Recommitted Tom Barrass [OOC 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

The West Australian is reporting that the Eagles have a fight to keep him at the club despite being contracted through 2027.

He's a WA boy so there's no go home factor, starting price would surely involve a 1st rounder. Maybe the Bulldogs?

I think he's the type of player it's not a bad thing if he leaves. Hill leaving was good for us, we completely wasted the Neale capital but he wasnt going to be the same level of player by the time we were truly competing.

27 is an age where he has a lot of value to a club but he's not going to be a great player when WC come out of their rebuild. As contracted, turning him into a pick between 10 and 15 will help move the rebuild along

Could be a massive win for WCE if they get a top 10 pick for him

will be 32+ when Eagles are looking to challenge again, gets another high quality kid through the door

It just depends whether WCE can back in their recruiting team to nail the pick

Should have structured his deal as a bunch of 1 year extension options (either party can exercise) so he could just be a RFA and get them pick #2.

Should have structured his deal as a bunch of 1 year extension options (either party can exercise) so he could just be a RFA and get them pick #2.
Hindsight is wonderful. Their fall has been spectacular and nobody would've thought this bad.

Hindsight is wonderful. Their fall has been spectacular and nobody would've thought this bad.
Can’t you just structure all deals this way? You make the option exercisable by either club or player, so gives the exact same security to both parties as a fixed [5] year contract, but if club and player mutually agree mid-contract term then neither triggers, the player becomes a FA they can game the compensation system.

Can’t you just structure all deals this way? You make the option exercisable by either club or player, so gives the exact same security to both parties as a fixed [5] year contract, but if club and player mutually agree mid-contract term then neither triggers, the player becomes a FA they can game the compensation system.
No you can't do this, if you actually write a trigger into a contract then the moment a trigger is hit it activates

If you don't write the trigger In and have a "handshake" agreement then the run the risk of either party reneging on the contract at any time. I.e no security for either club or player

No you can't do this, if you actually write a trigger into a contract then the moment a trigger is hit it activates

If you don't write the trigger In and have a "handshake" agreement then the run the risk of either party reneging on the contract at any time. I.e no security for either club or player
Are you saying AFL contracts can have triggers but can’t have pure options? I’m pretty sure Josh Kelly at GWS had an extension option at his election.

EDIT: Just had a look at some language from the 2017 CBA language and it does appear to expressly prohibit unilateral extension options. No idea how the Josh Kelly contact was allowed then though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans are keen apparently.

I reckon he'll stay but...eagles could end up trading pick 1 and Barrass for 4 top 10 picks. Couldn't ask for a better start to a full rebuild.
Which clubs have three top ten picks or equivalent assets to give for pick one?

Are you saying AFL contracts can have triggers but can’t have pure options? I’m pretty sure Josh Kelly at GWS had an extension option at his election.

EDIT: Just had a look at some language from the 2017 CBA language and it does appear to expressly prohibit unilateral extension options. No idea how the Josh Kelly contact was allowed then though.
Josh Kelly was a handshake deal

Either club or player could have actually walked after the 2 year deal

That's a lot of trust from both parties

It's also the only known scenario where that has happened before

Josh Kelly was a handshake deal

Either club or player could have actually walked after the 2 year deal

That's a lot of trust from both parties

It's also the only known scenario where that has happened before
Thanks for clarifying 👍🏻

Do you know if players and clubs can renegotiate existing contracts to reduce the number of years? Counterintuitive other than another way to game the FA compensation.

The FA compensation system is a joke, both in totality and then nonsense of gains and losses (but only within a single year) offsetting. I just want a club to game it hard enough that the AFL scraps it.

Thanks for clarifying 👍🏻

Do you know if players and clubs can renegotiate existing contracts to reduce the number of years? Counterintuitive other than another way to game the FA compensation.

The FA compensation system is a joke, both in totality and then nonsense of gains and losses (but only within a single year) offsetting. I just want a club to game it hard enough that the AFL scraps it.
AFL has to approve of contracts like that

There was a very murky one with the Joe Daniher deal to Lions, signed for 3 years on high money and bombers got pick 9ish, then a year later he extended his deal, AFL ticked off on it but who knows what their reasoning is

It definitely makes it a bit murkier, I couldn't tell you what the AFL would or wouldn't tick off tbh, definitely some chances of gaming the system imo

North have two first rounders.

Pick 2/3 is too high.

I would welcome offering WCE Port’s pick, but the way PA is playing, I doubt WC would accept pick 17 or whatever it turns out to be.

If McKay left however, it changes things a lot, particularly if there’s a PP element to the compo.

Say we got pick 3 as compo-pp for McKay, and GWS were happy to do a trade 3+17>8+10, I reckon one of those could be around the sweet spot for West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back