough on Curnow, for example.

a) Not yet anyway, we weren't tracking for this mid 2021 either (not saying I think you will be by the way).

b) just like people are saying we have no talent on the list. Just like they said we were in for a decade of pain in 2010. Just like they said we would finish bottom in 2018.

We suck now, really bad. But we are so terrible due to injuries. At the risk of repeating myself, injuries have turned what could have been a poor - middling side into a woeful side. But its put us in a position to access the top talent in the country. Something we haven't had for well over a decade.

Playing for the club should still mean something. We shouldn't ship off Tom to another state because it might help us in the future. In the long run, culture will help us more than pick 12 or whatever.

b) It was a valid strategy IMO to keep the faith with the older players - my club has done this to great effect for a decade or more. But it hasn't worked for WC, those players don't stay on the park. If you put your faith in older players they can get injured a lot, Geelong have been lucky with this, WC not.

Even the player we are talking about ITT has never played a full season in his career.

But the culture of the club has been about vastly overpaying players who do not play regularly and when they do play they look visibly out of shape.

The new culture of the club will come from the younger players and those yet to be drafted. The more the better, the old is gone.

b) It was a valid strategy IMO to keep the faith with the older players - my club has done this to great effect for a decade or more. But it hasn't worked for WC, those players don't stay on the park. If you put your faith in older players they can get injured a lot, Geelong have been lucky with this, WC not.

Even the player we are talking about ITT has never played a full season in his career.

But the culture of the club has been about vastly overpaying players who do not play regularly and when they do play they look visibly out of shape.

The new culture of the club will come from the younger players and those yet to be drafted. The more the better, the old is gone.

Some of what you say is correct, although I think some of those players have been let down by the club high performance department.

But Tom isn't one of them, in terms of showing up unfit or being overpaid.

EDIT: To be honest most of what you say is correct.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With that reasoning no draft pick is ever worth anything...

Silly reasoning tbh

What you're proposing is this:

family-guy-mystery-box.gif

Getting rid a a player of Barrass' calibre, just to hope you get 'lucky' with a draft pick isn't smart list management, it's gambling.

What you're proposing is this:

family-guy-mystery-box.gif

Getting rid a a player of Barrass' calibre, just to hope you get 'lucky' with a draft pick isn't smart list management, it's gambling.
This is so *en dumb, it would be hilarious if your club went into the draft and picked randomly but that isn't how it works...

Barrass won't be around for your next premiership, who you pick with the capital from him may have been

This is so *en dumb, it would be hilarious if your club went into the draft and picked randomly but that isn't how it works...

Barrass won't be around for your next premiership, who you pick with the capital from him may have been

Unsurprising you don't get it.

Like I said, where Sydney's current pick is, who would you take if Barrass was traded?

Don't say best available, because clubs generally target needs after their highest pick is used.

I want you to go through the latest draft rankings and tell me who would likely be more valuable to our list over the next 4-6 years than Barrass.

This is the most recent one, from ESPN:

Currently Sydney are holding pick 12.

Don't say best available, because clubs generally target needs after their highest pick is used.
You still don't get it...

Your club NEEDS everything, its best available for the next 2 years minimum for you

You don't seem to understand how dire your list is...

I want you to go through the latest draft rankings and tell me who would likely be more valuable to our list over the next 4-6 years than Barrass.
Literally all of them that will be there for 10-12 years over Barrass 4-6

I hope that the people running your club don't have their heads in the sand like you do, actually thewest may implode if you keep chugging along like this, carry on 😂

You still don't get it...

Your club NEEDS everything, its best available for the next 2 years minimum for you

You don't seem to understand how dire your list is...

Mate, just answer the question.

If you're incapable of providing a proper answer, stop posting.

Literally all of them that will be there for 10-12 years over Barrass 4-6

I hope that the people running your club don't have their heads in the sand like you do, actually thewest may implode if you keep chugging along like this, carry on 😂

Again, which one would you pick? It's not a difficult question. I even gave you the link and the pick number.

Stop trolling.

Mate, just answer the question.

If you're incapable of providing a proper answer, stop posting.

Again, which one would you pick? It's not a difficult question. I even gave you the link and the pick number.

Stop trolling.
I have answered the question a million times, best available talent, whoever is there on the board

Which would I pick? Obviously the draft pick, as been stated many times

You keep your head in the sand though 👍

Rich to say I'm trolling when your posting this garbage

I have answered the question a million times, best available talent, whoever is there on the board

So if you had 4x developing KPDs on your list, you'd pick another because they were 'best available'?

Righto.

Which would I pick? Obviously the draft pick, as been stated many times

Give me a name.

You keep your head in the sand though 👍

Rich to say I'm trolling when your posting this garbage

You are obviously utterly clueless about the players developing on the WCE list right now. Time to shut your trap if you're going to troll.

I'll take that as you admitting you're clueless, lazy and trolling :thumbsu:
To be fair mate, 'best available' is a legitimate answer.

Eagles don't really have enough pieces of the puzzle to target a particular type of player yet. Having said that, Id probably preference others over Edwards, as the rucks at Eagles are good and developing well but certainly wouldn't be disappointed to have him on the list. It's a bit of a win win. I reckon he could be a gun. There also isn't a forward in that range Id consider, so it would most likely be a midfielder or defender.

I'd still prefer to keep Barrass though. Very good player.

To be fair mate, 'best available' is a legitimate answer.

Most of the time it is, yes. Looking at those players around pick 12 however, I don't think any of them are worth trading Barrass for, as we already have players developing in those positions who were drafted in within the past 2 years. All it will do is create competition for play time in those spots, which is fine under a lot of circumstances, but if you have to play one of them well out of position, because you have too many of the same type, it just stunts their development.

Eagles don't really have enough pieces of the puzzle to target a particular type of player yet. Having said that, Id probably preference others over Edwards, as the rucks at Eagles are good and developing well but certainly wouldn't be disappointed to have him on the list. It's a bit of a win win. I reckon he could be a gun. There also isn't a forward in that range Id consider, so it would most likely be a midfielder or defender.

Agreed, I'd definitely go for other over Edwards. WCE have always had a gun in the ruck department but the past 20 years suggests you only need someone who can compete/halve the contests and don't need to over-invest in that department.

I'd still prefer to keep Barrass though. Very good player.

I was all for it if it was a pick higher than 8 but as the Swans kept on winning, it's lost its appeal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back