AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
2023 Leadership geoup
Captain: Alex Pearce
Vice Captains: Serong and Brayshaw
Leadership group: Young, Switkowski, JOM

I don’t have a really strong opinion on the captain, I thought Alex Pearce had a very poor year form wise. I’ve no idea whether he lead well.

IMO captain has to come from Pearce, Brayshaw or Serong.

Young lifted his game and seem to lead by example. There were times when JOM and Switkowski looked borderline best 22, I can’t see either lasting in the leadership group.

You want leadership, Schultz comes to mind. That guy is heart and soul. He’s one of the best small forwards in the afl, never shirks a contest; always pressures. I don’t know how JOM walked straight into the leadership group when there is guys like Schultz at the club.

Oscar Allen

Yeah nah I can't understand why fans think they know who should go into a leadership group. Obviously when the Captain isn't performing, then you can raise concerns about his selection and suggest replacements, but apart from what we see on field we know very little about the leadership capabilities of the guys at the club.

My dream Leadership group:

Serong (C), Brayshaw (VC), Young, Darcy and Treacy.

Treacy is a out there pick, but the guy was captain as a junior and is just someone who leads by example with the way he goes about it on the field.
Switch Brayshaw and serong around and thats fine.

Serong Captain in 2024 in only his 5th year? It would work.

Brayshaw captain in his 7th year in 2024? Suitable as he is in his prime.

I dont hate Alex Pearce. I think Alex Pearce this season suffered in a similar way David Mundy did in 2016.

I will put this on record. David Mundy in 2016 got 448 disposals in 18 games. thats 23.66 disposals a game.

in 2017, David Mundy got 448 disposals in 21 games or 21.33 disposals a game

Unless Alex Pearce decides to step down next season from the captaincy, he will still be the skipper of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My dream Leadership group:

Serong (C), Brayshaw (VC), Young, Darcy and Treacy.

Treacy is an out there pick, but the guy was captain as a junior and is just someone who leads by example with the way he goes about it on the field.
Sorry, but Darcy & Treacy ??? Darcy overweight & needs to get himself fitter. Always looks injured. Not great example, not leadership material in my view. Just let JT play and lock down his spot. Like him a lot, but only 13 goals as second tall forward. Have confidence that he’ll make a player but doesn’t need leadership role yet.

I think Alex will continue with the Captain role in 2024.

This year has been a sharp learning curve for him. He is no doubt more aware of the requirements of the role and the players will benefit from that knowledge. I‘m pretty sure that if we had made finals this year there would’ve been far less criticism from fans of Alex’s performance as Captain.

The players backed him in for this season and I believe they will again.

I have every faith in the players to make the right call for them and the Club.

Sorry, but Darcy & Treacy ??? Darcy overweight & needs to get himself fitter. Always looks injured. Not great example, not leadership material in my view. Just let JT play and lock down his spot. Like him a lot, but only 13 goals as second tall forward. Have confidence that he’ll make a player but doesn’t need leadership role yet.
Treacy is very vocal on field, was captain of his u18 team and is the epitome of team first with the blocks and taps from marking contests to the smalls. I’d have no problem with him in the leadership group.
The one forward (Switta) in the group has been down on form all year and is more suited as Xfactor in the middle than a forward. Essentially Walters has been the leader of the forwards without the title all year.

I think Alex will continue with the Captain role in 2024.

This year has been a sharp learning curve for him. He is no doubt more aware of the requirements of the role and the players will benefit from that knowledge. I‘m pretty sure that if we had made finals this year there would’ve been far less criticism from fans of Alex’s performance as Captain.

The players backed him in for this season and I believe they will again.

I have every faith in the players to make the right call for them and the Club.

I don't think the players actually voted directly for Pearce based on the language used by Bell in the announcement. That suggested it was either a vote for who would be in the "leadership group" without specifying order/preference and all 3 main choices were selected by everyone. Or quite possibly Serong/Brayshaw had more votes if players were actually giving out a 5-4-3-2-1 type of votes. Either way, the brass of Bell, Longmuir, etc were the ones who chose Pearce.

I don't think Pearce should be captain, but I doubt they will change it next year because it would make them look bad by admitting they stuffed it up this year.

