Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Week 6 NFL Player of the Week: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/

NFL Quarterback of the Week | Derek Carr
There has been some Jeckyl and Hyde from the Las Vegas Raiders, and more specifically, from Derek Carr. However, the last 8-10 days must have been extremely mentally draining for many of the team’s players.

Carr went 18-of-27 for 341 yards and 2 touchdowns. Now, I won’t lie — when it comes to “quarterbacking,” I believe others had better days. But I love how Carr trusted in his playmakers to make plays with the ball in the air, and he spread his 25 targets around.

He was also first in QBR and second in EPA/play, which shouldn’t be surprising given the lack of plays credited to him and his massive statistical output. He efficiently threw up some nutty numbers on Sunday.

Hopefully, both Carr and the team can keep up a high level of play — the league is more fun when the Raiders are good.

NFL Defensive Player of the Week | Maxx Crosby
The Maxx Crosby breakout season continued Sunday with an incredible performance against the Denver Broncos that included 3 sacks, 5 QB hits, 1 tackle for loss, and 1 pass defensed. Have yourself a day, young man!

Crosby posted 12 pressures in Week 6, three more than anyone else in the league. It was also the second time this season he’s had at least 12 in a single outing. He’s getting to and affecting the quarterback better than anybody in the game right now. In Week 6 of the NFL season, it led to a statistical masterpiece and Player of the Week honors.

A chaotic start to the season but the Raiders are 4-2 and will be favourites going into their next game against Philly with a great chance to be 5-2 before the bye. The season is well and truly alive for them to take with both hands.

I am so happy beating the donkeys after the last two bad weeks. A great team effort. Very impressed by Moreau, did some huge blocks.
Need everyone to put in every week the same.

Not just Moreau - the entire O line really did quite well in the run game compared to previous weeks. Didn't have negative plays in the run game.

They played with more decisiveness. Must win this week against Philly. Get to the bye 5-2, then regroup for the final 10 games.

Realistically speaking, our next two games we should be winning if we are a team who is gonna make the playoffs. That would put us 6-2 going into the final 9 games of the year. Even going a game under 500 (ie 4-5) the rest of the way gets them to double digit wins and in all likelihood a wildcard spot.

We don’t feel like effort has been an issue at all this year,” Bisaccia said. “We feel like we have a good team. We have a good team that competes with itself all the time. We thought we had a really good practice Wednesday and Thursday, and they played a lot like they practiced.”

Bisaccia, the former assistant head coach/special teams coordinator promoted in absence of Gruden, downplayed the personal significance of the win even though he had waited 38 years for his first head-coaching opportunity. A few changes were noticeable with Bisaccia.

For one, he was on the field nearly three hours before kickoff with the special-teamers — and it may have paid off. Kicker Daniel Carlson and punter A.J. Cole proved to be an important part of the win.

The former made two of three field-goal attempts, including a 50-yarder on the Raiders’ second possession, while the latter continued a hot start to the year by continually giving the visitors an edge in field position. Bisaccia’s biggest issue came at kickoff when he couldn’t figure out his headset to communicate with the likes of Bradley and offensive coordinator Greg Olson.

lvsun.com

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell lifted the league-imposed suspensions of Alabama alumni Ryan Anderson and D.J. Fluker on Tuesday, removing an impediment to the free agents finding places on NFL teams.

Both players served six-game suspensions and were among seven players reinstated by the commissioner on Tuesday.

The Miami Dolphins placed Fluker on injured reserve on July 29 and released the offensive lineman four days later with an injury settlement after he’d had meniscus surgery.

No announcement was made on Fluker’s suspension, presumably because he was not on a team’s roster at the time of the disciplinary action.

Fluker was the 11th player picked in the 2013 NFL Draft. Last season, he played in every game and started half the schedule for the Baltimore Ravens. In eight NFL seasons, Fluker has played in 108 regular-season games with 96 starts while playing for the San Diego Chargers, Giants, Seattle Seahawks and Ravens. He has played guard and tackle, usually on the right side, during his NFL career.

Fluker worked out for the Las Vegas Raiders on Tuesday, according to the NFL’s daily workout report

The same day the six-game suspension was lifted for DJ Fluker, he was in Las Vegas trying out for the Raiders. The team summarily signed the veteran offensive lineman to their practice squad. Fluker was on the field today for the team’s first practice of the week according to media in attendance.

