Leppa sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think it is better to say "We've been looking for a new coach behind Leppas back"?

Be real, they have been looking.

Give the members some real news, not just the head coach is being removed and nothing else changes.

This s**t is why membership is going down and we are a joke in the industry.

That decision had to be made and quickly interesting to see other decisions will be made regarding players and coaching staff.I thought Sharpless comment on broad majority of players had supported Leppitch strange. Players not getting a game were the ones not supporting him,well they had every chance to put their hands up for top22 position if this is the case.Not so sure it is.

Reading into the comments too much. Was simply making the point that any coach would have a few players that wouldn't support them if they aren't getting a game. He didn't specifically say players on our list not getting a game didn't support him. It was a generalisation. Overall, he had the players and his sacking wasn't driven by the playing group wanting him gone. That is essentially what the question that was asked was trying to find out.

That press conference was hard to watch. Sharpless looked like a deer in headlights. They made the decision to remove Leppa which i agree with but after that press conference i have no idea how many on the board agreed with the call and the way the players were informed via email seems poor.

if they did this 5-6 weeks ago when they should off, then the players would of been at the club on Monday
Now they left it to the last game the players have the day off.. Hence Mad Monday.
It would of leaked by the time the called everyone in.

Board to all step aside now. Have cost us a Coaches salary by signing Leppa for another year at the start of this season. Which equates to another several hundred thousand we don't have!!
Also have no idea what they are residing over when they expected far more than our list was ever capable of this year, injuries aside and added another year to his contract.
i would say the payout $$$$ would have been worked out with the AFL in the meeting, the AFL will fund the payout and the extra spend on the football department.

To be honest - not sure what the issue is with sending out an email, players would be off doing their Mad Monday things/going home etc and to gather all of them into a room at the Gabba before word got out to them through unofficial means would be almost impossible. Better to get on the front foot there, can't go phoning 40 odd people either.

I actually didn't see anything wrong with that press conference. The fact of the matter, covering Leppa's achievements and the process, how the decision was arrived at and why, all covered off. Not sure what was expected TBH. Handled as well as could be expected.
Whether truthful or not, it had to be perceived as a tough decision, and one made this morning. As Swan said, it's a bit hard to get 42 players and staff in, to make an announcement without anything being leaked and with the media hanging around the doors salivating. Everyone knew what was on the cards, so it was just a matter of letting them all know that the decision had been made.
As for contingencies, why the hell would you say you've made plans when you supposedly just made a decision an hour ago. Now THAT would be disrespectful.
The decision has been formalised, the players informed and the presser was fine and enough answered. Pretty dumb questions being asked, like "Will rockliff remain Captain"? I mean, today is not about that. The board meeting wasn't about that. Stupid questions, and people are actually critical they weren't all responded to with positive, definitive answers and strategy statements? Tough crowd.

I'm very happy that the club hasn't been lining up other coaches yet, not sure why people are annoyed at this. The decision should have been solely on whether we wanted Leppa going forward. Not if there is a better prospect right now we can grab. Do people not remember what happened with Voss at all?? Leppa decision and a new coach needed to be 2 seperate decisions.

Swann also made the point with protocols being in place with some teams still playing finals that they are limited in to who they can talk to. Comes across as a better done and well measured decision based on Leppa's own performance, rather than a frantic rush to get the coach out the door because we want this other bloke.

No surprise really. No one can expect Leppa to kid his job. Yes we are a young team but seasoned players under him have either stalled or gone backwards under him. It is clear to me he wasn't the man to develop our kids. Imagine giving him a few more years because "we are young and will get better..." card, and the youth end up going nowhere or backwards like the Richs & Hanleys etc.. Keays is a classic example, under another coach he would be much more developed over the year then what he is. He is a lost & hesitant footballer already imo. Thanks for the effort leppa but it wasn't meant to be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got no major issue with Sharpless. He said what needed to be said and explained the decision with relative sensitivity and clarity. He was nervous and uncomfortable, and that is a good thing too, the board just decided to fire a young Lion coach, who is a legend of the club, and who was also invested and passionate about the club. I really don't understand what people expect.
Totally agree.

Didn't say anything stupid. He respected Leppa and explained that although Leppa had achieved some good things the way we lost this year was unexpected and not acceptable. He didn't put his foot in it like our last President. He has zero charisma, but I didn't mind what he said at all.

I was actually less impressed with Greg Swann. He came across poorly prepared. I also didn't like him deferring the question about being better off after 3 years.

Shocked to hear the players learnt about this sacking the same way I did as an outside supporter.

Surely they could have had the group in together ready for a debrief regardless of the decision.... Again that falls on Greg.

I actually didn't see anything wrong with that press conference. The fact of the matter, covering Leppa's achievements and the process, how the decision was arrived at and why, all covered off. Not sure what was expected TBH. Handled as well as could be expected.
Whether truthful or not, it had to be perceived as a tough decision, and one made this morning. As Swan said, it's a bit hard to get 42 players and staff in, to make an announcement without anything being leaked and with the media hanging around the doors salivating. Everyone knew what was on the cards, so it was just a matter of letting them all know that the decision had been made.
As for contingencies, why the hell would you say you've made plans when you supposedly just made a decision an hour ago. Now THAT would be disrespectful.
The decision has been formalised, the players informed and the presser was fine and enough answered. Pretty dumb questions being asked, like "Will rockliff remain Captain"? I mean, today is not about that. The board meeting wasn't about that. Stupid questions, and people are actually critical they weren't all responded to with positive, definitive answers and strategy statements? Tough crowd.

Sharpless.

Surely they could have had the group in together ready for a debrief regardless of the decision.... Again that falls on Greg.
Valid point - I guess either Leppa staying or going would have both been important announcements to make to the group as a whole and it was always going to be one or the other

(Still not against the email though)

Give the members some real news, not just the head coach is being removed and nothing else changes.

This s**t is why membership is going down and we are a joke in the industry.
But that's not what was said. Swan said there are things to be looked at, including a head of football and the captaincy. The announcement was the one everyone was waiting on, the decision on Leppitsch, not a detailed strategy on all aspects of the club.
You're just being greedy.

Greg Swann was a rubbish, disconnected CEO at Carlton and it seems like nothing has changed. Lazy operator who's in it only for the pay cheque.

Congrats on your general lack of awareness about his time in Brisbane. :thumbsu:

:rolleyes:

Sharpless wasn't great to watch at all. Using the 2013 season wins as justification was ridiculous.

What time does mad Monday start though? Would any of the players be sober/they're probably all off at a pre-booked venue. Decision was only made ~12pm according to the presser.

I did like the journo's question that started with "Greg, as the one who knows about footy..."

Didn't hear enough of it to know who it was that asked the question, but it was a very intentional move to get Swann on the mic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back