Lions hall of fame

Remove this Banner Ad

I was kind of hoping Aker might get the nod at first try but not really expecting it. For whatever he may be personally he was a fantastic player who also did a heap for footy in QLD so really hoping they don't lock him out forever.

Apparently he was to be an inductee on Wednesday but was overseas and asked for it to be delayed. Absolute lock for 2016.

Anyone catch Browny on SEN this morning? Couple of ripping stories about post-premiership celebrations with Vossy.

I have no issue at all with vossy being made a legend of the club ... my only comment would be that i would have thought there were others ahead of him ... roos & gary wilson just name two.

Last edited:

I have issue at all with vossy being made a legend of the club ... my only comment would be that i would have thought there were others ahead of him ... roos & gary wilson just name two.

In time, but I think you'll struggle finding a more fitting and deserved legend such as Voss or with a CV including a Brownlow, 3 x captain of a Premiership Side, B&F winner, 250+ game player, multiple All-Australian and it goes on.

IMO, Voss's status as a 'legend' of the Lions will also include that as a 'legend' of the AFL in years to come.

I have issue at all with vossy being made a legend of the club ... my only comment would be that i would have thought there were others ahead of him ... roos & gary wilson just name two.

I think that they're also rotating Brisbane/Melbourne may affect matters. Personally I'd nominate Voss anyway as Dylan mentions, but you'll probably see Fitzroy legends and hall of fame members nominated at Melbourne evenings and Brisbane at Brisbane evenings, especially since that's roughly what's happened so far.

Great to see Darrly White and Shaun Hart acknowledged. Players from different backgrounds who hung tough during some pretty ordinary times and were reward with great success. I have commented a number of times that Shaun Hart's performances across the 2001 final series were a key part in our first premiership win.
Amazing how close he came to being de-listed before that too. Great story.

Bernie next.

bernie-gabba.jpg

I think its impossible for us in our unique status as a merged club, to do it in "historical" order. Otherwise we'd be awaiting a long while for Vossy to get, or alternatively putting 50 or more in immediately.

Hence I have no issue with Vossy "going in" before someone like Roos per example.

I actually think it is important to elevate Voss now. He became a status of the merged side and a damn good reason to be following the merged side. Let's not forget his aura as a leader - the players were compelled to follow him, and so did we as supporters, no matter which side of the family you came from to follow the club. He was not a devisive character as a leader - all emcompassing and uniting, across the board. To me his elevation to legend status is as much about his leadership of the merged side into the early 2000's as it was about his incredible playing record, his 3 premierships medallions, his brownlow..... He lead the merged club, when a leader of his stature was required. We were extraordinarily lucky to have a leader of his stature at that time.

There were two players inducted on Wednesday who had no one to receive the awards from their family as the club was unable to find any connections.

Well Bill Walkers Great Great Grandson replied to one of the tweets saying how it was great that his Great Great Grandfather was inducted.

Social media working it's magic!!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blackpowerlappin went, I'm sure he'll be happy to share some insight and photos. Probably still recovering.

Edit - he said he would share stuff later on. Still suffering a bout of hungover.

Ripping night- I'll write something up in the next day or so. Standing ovations for the great Arthur Wilson, the great Simon Black and the great Gary Wilson!!!

Aker also was very reflective and very appreciative of all at the Lions. Brownie had a lounge chair chat with all the inductees and all spoke very well. Perty got a great ovation and pointedly spoke how when the club Fitzroy- was having a tough run on and/or off the ground it made them all get closer and work harder for each other. They always believed! Think he was sending a message to hang in there too all.

Luke Power had a pre recorded interview with Brownie and loved the club, was a Fitzroy supporter too and said he never really got homesick, just around contract time.

I'll put some more info up!!

Spoke to a few players and they looked a very tight group.

Luke Power had a pre recorded interview with Brownie and loved the club, was a Fitzroy supporter too and said he never really got homesick, just around contract time.

He was a great player and he definitely got homesick, not just around contract time

He was a great player and he definitely got homesick, not just around contract time
Ripper bloke too. He was my captain in under 10s and still was always happy to have a chat and catch up when I saw him at Lions and never let being an AFL star go to his head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back