Multiplat Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Remove this Banner Ad

One episode down, and I feel it's made a really strong start.

Overall it has this "same but different" feel going on which makes things so much easier to fall back into. In a way, now controlling Chloe still has that Max-like feel to it. Just a bit more angsty. But I think it still works well.

The music is still on point yet again, a great mix of catchy and breezy tunes.

While there's so far not really the same key hook to the gameplay the new additions are fun to work out as well and still play in with the theme as spot on to controlling someone like Chloe would.

There were some really nice throwback(/forward?) moments as well including one that resolves a key phrase from the original.

I'm right back in on this Life is Strange tale and I am very happy with the results! Just hope there's not too much of a wait until the next ep.

My choices:
MAIN CHOICES
I ran.
I was kind to Joyce.
I defended Nathan.
I told Rachel we are more than friends.

SECONDARY CHOICES
I took the money.
Purchased pot.
Read Joyce's book.
Put the photo on the dresser.
Didn't slip money into Joyce's purse.
Told Eliot I would go to the play.
Told skip I liked his demo.
Finished the table top game.
Sabotaged Victoria's homework.
Told Rachel I believe in love.
Shared earbuds with Rachel.
Jumped out of the train.

One episode down, and I feel it's made a really strong start.

Overall it has this "same but different" feel going on which makes things so much easier to fall back into. In a way, now controlling Chloe still has that Max-like feel to it. Just a bit more angsty. But I think it still works well.

The music is still on point yet again, a great mix of catchy and breezy tunes.

While there's so far not really the same key hook to the gameplay the new additions are fun to work out as well and still play in with the theme as spot on to controlling someone like Chloe would.

There were some really nice throwback(/forward?) moments as well including one that resolves a key phrase from the original.

I'm right back in on this Life is Strange tale and I am very happy with the results! Just hope there's not too much of a wait until the next ep.

My choices:
MAIN CHOICES
I ran.
I was kind to Joyce.
I defended Nathan.
I told Rachel we are more than friends.

SECONDARY CHOICES
I took the money.
Purchased pot.
Read Joyce's book.
Put the photo on the dresser.
Didn't slip money into Joyce's purse.
Told Eliot I would go to the play.
Told skip I liked his demo.
Finished the table top game.
Sabotaged Victoria's homework.
Told Rachel I believe in love.
Shared earbuds with Rachel.
Jumped out of the train.

How did Rachel react when you told her "we are more than friends" ?

How did Rachel react when you told her "we are more than friends" ?
First up there wasn't much of a reaction, but in the later scene she acknowledged how big of a thing it was for Chloe to say and recognise that (basically hinting herself that she felt the same).

So I am assuming there is no time rewind in this...How is it not just a walking/school simulator?
There’s a new sort of mechanic, but admittedly it’s nowhere near as good.

Nothing wrong with a walking simulator if that’s what people are into. Sometimes it’s nice to just get engrossed in an interactive story.

Nothing wrong with a walking simulator if that’s what people are into. Sometimes it’s nice to just get engrossed in an interactive story.
Oh I agree completely, just trying to work out if thats all this is.

Just got done.

Brilliant stuff. Its got me hooked like the first one. Feels more immersive and less like a game, less direction so don't know where its going which I like. The feels and scenery are still there. Seems to be more polished to me.

Playing as Chloe is even better IMO. But you can't rewind time and the choices are quite black and white so you should consider before choosing. The tabletop game was fun, lost 15 mins on nothing. That's how this game is whereas the other felt more objective based.

Different team apparently but no concessions on character writing and progression. The new character Rachel has a great dynamic with Chloe and it was fun. Some great moments and ending gave me chills.

So when's Episode 2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CONTAINS ORIGINAL LIS SPOILERS!!

Wasn't really a fan of Chloe in the first one and making the final decision was an easy one for me. I did like the insight you get in this one, you get a good feel for what she went through/is going through. Reckon the final decision would be harder if you played this first. In fact, I reckon you could slot this one in after Episode 3 of LIS 1, then Prequel, then Eps 4 and 5. Or maybe after the Chloe alternate reality. Would make it interesting.

"I want to punch him right in the dick!"
"Right in the dick?"
"RIGHT. IN. THE DICK!"

I pissed myself laughing at that!

Choices:
I ran
I was mean to Joyce
I defended Nathan
I told Rachel we are more than friends

I took the money
Purchased pot
Read Joyce's book
Put the photo on the dresser
Didn't slip money into Joyce's purse
Told Eliot I would go to the play
Told skip I liked his demo
Finished the table top game
Sabotaged Victoria's homework
Told Rachel I didn't believe in love
Shared earbuds with Rachel
Jumped out of the train

I'm surprised more people haven't played this yet, or at least posted their choices and thoughts and feelings, given how popular the first one was. Or is everyone waiting for all episodes to be released first so they can binge it?
I'd wager the latter, I'm definitely in that camp and I know a few others are for sure.

I can't imagine waiting a month between episode 4 & 5 in season 1, for example...I much prefer playing them close together.

I'm surprised more people haven't played this yet, or at least posted their choices and thoughts and feelings, given how popular the first one was. Or is everyone waiting for all episodes to be released first so they can binge it?
I did episode one but it didn't really suck me in yet like the original did, so didn't feel the need to comment. I'm sure that'll change with the final two episodes though.

Don't read if you didn't play the original game. Couldn't wait for all eps to come out so tried the first episode of this prequel.

First text I got I opened up Chloe's texts and noticed her loneliness when Max was just continually ignoring her existence. Knew they didn't talk when Max left but that's just on plain awful levels. Dunno why Chloe even tried after Max came back to be honest.

After playing the original I couldn't help but be somewhat nicer to David and be a bitch towards Nathan Prescott as he was getting bullied by the jock & made Victoria fail her test lol.

Getting that damn quarter took me longer than finding that 5th bottle.The junkyard part of the level is quite sad. I pressed something more instead of friendship.

Chloe really does put on a tough front. I guess why part of why I like her character is because I can relate and do the same.

Miss the blue hair however the music is still good. The optional graffiti is a cool touch and replacement for the optional photos. Got all 11 trophies in 1 attempt of the ep too and finally hit 1000+ on PSN :)

Didn't really care for the play but enjoyed the rest of the episode, especially shutting down James at the end... well, before he dropped that bombshell. To be honest I was kind of expecting Rachel to blow up the candles with a scream like she did with the fire but nope, salad bowl smashy smashy.

It's also interesting to see that most of my decisions went against the majority (went along with Rachel's story, gave Damon the money, discouraged Victoria, attacked James) which is completely different to my experience with the first game.

Oh, and I'll never get tired of looking through people's computers and scribbling all over their belongings while they're standing right next to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back