Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realise that the China deal is revenue positive and that we have employed extra people to work on the China initiative. The China initiative is not affecting our on field performance nor our ability to bid for a women's AFL team license.

I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Was just looking at our list...

I'm really excited to see what young Aidyn Johnson can do after another preseason. Has some serious wheels.

Serious wheels? All the better to tear from the bone my dear.

Was just looking at our list...

I'm really excited to see what young Aidyn Johnson can do after another preseason. Has some serious wheels.
Good awareness and footy IQ, too.

Really hope we can improve his conditioning and he can get his body right for senior footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm conflicted on Choco. On the one hand I feel pretty iffy about bringing him - and particularly his personality back to Port. However he does have experience at 2 other AFL clubs and I think we really need to add senior experience from guys who have had experience at at least 2 other AFL clubs to really give us perspective as to where we are at.

Development coach maybe.
If Hart hadn't had to be shifted sideways due to his contract, Choco might have done ok with the Academies. Development role, but without being near the AFL players / system. As it is, there's no role at the club I'd want him near.

I love Choco, I really do. I can't explain why but he's just a Port son and he's genuinely never spoken out against the club since leaving and every time he came back to AO he would engage with the Port faithful. Remember how he was genuinely happy for us after we beat Richmond in the EF?

Choco is a Port man, we won a premiership under him. He may never hold a post at the club again but it's clear we hold his heart forever.

There is no doubt that all our players who played under him still have a lot of affection and respect for him as well. I noticed in the players' speeches at the B&F the other night that he was still mentioned regularly.

I think in some ways the very qualities that we all loved about him, his quirkiness and unpredictability, are also some of the things that make us wary of having him back in the coaches box.

I love Choco, I really do. I can't explain why but he's just a Port son and he's genuinely never spoken out against the club since leaving and every time he came back to AO he would engage with the Port faithful. Remember how he was genuinely happy for us after we beat Richmond in the EF?

Choco is a Port man, we won a premiership under him. He may never hold a post at the club again but it's clear we hold his heart forever.
Absolutely agree. The Chocco hate on this board is extraordinary. He's a premiership coach FFS.

Prior to the game against Richmond this year he was walking around pregame and got a big applause from myself and other members in the Western Stand, he turned and waved to everyone with that classic Choco smile.

He still clearly loves the club and apart from a few rough moments in our clubs history majority of the supporters appreciate most of the positive things he achieved with us.

Last edited:

That's lovely for you but he still must not come back. We need to look forward.
I will never forgive him for his wage/long contract fiasco and the 2007 GF. Among other things. I don't wish him ill but I don't want him near my club again. He has a very long opportunity with us and left us devastated on our knees when he sailed off to new and well paid opportunities. No he IS DONE at Port Adelaide.

....... The Chocco hate on this board is extraordinary. He's a premiership coach FFS.
Who on this board has posted that they hate Choco?

I don't hate Choco and I hold the board at the time (2009) responsible for not having the intestinal fortitude to tell Choco he would not get a contract extension when he had that ridiculous clause in his contract that he had to be told by June 30 if his contract was to be extended. They gave him a 2 year extension and then sacked him 12 months later. Their main reason for keeping Choco on was that he's a premiership coach and the son of a club legend.

The 2007 GF fiasco showed he was pretty much cooked as a senior coach. If he had left at the end, or middle, of 2009 my feelings towards him may have been different but he stayed on while the club spiraled downwards. I wonder if the people complaining about Ken Hinckley being stubborn are the same people wanting Choco back.

He will always be our first AFL premiership coach but we need to move on.

There is no doubt that all our players who played under him still have a lot of affection and respect for him as well. I noticed in the players' speeches at the B&F the other night that he was still mentioned regularly.

I think in some ways the very qualities that we all loved about him, his quirkiness and unpredictability, are also some of the things that make us wary of having him back in the coaches box.

Choco seems to be a really well liked guy with some type of magnetism that attracts people to him. And he's a bit like a drug - once people get a dose of him, they seem to want more and more.

But a likable guy doesn't make a good coach or development coach or whatever else. His track record since GF day 2004 is frankly abysmal.

Who on this board has posted that they hate Choco?

I don't hate Choco and I hold the board at the time (2009) responsible for not having the intestinal fortitude to tell Choco he would not get a contract extension when he had that ridiculous clause in his contract that he had to be told by June 30 if his contract was to be extended. They gave him a 2 year extension and then sacked him 12 months later. Their main reason for keeping Choco on was that he's a premiership coach and the son of a club legend.

The 2007 GF fiasco showed he was pretty much cooked as a senior coach. If he had left at the end, or middle, of 2009 my feelings towards him may have been different but he stayed on while the club spiraled downwards. I wonder if the people complaining about Ken Hinckley being stubborn are the same people wanting Choco back.

He will always be our first AFL premiership coach but we need to move on.
I mean "hate" in the colloquial sense meaning negativity, not the literal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back