I don't think the players actually voted directly for Pearce based on the language used by Bell in the announcement. That suggested it was either a vote for who would be in the "leadership group" without specifying order/preference and all 3 main choices were selected by everyone. Or quite possibly Serong/Brayshaw had more votes if players were actually giving out a 5-4-3-2-1 type of votes. Either way, the brass of Bell, Longmuir, etc were the ones who chose Pearce.

I don't think Pearce should be captain, but I doubt they will change it next year because it would make them look bad by admitting they stuffed it up this year.

Disagree. They can graciously thank him for his efforts as a transitional captain the way Mundy was, bridging the divide between two generations, and then just pretend that was the plan all along. That might actually be the plan anyway, we'll see.

Yeah nah I can't understand why fans think they know who should go into a leadership group. Obviously when the Captain isn't performing, then you can raise concerns about his selection and suggest replacements, but apart from what we see on field we know very little about the leadership capabilities of the guys at the club.
Not just what you see on-field. Words are important. Over-all conduct is important. Consistency is important.
Does the team come out fired up?
Are young players developing?
Are problems identified and recified?
Are you a 'destination club'?
Are standards high?
All these issues and more are all impacted by the quality of leadership and are assessable in part by observers.

Is Serong too young still?

It's either now or Pearce gets another year as caretaker before Caleb takes over in 2025
Allow me to answer your question.

Caleb Serong will play his 80th AFL game this week vs the hawks. He will be 23 years old in february next season. So round 1 in 2024, He will play his 81st game and be in his 5th season.

Alex Pearce played 84 games between 2015-22 before he was our captain.

Usually, when a guy is appointed captain, they are usually in their prime years. Aged 25-27 with 100-150 games under the belt and becomes captain for 4-6 years.

Then again, there has been some young and inexperienced captains that worked out ok.

Wayne Carey played 60 games from 1989-1992 before he was Norths captain from 1993-2001.

John Worsfold was only 22 years old and 180 days and on his 76th AFL game when he was captain of the eagles in round 1 of 1991. So he played 75 games from 1987-1990 before he was captain.

Paul Kelly at the swans played 52 games from 1990-92 before he was captain in 1993. His debut game, he was 20 years old and 246 days.

He was 23 years old and 250 days in round 2 of 1993 when he was captain in his 53rd AFL game. He was swans captain from 1993-2001.

Not just what you see on-field. Words are important. Over-all conduct is important. Consistency is important.
Does the team come out fired up?
Are young players developing?
Are problems identified and recified?
Are you a 'destination club'?
Are standards high?
All these issues and more are all impacted by the quality of leadership and are assessable in part by observers.
Different sport but this is a good clip of one of the best captains ever seen in a team sport. Literally dragged the performance level of every player at Man United to a sufficiently high level where an already top class collection of players won probably double the amount of PL titles they should have between about 1994 and 2005, through sheer force of Will and leadership.

When people say it doesn’t matter who the captain is, i find that so frustrating. The issue I have with Pearce is he’s not a good enough player to be captain. Prett sure Cobbler said it on here too. He’s not in the top 10 players at the club. That means when his form dips during the season, as it invariably does to most mid ranking players on any AFL team at times, his place suddenly comes under question in the team.
Most teams in the AFL have a top 5 or 6 player as captain and their spot on the team is without question when fit. Moore at Collingwood. Gawn at Melbourne. Neale/Andrews at Brissy. Cripps at Carlton. Port Adelaide are probably the only exception that are similar to ourselves with Jonas not currently in the side and retiring this year.
At times this year there has been a genuine argument that Hamling should be selected ahead of Pearce on form.

Another negative that wakojako highlighted here last week is that he apparently doesn’t train fully during the weeks with the club (as per JL recently) due to managing injury? This is another problem, The captain should be setting standards at training each week for all the players, especially a young list like freo. How is Pearce meant to do that when he is not in full training for most of the season?
It’s not his fault but it’s also not ideal.
Serong or Brayshaw would be great, my preference is Serong and just like Joel Selwood became captain at 23, Caleb should be next season. For the next decade.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back