Autopsy Liked, Learnt, Hated: Round 11, 2018 - Lever :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Some percentage for the Pies. A win against Freo isn't too much to brag about at the moment, but always nice to kick a big score.

Learned: Richmond are still the benchmark. Not a new lesson, but a reinforced lesson.

Hated: Rance's dive. Not so much that Rance did it, which is something that players do from time to time, but that the umpire fell for such a terrible piece of acting.

People wear ugg boots to the shops in daytime too, doesn't make it OK m8.
Actually the link he provided says learnt is the more common way of spelling it for non Americans. That's us.

And if you haven't worn ugg boots to the shops without giving a stuff about what people think then you haven't lived.

Or you are extremely delicate in peoples perception of you.. Make that extremely delicate in the perception of "strangers that you will never see again and couldn't give 2 shits about you" perception of you.

#defendtheugg

Dunno why Rod's lukewarm on Simpkin, kid is an absolute jet, averaging 18 touches and a goal, cracking in for 5.5 tackles a game.

Love him. That sidestep too.

He’s a weapon. His lateral movement and vision in traffic is exceptional. Very exciting.

Just a fan. He struck me as a longer term project than the likes of Florent, McGrath, Taranto and SPS, but he looks worth it.
Admittedly, we are probably overstocked with his type though.

4th highest ranked player at North over the last month according to CD.

Kicked goals in all of the last 7 rounds.

He's starting to become extremely consistent.

Liked - Kicking straight, makes a difference when you kick more goals than points, if Membrey kicked 6.0 instead of 1.5 we probably would've beaten Freo.

Learnt - West Coast look a lot more beatable with Darling out of the team, they'll be hoping his ankle injury is only a minor one.

Hated - The Perth hometown umpiring, it was even worse than usual, hard enough to beat WC in Perth without the umpires giving them an armchair ride.

Hated: Umpiring in the North v Brisbane game. Didn't effect result but was inconsistent, tiggy touchwood stuff that visibly annoyed the players and took away from the actual game.

The umpiring was like that for every game I watched on the weekend, just about every contest the umpires try to pluck out a free kick even if it isn't there.

Liked: Karma. Adelaide flogs celebrate an ACL injury, so they lose a match they were massive favourites for and it bumps them from the 8 and their town rivals take their spot.
Also, percentage booster away from home especially since top 4 and top 8 is going to be a tight one this year.
Learnt: Umpires are over officiating the games and its getting to the point where they are shaping contests far far too much now.
Hated: ACLs, too many unneeded 50m penalties, only 2 genuinely exciting matches to watch this round.

Liked: Rampe's little comment to the ump. Classic.

Learnt: Richmond the team to beat still. Stifling pressure.

Hated: Diving. Sinclair was probably BOG and didn't need to do it and Rance is a much better player and definitely doesn't need to do it.

Liked: Karma. Adelaide flogs celebrate an ACL injury, so they lose a match they were massive favourites for and it bumps them from the 8 and their town rivals take their spot.
Also, percentage booster away from home especially since top 4 and top 8 is going to be a tight one this year.
Learnt: Umpires are over officiating the games and its getting to the point where they are shaping contests far far too much now.
Hated: ACLs, too many unneeded 50m penalties, only 2 genuinely exciting matches to watch this round.
Underrated post

Liked: Dees roll on, massive QB coming up
Learned: Giants can still get there
Hated: Rance staging , again, and media talks it down. Anyone else and they'd string them up

Wayne Carey said his reputation will suffer from it and he needs to cut the crap.
Kane Cornes said it was as poor as he’s seen.
Garry and Tim were into him heavily this morning on SEN as was Whately.
And Cam Mooney said it was the most disgusting thing he’s seen.

Not to mention the countless articles about it. It definitely hasn’t been talked down with all those comments. Not sure where you came up with that. And all warranted bar Mooney’s.

Liked: Ladder tightened up in the middle. Tigers got some of their form back

Learnt: There's a lot to go this season. Some teams, e.g. GWS, can come back really hard this year.

