Preview Round 1 - Dockers v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payne dropped. Right call I think. Couldn’t get another game after last weeks effort.

Looks like we're holding a short leash this season on bad performances. Normally Payne would've been backed in to get it right this week. I hope the same standard gets applied for everyone - will be interesting to see how it gets measured over the season for all players.

Looks like we're holding a short leash this season on bad performances. Normally Payne would've been backed in to get it right this week. I hope the same standard gets applied for everyone - will be interesting to see how it gets measured over the season for all players.
Yes I wrote earlier in the week that the personnel should be largely irrelevant on Sunday... It will come down to attitude.

So whether the Payne omission in isolation is right or wrong I don't really care about. What I do care about is that the approach taken with him is replicated for all players, including those who are considered fixtures in our starting 18.

Wonder how shifting Gardiner back will impact our forward setup. Especially given we didn’t bring in any forwards.

Might be as simple as Lohmann starting the game. Should just lock him in the forward 50 and try and make the game as simple as possible for him

Wonder how shifting Gardiner back will impact our forward setup. Especially given we didn’t bring in any forwards.

Might be as simple as Lohmann starting the game. Should just lock him in the forward 50 and try and make the game as simple as possible for him

I'd love to see him start, but think he plays at his best when he has freedom to run on the flanks. That said, agree that staying forward of centre is the right move.

Same forward set up as the bulk of last year with Rayner as the third tall/hybrid forward?

He doesn't have a lot of respect for the media which IMO is fair enough
Coaches love the media when they are blowing smoke up them or their team and they hate them when they are being called out on poor performances. If Fagan was coaching a Victorian team, the acid would be well and truly on him. If the journalists wanted to they could have gone a lot harder. Fagan just comes across as a grumpy old man when he carries on like he did today.

Payne dropped. Right call I think. Couldn’t get another game after last weeks effort.
About time. Finally Fagan makes a serious accountability call on selection. Keep it up Fages and I might become a fan.

Lester had gone past Gardiner last year in terms of selection as a key defender and they have both gone past Payne.

Coleman is a massive loss, but with the return of McKenna and Gardiner playing back, our defence looks much meaner. I’m expecting Lester to go ‘next level’ this season. His physical strength, mental resilience and football IQ make him a key part of our defensive unit.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches love the media when they are blowing smoke up them or their team and they hate them when they are being called out on poor performances. If Fagan was coaching a Victorian team, the acid would be well and truly on him. If the journalists wanted to they could have gone a lot harder. Fagan just comes across as a grumpy old man when he carries on like he did today.
I think it was all a bit of an act myself. Very next question he was cracking a smile.

Got to be ruthless with selection. If you don’t perform you risk losing your spot simple as that.

Need big games across the board to win this week. They will be very tough to be beat and I can see Jackson solo rucking being a big advantage for them.

Pretty high standards you have there 3KZ, the game before last Friday night was an under a goal Grand Final loss... the first 1/4 and a bit last week was from a few on here deemed just about the best footy the team has played in the Fagan era... followed by albeit 25 minutes of atrocious footy... after that the contest was even.

Same forward set up as the bulk of last year with Rayner as the third tall/hybrid forward?
That would be better but they also may try and increase his CBA's so that won't help.
Named in the center too but that does not usually mean much.
You won't want Rayner in the midfield when Joe is rucking so that could be avoided i would think.

Unless Ah Chee goes to HB i think Answerth plays just going on Fagan interview.
That makes the Sub interesting.

Honestly, from those internally in clubs they don't like the media but they're just as adept at using the media for their own purposes as well.

With no media in print or on TV the AFL couldn't operate these days. Sure they have to pump up stories to justify their own existence and drum up interest but that's what the AFL wants.

Welcome to a high profile public role with great pay. The opportunities for coaches and players in the media and elsewhere when they're involved and when they finish are very good

I don't think there's been or should be much pressure on our club performance wise . In fact what's been said about our latest performance has been pretty much factual and moderate. And we were praised after the GF effort.

So I don't agree at all with criticism of the media in this instance.

I think it was all a bit of an act myself. Very next question he was cracking a smile.
I wondered that but it was a gritted teeth smile and his voice was wavering a little.

I just reckon Fages is an old school what happens on the field and within the club stays there and he sees the team as his own family.

So you can't knock where he's coming from even if he miscues occasionally.

It won’t; double standards have applied to team selection for the past eight years.

With that side i would hope the plan is:

Joe and Hippy main targets

Ah chee plays forward to give us a bit more in the air - he’s not big but can take a grab.

Rayner gets a decent amount of time in the middle - when Joe is in the ruck stick rayner deep. He’s a tough match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back