Last season he was back at right tackle, starting 8 games for the Ravens.

Josh Jacobs: It was like there was no anxiety on the sideline with Rich Bisaccia as coach

Posted by Myles Simmons on October 21, 2021, 10:43 AM EDT

Jon Gruden’s resignation as Raiders head coach could have thrown the team into disarray.

Instead, Las Vegas went to Denver and notched a decisive victory over the Broncos.

According to running back Josh Jacobs, Raiders interim head coach Rich Bisaccia brought a significantly different demeanor to the position than his predecessor.

“Man, the sideline … it was like [there was no] anxiety,” Jacobs said, via Adam Hill of the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “It was weird. It was like everybody was calm. You didn’t have somebody cussing at you, or going crazy at the refs. None of that.”

Jacobs added that if a mistake or bad play occurred, everyone was able to move on seamlessly.

t was like, ‘OK, not going to harp on it, next play.’ The guys all kind of motivated each other,” Jacobs said. “You saw a lot of defensive guys standing up and offensive guys jumping off the bench when the defense made plays. I was like, that’s the right type of energy that we needed. I loved it.”

Jacobs had his most productive day of the season in Sunday’s victory, recording 82 yards from scrimmage with a rushing touchdown.

The Raiders will try to keep the good vibes going against the Eagles at home in Week Seven.

All other players on the report participated in practice in some capacity. Wide receiver Bryan Edwards (hamstring), defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins (hip), linebacker Nick Kwiatkoski (toe), tackle Kolton Miller (pectoral) and wide receiver Henry Ruggs III (knee) were all upgraded to full participation.
Safety Dallin Leavitt, who has a quad injury, was limited after missing Wednesday's practice.

Olson said the biggest disappointment this season has been the injury to Derek Carrier. He felt the Raiders were ahead of the league with their 3-tight end looks, personnel and big-play possibilities.

Recent free-agent signing Peyton Barber did well in Jacobs’ place, especially during a 111-yard rushing performance against the Dolphins, but the Raiders now have their full complement of running backs healthy.

In addition to Drake breaking out last week, veteran Jalen Richard came off injured reserve before the Bears game and has caught a pass in each of the last two contests.

“For every player, we develop a package for them that will accentuate their strengths and have a chance for them to get the ball and do what they do best,” offensive coordinator Greg Olson said.

Olson wasn’t ready to join in on the optimism for the running attack out of one game, noting he’s still “not happy with where it’s at.” But, with Las Vegas dismantling its offensive line in the offseason and then suffering injuries to both starting guards, improvement was bound to be a long process.

Jacobs mentioned after the Bears game that he would watch film and feel helpless, like there was nowhere for him to run. One week later, he came away a lot more encouraged after rewatching the Broncos win.

“We’re finally getting a lot of guys who are getting a lot of movement,” Jacobs said. “There were a couple plays where we weren’t getting touched for five yards, things like that. It was definitely a step in the right direction.”

lvsun.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recent free-agent signing Peyton Barber did well in Jacobs’ place, especially during a 111-yard rushing performance against the Dolphins, but the Raiders now have their full complement of running backs healthy.

In addition to Drake breaking out last week, veteran Jalen Richard came off injured reserve before the Bears game and has caught a pass in each of the last two contests.

“For every player, we develop a package for them that will accentuate their strengths and have a chance for them to get the ball and do what they do best,” offensive coordinator Greg Olson said.

Olson wasn’t ready to join in on the optimism for the running attack out of one game, noting he’s still “not happy with where it’s at.” But, with Las Vegas dismantling its offensive line in the offseason and then suffering injuries to both starting guards, improvement was bound to be a long process.

Jacobs mentioned after the Bears game that he would watch film and feel helpless, like there was nowhere for him to run. One week later, he came away a lot more encouraged after rewatching the Broncos win.

“We’re finally getting a lot of guys who are getting a lot of movement,” Jacobs said. “There were a couple plays where we weren’t getting touched for five yards, things like that. It was definitely a step in the right direction.”

lvsun.com
Having watched the Browns gash the Broncos on the ground yesterday I would not be getting too excited about our run game just yet.

