Preview Lions v Suns Sunday 5th May @ 7.10 pm The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is getting close. Will definitely debut this year at some point.

I wonder if we'll consider giving him a run up forward again. Definitely space in the best 22 for a pressure forward and he was drafted as a pressure forward.
I'd be happy just to get him in the team to see whether the composure and footy smarts operate at the next level. If so we have a player. He might need a few games , then again it's not inconceivable he slots in.

Hope reville gets a proper go. Has all the tools and drive to succeed. Wish him nothing but the best.

Here’s hoping Mr Brain is next cab off the rank. A lot to work with as well!

Goes without saying a must win game. If we don’t then I think (for about the 4th I’ve said this season 😂) we are done for 2024 and should look towards 2025.

3KZ is Football you are a long time contributor and while you are happy to go against the grain can seem to get fixated on an idea aswell. That can annoy some people and I do find myself predicting what you will say sometimes, but you will never make the ignore list as you aren't actually brain dead.

You have almost started to convince me with your Lester to Lyons comparison (with them being written off but coming back stronger), but what is hard to agree with is your justification of Lyons (who hasn't been playing particularly well in the ressies from reports) to come in and replace someone in the middle. Personally I think he upsets our balance and hurts our turnover game, which as mentioned by Grasshopper17 is a bigger avenue of scoring for all teams.

As for Fagans pets, I agree that over his tenure he has focused on playing the "best 23" players on the list and then finding a spot for them, rather then trying to develop players into specific roles in the team. This was a philosophy that brought us out of the doledrums, but seems to have created an issue with our depth, now being shown up by a serious injury list to some of our top 10 players on the list.

What seems frustrating as a supporter is watching things not work and feel like the coaches aren't trying to things to fix them. Or seeing short term solutions and not forward planning. It reeks of a coach who knows they have 1 more year left on their contract, and perhaps already have an eye of "must get that flag before then cause I'm retiring" about it. For someone as secure in his job as he is, I would have thought Fagan would be doing a bit more to balance the long-term future of the club, something that the Brisbane Lions would be perhaps more aware of then any other club in the AFL, after the price we paid for our early 2000s success.

I am excited to see what Reville can bring this week, hopefully Sharp has developed more aswell to put some pressure on the guys up top. I would also not be against dropping someone like Rayner, send him to the middle of the ressies for a week, get 40 touches and then bring him back. But then I would also just play him as a starting mid until he blows up, because hes IMO our only hope of really improving that group (until Ashcroft gets back).

My concern with our list atm is we are very light on for players that can effectively rotate through the midfield. After 6-7 seasons for most of our players, that to me seems strange that none of them have really come on top much in that fashion.

Our Coleman replacement is a much more pressing issue for us. Looks like he's playing the same role in VFL and doing well, so better send him where he's showing really good form.

I would agree, but we look pretty settled on McKenna, Answerth, Zorko and Wilmot.

I believe Zorko has a few years left in him counting this year.
One-year contract extensions until he drops off.

The young ones just have to play very well when they get their chance irrespective of position.
In recent years Dev, Tunstill, Prior, Madden & Sharp when playing have put in a combination of solid/average/below average efforts, but nothing to say i have arrived as an AFL player. At present they fill a role and cover injuries.
At some stage it may click for a few of these players and that would be great.

There are other players over the past 4 years that filled a similar role.
They have either been delisted or have moved to another club.
There will always be players in clubs like Berry, Hinge and Keays that find homes elsewhere and play well.

Hopefully Reville plays very well and demands to be picked the following week.
That is really the only way you force you way into a good side.

Since 2020 it has only been the low draft picks (20 and under) that have come into the side and shown they belong at AFL level.
Ashcroft (2), Fletcher (12), Wilmot (16) and hopefully Lohmann (20) but i don't think he is there yet.

The young ones just have to play very well when they get their chance irrespective of position.
In recent years Dev, Tunstill, Prior, Madden & Sharp when playing have put in a combination of solid/average/below average efforts, but nothing to say i have arrived as an AFL player. At present they fill a role and cover injuries.

There will always be players in clubs like Berry, Hinge and Keays that find homes elsewhere and play well.

Since 2020 it has only been the low draft picks (20 and under) that have come into the side and shown they belong at AFL level.
Ashcroft (2), Fletcher (12), Wilmot (16) and hopefully Lohmann (20) but i don't think he is there yet.
Slight correction Section 5
20 under is considered high draft picks. :D
But we know what you mean.

3KZ is Football you are a long time contributor and while you are happy to go against the grain can seem to get fixated on an idea aswell. That can annoy some people and I do find myself predicting what you will say sometimes, but you will never make the ignore list as you aren't actually brain dead.

You have almost started to convince me with your Lester to Lyons comparison (with them being written off but coming back stronger), but what is hard to agree with is your justification of Lyons (who hasn't been playing particularly well in the ressies from reports) to come in and replace someone in the middle. Personally I think he upsets our balance and hurts our turnover game, which as mentioned by Grasshopper17 is a bigger avenue of scoring for all teams.

As for Fagans pets, I agree that over his tenure he has focused on playing the "best 23" players on the list and then finding a spot for them, rather then trying to develop players into specific roles in the team. This was a philosophy that brought us out of the doledrums, but seems to have created an issue with our depth, now being shown up by a serious injury list to some of our top 10 players on the list.

What seems frustrating as a supporter is watching things not work and feel like the coaches aren't trying to things to fix them. