Universal Love Lions B&F (Live streamed)

Remove this Banner Ad

While it's good to see Mayes, Taylor, Andrews and Gardiner in the top 10, its still largely dominated by our more senior players (as you'd expect).

We've all (generally) been encouraged by the signs of some our younger players this season, but these results probably highlight that consistency is the next thing they need to add, and that'll probably be where our improvement can come from next year.

While it's good to see Mayes, Taylor, Andrews and Gardiner in the top 10, its still largely dominated by our more senior players (as you'd expect).

We've all (generally) been encouraged by the signs of some our younger players this season, but these results probably highlight that consistency is the next thing they need to add, and that'll probably be where our improvement can come from next year.

Worth noting that the top 10 all played at least 19 matches so the system provides some advantage for those who play the most games (not unreasonable, I'd have thought). The other players who played 19 or more games were Robertson and McStay, again slightly more experienced players.

I dunno if anyone has done the maths yet but votes per game is always interesting.

Worth noting that the top 10 all played at least 19 matches so the system provides some advantage for those who play the most games (not unreasonable, I'd have thought). The other players who played 19 or more games were Robertson and McStay, again slightly more experienced players.

I dunno if anyone has done the maths yet but votes per game is always interesting.
I realise that (re games), but getting regular games is generally another sign of consistent performances. Injuries excluded.

No disrespect to any of Rockliff, Rich, Mayes and Martin,but I thought Taylor and Andrews had more consistent years and should both have finished top 5 easily. Rocky had patches of good form,Rich had a good last third of the year and Martin had his moments,but to me Andrews was a rock and Taylor seemed to create a lot of attack.

They made it clear when explaining the points system how much of it pins on delivering the technical requirements of your role. We just don't have the information that the coaches have in regards to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They made it clear when explaining the points system how much of it pins on delivering the technical requirements of your role. We just don't have the information that the coaches have in regards to that.
Yeah I hear what you're saying (or read). I just like to think of it in a simpler way: If I looked back over the season,who were the best players and in what order. In which case I'd have had:

Zorko
Taylor
Andrews
Beams
Rockliff

and so on...

Yeah I hear what you're saying (or read). I just like to think of it in a simpler way: If I looked back over the season,who were the best players and in what order. In which case I'd have had:

Zorko
Taylor
Andrews
Beams
Rockliff

and so on...
Best at what? I think that's the point you're missing. The ones we notice, might not be doing their job/performing their role properly/as much as others.

Best at what? I think that's the point you're missing. The ones we notice, might not be doing their job/performing their role properly/as much as others.
If we're going to split hairs, I'll say "most consistent". I'm aware that certain indicators are used to tally points/votes, but if we're honest,does anyone really think Rockliff was the 3rd best player in our side this season and Taylor the 7th? I'm purely coming at it from a more simplistic angle that's all.

Anyway,doesn't matter now. The right and obvious won so.

Last edited:
If we're going to split hairs, I'll say "most consistent". I'm aware that certain indicators are used to tally points/votes, but if we're honest,does anyone really think Rockliff was the 3rd best player in our side this season and Taylor the 7th? I coming at it from a more simplistic angle that's all.
That's the thing. He obviously played his role more closely, and Taylor less so. It's about what they're asked to do, not just play their own game.
Think of it this way; If one element of a defender's role is that he's instructed to hit a short option from kick ins, but continually goes long, then he's not playing his role. As observers, we see his long kicks hitting a target and clearing D50 and think he's doing a great job. What we don't see is that part of the gameplan relies on his short passes to allow a more controlled/staged exit from D50 and creating time for team mates to safely move forward. It is how that player contributes to team, not just having effective disposals and gaining metres. He could be playing well, consistently, but could be hindering the gameplan and ability for others to play their role.
That's why they have a fan's player of the year, a player's player, and the best as voted by the coaches. Each have a different perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back