5-2 going into the bye. Given all the turmoil we've gone through along with a pretty tough schedule, our record is nothing to scoff at. Just keep stacking wins for now. I think 10 wins will get us a wildcard spot, though I think we can potentially win the division if things go our way.

Last edited:
Should really be 6-1 without the Gruden BS.

Have to spilt the games against KC and LA and I think we'll win the division.

The last two games we've seen the Raiders play better as a collective than they had all season. That is, a balanced attack on offence, a physical defense who puts pressure on the QB in the pass game and generates turnovers, and a group of special teams who win the battle of field position.

I said to a friend today that I believe today's performance was better than last week's. Last week's effort on offence was quite amazing, but I personally doubted the likelihood of the offence completing every single deep ball - against Denver that aspect of the game was uncanny. Couldn't do a thing wrong in the vertical game, and I'm not sure that can be replicated on a weekly basis. However, you look at what the offence did today in the pass game. Eagles sat back 2 high no blitzing, and Carr sliced through them surgically but still generated plenty of chunk plays. THAT is certainly replicable on a weekly basis.

I loved Jon Gruden because he brought about a sense of accountability that this team had long been lacking. There was also a significant void of leadership within the organisation. Del Rio was a nice guy but probably in over his head a touch (I think he'd be a very good college coach). Carr and Mack were "nice" guys but they lacked a sense of gravitas. The guy who had that in spades was Charles Woodson, and he led an on-field revival tutoring the young guys (in particular Carr and Mack).

Now with Gruden gone, there's a power vacuum. Initially my thoughts as to who would fill it was either the head coach or the GM. Instead, it was neither, but rather was Derek Carr. On many fronts, it would be easy to suggest that this Raiders organisation is in turmoil. President resigned barely a month before the season started. Head coach on a year 10 year deal resigned after a litany of egregious emails criticising virtually every minority group in existence. GM largely considered a lame duck given he was thought to be a pencil pusher doing a whole lot of not much outside of executing Gruden's personnel plan. All topped off with an owner who thinks the NFL has it out to get him given the timing of the email leak, not to mention getting executed by the media for not fronting the press in the aftermath of Gruden's resignation.

Instead, Bisaccia remarkably has deferred the power back to the players, letting them "own" their current situation and to let them shape their future. In doing so, Carr has stepped up and become the leader that this organisation needed right now.

Phil Jackson would rarely call a timeout to curb momentum during games in the NBA - because he believed it was up to the players to be able to work through such situations, to take ownership of the situation rather than requiring a "grown up" (coach) fix it for them. Bisaccia has done much the same the past fortnight.

I'm not trying to get too excited about this team - because there's still 11 games left in the regular season. But my goodness, this is as good an opportunity we've had in the last 5 years to make the playoffs, and with #4 as QB, I'm confident of good things happening in January if we get there.

Phil Jackson would rarely call a timeout to curb momentum during games in the NBA - because he believed it was up to the players to be able to work through such situations, to take ownership of the situation rather than requiring a "grown up" (coach) fix it for them. Bisaccia has done much the same the past fortnight.

With Bisaccia calling the shots, Las Vegas put on a clinic in complementary football on Sunday. The passing game operated smoothly, with Derek Carr connecting on an absurd 91.2 % of his passes (31-of-34, 323 yards, two touchdowns, one interception). The running game was cranked up no matter who was in the backfield, as the team rushed for 120 yards at 4.3 yards per attempt. And the defense overwhelmed second-year Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts, chasing him out of the pocket numerous times and forcing a pair of turnovers. Las Vegas even successfully fielded two onside-kick attempts by Philly, which had to please Bisaccia, a longtime special teams coordinator.

It was the best the Raiders have played since arriving in Las Vegas last year.

Despite everything that has happened this season, the Raiders are currently 5-2 and sitting in first place in the AFC West as they head into their bye week. Considering they’re playing through a scandal that had the potential to derail the entire campaign, that counts as quite a development, and credit has to go to Bisaccia for not just holding things together so far, but taking the team's overall performance to a new level

Casey Hayward was signed after the draft, but he has been a rock-solid cornerback for the past few years. However, he is having arguably the best year of his career and is currently Pro Football Focus’ No. 1 ranked cornerback. He has been everything they had hoped for and more when they brought him in via free agency.

