Analysis Lin Jong 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a poor game but wasn't the only one. Didn't get enough of it, but didn't have poor disposals. Was better than a bloke like McLean, who had a very poor night.

Lots of tackles which is great considering they were getting first hands on the ball.
You can't in one breath say we need to play a ruckman because we got beat in the ruck and then in the next breath say his tackles mean nothing because he was second to the ball.

He offers versatility that just about no one else, Bont aside, can give us.

Think he's 60-40 to hold his spot.

Had a poor game but wasn't the only one. Didn't get enough of it, but didn't have poor disposals. Was better than a bloke like McLean, who had a very poor night.

Lots of tackles which is great considering they were getting first hands on the ball.
You can't in one breath say we need to play a ruckman because we got beat in the ruck and then in the next breath say his tackles mean nothing because he was second to the ball.

He offers versatility that just about no one else, Bont aside, can give us.

Think he's 60-40 to hold his spot.

Why the comparison to McLean? Isn't Jong meant to be a ball winning inside mid? Isn't that where we were smashed?

Sure McLean wasn't great but his role wasn't to win inside.

Going on Bevs comment about inside /outside balance and concern about contested ball. McLean and Jong might be in the gun, maybe for Dunkley and Smith.

Sydney will carve us up if we serve up that next week.

Guess we will see.

No, I don't.

E.g. McLean doesn't have more runs on the board and people aren't ripping him for his 13 disposals.

See above. And I cut a guy in his third season way more slack than more experienced types like Jong.

Not a great game but 14 tackles might keep him in.

Jong is a confidence player who has always taken time to adjust to the speed of the game. He's previously needed 3-4 games to hit his straps.

Not a great game but 14 tackles might keep him in.

Jong is a confidence player who has always taken time to adjust to the speed of the game. He's previously needed 3-4 games to hit his straps.

Not a great trait in a depth player who is often injured and in and out of the team.

All I see is "McLean wasn't great but I don't have a bee in my bonnet about him so meh".

I also see potential in McLean.

I obviously don't in Jong - unless you count the potential to f&ck things up.

Why the comparison to McLean? Isn't Jong meant to be a ball winning inside mid? Isn't that where we were smashed?

Sure McLean wasn't great but his role wasn't to win inside.

Going on Bevs comment about inside /outside balance and concern about contested ball. McLean and Jong might be in the gun, maybe for Dunkley and Smith.

Guess we will see.
Flexibility and team balance that's why. Jong isn't a one role player. McLean is in more trouble than Jong on that performance because of the extra roles Jong can play.

The one thing McLean has for him is a good preseason ans he deserves a chance.

Flexibility and team balance that's why. Jong isn't a one role player. McLean is in more trouble than Jong on that performance because of the extra roles Jong can play.

The one thing McLean has for him is a good preseason ans he deserves a chance.

Fair enough. I can grasp that concept. One of our less contested players will miss for sure IMO for team balance. Might be McLean. Shame as I rate the kid.

I get why people are on the Jong train, obviously he is a quality mark of the ball and is super fast and big. But he just ain't best 22 and with a full squad he's not best 25. Smith and Dunkley should both be ahead of him. And by some margin.

Jong is and will always be a depth player.

Smith or Dunkley would have provided more than Jong last night, especially in winning the ball in the midfield where we were dominated.

Jong is ahead of the other mid/forwards but not the 2 he was picked in front of so his 11 possession game for an inside mid is hardly surprising.

I am sure there are posters who genuinely like Jong, but really to many seem to just want to fire up MD which ruins other threads

I don't always agree with BRWB but I do on this topic.

Watching the game last night there were too many times Jong was a spectator as he has not developed nor may never fully develop football instincts. Against very good midfielders from the opposition with those instincts he was exposed.

Does that means he never plays? Off course not. He is a good depth player when we have an injury run. Right now we don't have one in his position

Guess we will see.
I think we are not paying enough respect to the Collingwood midfield which I believe is rated the best in the league or at least top 2 or 3. It was also missing a couple of handy types, so could get better. They put as much heat on us as anyone could, Sydney included.

Pre season form of Dunks and Smith was not great, although I was suprised Smith was out. But I reckon Bev just won't play anyone if they are off a tad and it sends the message, perform or you could be out, even a premiership hero like Smith.

Be interesting to what changes he makes for next week, few boys stuck their hand up at Footscray which is very encouraging for competition for spots.

Spot on though, be a tough game next week, we will need to be better inside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't Jong meant to be a ball winning inside mid? Isn't that where we were smashed?.
All the mids were beaten really. The combined output of Treloar, Pendles, Adams and Side was 136 possessions and 5 goals. The ruck situation was probably more influential with all of our mids on low possession counts.

I think we are not paying enough respect to the Collingwood midfield which I believe is rated the best in the league or at least top 2 or 3. It was also missing a couple of handy types, so could get better. They put as much heat on us as anyone could, Sydney included.

Pre season form of Dunks and Smith was not great, although I was suprised Smith was out. But I reckon Bev just won't play anyone if they are off a tad and it sends the message, perform or you could be out, even a premiership hero like Smith.

Be interesting to what changes he makes for next week, few boys stuck their hand up at Footscray which is very encouraging for competition for spots.

Spot on though, be a tough game next week, we will need to be better inside.

Sydney have a fit Buddy. And maybe Reid. And Tippett who is a great H &A player. So much more dangerous up fwd than the Pies. I'm not sure breaking even in the mid will be enough. Losing out like we did to the Pies could be messy.

McLean is a player. Going to be quality, maybe not quite ready for consistent quality.

Daniel wasn't flash either much as it pains me to say it.

Hopefully Campbell comes in, maybe for an injured Morris. Dunkley and Smith for maybe McLean and Jong

I'm utterly "meh" about Jong. Doesn't fill me with any emotion one way or the other. I'm just glad neither Liam Jones nor Daisy Thomas are seagulling up our list instead of him :thumbsu::p

Sydney have a fit Buddy. And maybe Reid. And Tippett who is a great H &A player. So much more dangerous up fwd than the Pies. I'm not sure breaking even in the mid will be enough. Losing out like we did to the Pies could be messy.
That's not a Jong specific issue though is it? All the mids were down, which suggests either all were having a quieter day or an underlying cause, which is more likely to be the ruck issue. Jong didn't have a great game but you can't put the whole Collingwood midfield dominance on his shoulders.

That's not a Jong specific issue though is it? All the mids were down, which suggests either all were having a quieter day or an underlying cause, which is more likely to be the ruck issue. Jong didn't have a great game but you can't put the whole Collingwood midfield dominance on his shoulders.

Nor can we drop out entire midfield. Nor should we.

No the weakest link is often dropped in footy.

Of our inside mids, Lin Jong is the weakest link. It's not even that close.

Nor can we drop out entire midfield. Nor should we.

No the weakest link is often dropped in footy.

Of our inside mids, Lin Jong is the weakest link. It's not even that close.
I guess in a way I was asking if the ruck setup is the source of the issue and whether that's what needs to fixed rather than needing to drop any of the mids at this point - but if you did then agree it would have to be Jong as the worst performer. I posed above though whether Bev is trying to fill a role where Jong seems the only fit so he's not really under pressure from Smith Dunkley etc. If he is it will be interesting to see how long he persists with it. My guess is you might have to live with him for a little longer.

McLean is a player. Going to be quality, maybe not quite ready for consistent quality.

I think I would replace Daniel before McLean against the Swans.
Daniel struggled in the GF .
McLean was barely sighted last night , but he has some credits in the bank.
Jong will be under huge pressure to hold his spot after last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back