Hated: Serious injuries to really good players, and good players diving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked - Kicking straight, makes a difference when you kick more goals than points, if Membrey kicked 6.0 instead of 1.5 we probably would've beaten Freo.

Learnt - West Coast look a lot more beatable with Darling out of the team, they'll be hoping his ankle injury is only a minor one.

Hated - The Perth hometown umpiring, it was even worse than usual, hard enough to beat WC in Perth without the umpires giving them an armchair ride.

The umpiring was like that for every game I watched on the weekend, just about every contest the umpires try to pluck out a free kick even if it isn't there.
Agreed we are not as potent without Darling takes all the pressure of others and teams cannot triple team Kennedy, hoping its 3 to 4 weeks at worst

Agreed we are not as potent without Darling takes all the pressure of others and teams cannot triple team Kennedy, hoping its 3 to 4 weeks at worst
About 6 years ago I thought darling was the better player over Kennedy. I didn't think Kennedys kicking action would hold up over the years. He has proven me wrong while darling has not lived up to expectations. Until now.

Kennedy is close to if not 31 now I think? While darling is only 25? If darling can do what he has done this yr for another 5 to 7 years.. He may just prove me right and end up being the better of the 2.

Guess my point is Darling is a Very important player when playing well. But when he's not, he's useless. Up to the eagles to get the best out of him I guess.

About 6 years ago I thought darling was the better player over Kennedy. I didn't think Kennedys kicking action would hold up over the years. He has proven me wrong while darling has not lived up to expectations. Until now.

Kennedy is close to if not 31 now I think? While darling is only 25? If darling can do what he has done this yr for another 5 to 7 years.. He may just prove me right and end up being the better of the 2.

Guess my point is Darling is a Very important player when playing well. But when he's not, he's useless. Up to the eagles to get the best out of him I guess.
Its all clicked for Darling and you find that Waterman, Oscar Allen and Brander will also come in

Liked: JK kicking a bag, winning despite playing below our best
Learnt: St Kilda are now officially in a dark place as the entire board is lit up with whinging about how the umpires cost them the game. When your supporters start blaming others for losing you know the rot has well and truly set in.
Hated: Darling injury.

Its all clicked for Darling and you find that Waterman, Oscar Allen and Brander will also come in
I rate waterman very highly. Big body, young, confident, handles pressure well. Another player for opposition to worry about. And if you let him do his thing, focusing to heavily on Kennedy and darling waterman will kick his 2 or 3 and is only going to get better. He' oonly 19 isn't he?

Also to compare Kennedy and darling is not so crazy.. Kennedy 31 and darling 25 almost 26, and Kennedys kicked 550 or so compared to darling 300 and he's 5 or 6 years younger .

Comoarison

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...ayerStatus2=A&tid2=19&pid2=1610&fid2=C&type=T

If darling were to kick 45 goals a yr for 5 yrs after Kennedy retired he catches him. And darling hasn't
reached his peak or at least hasn't performed consistently at his best to this point.

Liked: Glimpses of the manic move the ball forward clean hands in the phone box type pressure game - the early season form, bring that for 4 qtrs at the business end and we may contend.

The debutantes in Ahern and Mihocek, great 1st up games especially ahern.

Learnt: The saints ain't that bad, clearance work was very good against a rated transition team - hang in there saints fans and unexpected win is just around the corner.

North can't be underestimated, make no mistake they're a genuine smoky.

Hated: Taking the foot off the gas in the last qtr, could've had an 80+ point win but nup - see liked, contending form in glimpses only.

The Rance dive.

Liked: The boys getting up in Tassie!

Learnt: Burgoyne falling onto a Port players head earns a larger fine than Rance making the game look like a joke

Hated: Eddie McGuire's face
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 7.54.48 pm.png

Attachments

• 26e411c2ec0b89f4273b100e6ce126cc.jpg
    26e411c2ec0b89f4273b100e6ce126cc.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 90
Liked: Melbourne and North continuing to do well. We're 10-1 despite the late scare/taking our foot off.

Hated: Darling injury, we were a little too complacent in that last quarter.

Learnt: Not too much, but Melbourne and North look that little bit more promising.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back