Hayward thriving in Gus Bradley’s scheme isn’t shocking. But it’s his play combined with rookie Nate Hobbs that is the most impressive. Together, the two undersized cornerbacks have not allowed a single touchdown yet this season.

Pro Football Focus currently has Hobbs ranked as the eighth-highest graded rookie this season. He is PFF’s highest-rated defensive backs through seven games as he hasn’t allowed a touchdown yet this season.

#Raiders DE
@CrosbyMaxx
leads the NFL with 47 pressures this season, per
@PFF
. Crosby has more pressures than 10 teams have gotten from *all* their edge rushers: Falcons (31), Giants (33), Jets (43), Dolphins (44), Chargers (44), Ravens, Colts, Patriots, Eagles & Steelers (45).

Gotta give credit to Gruden for bringing in these guys. Still Have Morrow And Mullen Out Of The D.

Which NFL offseason moves have paid off so far?
washingtonpost.com

Raiders: Signing Yannick Ngakoue
Las Vegas has gotten more from Ngakoue than the $13 million per year it is paying him. The Raiders’ defense was horrible last year, and Ngakoue has helped make it legit. He has four sacks and 10 quarterback hits, and he has reestablished himself as one of the better edge rushers in the league.

It’s also worth noting that, despite a poor track record of drafting during Jon Gruden’s tenure, the Raiders came away with a couple of good values in this year’s class: fifth-round cornerback Nate Hobbs and second-round safety Trevon Moehrig.

nfl.com

Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis expressed his displeasure Wednesday with the timing of when he learned of Jon Gruden's emails, which led to Gruden's resignation as head coach Oct. 11.
Davis, speaking at the conclusion of the Fall League Meeting in New York, alleged that the NFL "may have known" about Gruden's emails "months beforehand."
"It's a timing issue," Davis said. "That's probably the disappointment that I had. … Well, the fact that they may have known about it a couple of months beforehand and didn't let us know about that. We weren't informed until, I guess it was that Thursday (Oct. 7), and we heard it from The Wall Street Journal initially. It was a rumor initially, they wouldn't give us the email at the time, The Wall Street Journal wouldn't. We spoke to the league later on that afternoon and by Friday (Oct. 8), they started giving us all the information, I spoke with the Commissioner and those things. But I believed if we'd have gotten the information earlier in the summer when they learned about it, it would've been a lot easier for everyone involved.

Davis was asked if he believes his team had been treated unfairly.
"No, I'm not gonna get into any of that," he said. "We're Raiders. We're used to this. That's just what our life is about. It is disappointing, just the whole thing with Jon, you know. It's just life."

"I've never seen Jon exhibit any of those things in practice with the Raiders," Davis said. "He's no longer the coach of the Raiders. It's something that had to be done. It didn't represent what the Raiders stand for."

Raiders, Jon Gruden reach settlement on his contract

Posted by Mike Florio on October 27, 2021, 10:24 PM EDT

Although Raiders coach Jon Gruden technically resigned, the resignation undoubtedly came under threat of termination, if he didn’t choose to leave voluntarily. Unresolved when he abruptly walked away was the balance of his reported 10-year, $100 million contract.
Via Vic Tafur of TheAthletic.com, owner Mark Davis said Wednesday that a settlement has been reached.

Gruden reportedly had $40 million in remaining guaranteed payments. PFT had reported when Gruden signed the contract that it was not fully guaranteed, and potentially backloaded.

The release of claims that Gruden signed in order to get his money likely extends broadly enough to cover the league, especially since the Raiders represent 1/32nd of it. If so, that would prevent Gruden from suing the league for intentional interference with his relationship with the Raiders.

“He’s hurt, he’s really hurt, and I understand that,” Davis said regarding Gruden. “But he understands the ramifications of what he said. I love Jon and I love his family. We all have demons in our lives, and you have to understand that, and you also have to look at redemption as well.”

Gruden’s redemption likely won’t come in the form of a return to coaching in the NFL. And he probably won’t be interested in something like the reconstituted XFL. His future could come in the form of providing NFL content for one of the various sports books, which are trying to get into the sports content business in order to gather a pool of visitors who then can potentially become customers. They’re throwing huge money around, and Gruden possibly could make the same $10 million per year from a gambling company that he was making from the Raiders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back