Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys do realize that if Impey plays every game next season, there's no place for O'Shea in the 22?

Hombsch - Carlile - Impey

Pittard - Trengove - Broadbent

Jonas

That's seven defenders. Understand the O'Shea love, and I wanna keep him,but I don't see where he fits. He's the perfect player to bring in if any of those guys get injured though, so I wouldn't be trading him at all.

For mine he is ahead of Impey by a long way at the momnet. And can play small as well as Jonas.
Id be suprised if Impey sees as many games as he did this year. If Oshea stays in the form he was in....
Plus i can see Oshea or Pittard playing up the ground abit also.
With the way Oshea reads the ball id have tried him up forward for a bit when we sent Trengove forward

You guys do realize that if Impey plays every game next season, there's no place for O'Shea in the 22?

Jonas

That's seven defenders. Understand the O'Shea love, and I wanna keep him,but I don't see where he fits. He's the perfect player to bring in if any of those guys get injured though, so I wouldn't be trading him at all.
Hasn't really been tried yet, but Impey had a lot of his pre-draft highlights forward. He could be used as a stand-in or later a permanent replacement for a small player in defence or forward. He scored 3.2 in total last year and remember his nomination for GOTY.

Jonas

And there's Clurey. Use it or lose it.

Clurey is not competing with O'Shea.

Players get injured.

Hasn't really been tried yet, but Impey had a lot of his pre-draft highlights forward. He could be used as a stand-in or later a permanent replacement for a small player in defence or forward. He scored 3.2 in total last year and remember his nomination for GOTY.

That's the thing though. Impey can push forward. Broadbent can push forward. Pittard can push forward. It's why O'Shea wasn't in the 22 at the start of the season. You need versatility in Kerns team - he's always commending players for "joining in" i.e. getting involved in the play. Can O'Shea do that? If he does, he'll push Broadbent back into the midfield and a guy like Young or Moore will be on the outer.

We're hopeful of getting Ryder. The team dynamic changes, and you're not going to improve by keeping a small lockdown defender like Impey - who will be perfect against guys like Rioli - out of the team.

Time to take emotion out of it. We're here to win premierships.

That's the thing though. Impey can push forward. Broadbent can push forward. Pittard can push forward. It's why O'Shea wasn't in the 22 at the start of the season. You need versatility in Kerns team - he's always commending players for "joining in" i.e. getting involved in the play. Can O'Shea do that? If he does, he'll push Broadbent back into the midfield and a guy like Young or Moore will be on the outer.

We're hopeful of getting Ryder. The team dynamic changes, and you're not going to improve by keeping a small lockdown defender like Impey - who will be perfect against guys like Rioli - out of the team.

Time to take emotion out of it. We're here to win premierships.

Impey needs to get A LOT tidier by foot for me.

The intent is there. He is brave enough to go for the dangerous, flashy pass but a lot of the time he ends up turning it over. He needs to have a big pre-season working on his kicking before he is a walk up start.

O'Shea added the small forward defender to his bow in the finals series with impressive games on Walters and Bruest. He is a good kick and a strong grab as well.

I still think O'Shea is ahead of Impey for now.

Impey was 18 years old for nearly all of his games last year. Comparing his kicking under pressure with players who have been in the system for a few years is not comparing apples with peanuts. :)

O'Shea is worth far more than pick 22 to us. I wouldn't even do a straight swap for Ryder.

Oh dear. This is like a reverse Wines for Ryder demand. I like O'Shea, but if a straight swap for Ryder is on offer I'd drive him to Melbourne myself.

Oh dear. This is like a reverse Wines for Ryder demand. I like O'Shea, but if a straight swap for Ryder is on offer I'd drive him to Melbourne myself.
Not for me. Our running backs are the key to our success, we need them there. We need another tall of course but not at the cost of the back attack.

Just chiming into the running back debate Pittard isn't much better forward of centre than O'Shea is, for all the running shots on goal he has he's only kicked one more career goal than Cam has & they're both thereabouts for rebound inside 50's.

I rate Jasper & O'Shea on the same level neither are as good as Broadbent yet but will get their with experience & both have their good/bad games that are becoming more than good than bad, we don't trade Cam just because we've got 2-3 other best 22 standard running defenders.

Personally I see O'Shea as Kornes potential successor as a tagger/accumulator once Kornes gets to 300 games & decides he's had enough, we'll then be able to fit Cam, Jasper & one of Impey/Colquhoun in the same side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clurey is not competing with O'Shea.

Players get injured.
Irrespective of injuries, O'Shea formed an important part of a backline that featured Trengove, Carlile, Hombsch, Jonas and himself without looking slow against three very different opposition sides in the finals.

Those medium-big defenders are extremely valuable if they can run, and O'Shea certainly can do that. He is a good reader of the play and interceptor and an improving link man and distributor.

I rate him every bit as important to our defence as Broadbent and Pittard. We want to have depth in all positions, so let them fight it out with Impey and Colquhoun for who gets spots in our best 22. I'm very confident that Cam will continue to improve - he is a finals proven performer already. Must keep.

We can get both Ryder and Gorringe to the club without losing him, Young or Moore if we play our cards right with the Ryder situation.

Impey was 18 years old for nearly all of his games last year. Comparing his kicking under pressure with players who have been in the system for a few years is not comparing apples with peanuts. :)

Hence, why I am saying that at the moment, I would play the apple in the 1s and let the peanut develop in the 2s ;) (pleeeeease note: I love Impey and I have only referred to him as a peanut for purpose of the analogy :( )

Jonas

Both Impey and O'Shea are reasonably versatile so I can still see them playing together. If Monfries gets ASADA'd, I could see Impey playing the defensive forward to play on one of the opponents running backs + both are clearly quick enough to play bursts in the midfield if required. In a lot of ways I would like to see O'Shea move from time to time into the midfield anyway as he has the bigger body that we could use.

IMO get Lowden first, so we have ruck insurance in case both of the more difficult ruck trades fail. If we were talking about trading Cam to the Saints (or to anywhere bar Essenjection) for a pick that would absolutely, definitively get the Ryder trade done, I'd consider it. But not for Gorringe. On its own, that's just moving our potential 'depth' issue from ruck to defence.
*** albeit a development ruck/forward with significant potential upside, not just a one dimensional 'break glass in case of emergency' prospect
Cam O'Shea resigned this year for two more years so unconsider it hahaha

Jonas

No love for Broadie by the coaching panel as they gave him no votes for the 3 finals game.

Our back 6 will not play 22 games each. There will be injuries both preseason and normal season, form slumps and match ups. O'Shea played all 3 finals. That says a fair bit what the coaches think.

No love for Broadie by the coaching panel as they gave him no votes for the 3 finals game.

Our back 6 will not play 22 games each. There will be injuries both preseason and normal season, form slumps and match ups. O'Shea played all 3 finals. That says a fair bit what the coaches think.

Broadbent obviously had a particular job that he wasn't doing not to get any votes at all. Ironically, probably because O'Shea was there to help out.

And you're right, that's why I wanna keep O'Shea. You don't get what he brings to the table from other players, and he'll keep the pressure on. I'm just saying that all things being equal, Impey and O'Shea will probably switch out through the year depending on matchups. North Melbourne? O'Shea plays because of their taller, less mobile setup. Fremantle? In comes Impey to deal with Ballantyne.

O'Shea isn't permitted in the midfield due to equalisation.

Port v Hawthorn Rd 10 on Fox now....
I have recorded the Freo and Hawks games. Thought I had recorded the first Showdown but when I went to watch it noticed I had a GWS/Melbourne game.

"Missed it by that much".

Oh well it will be on a few more times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back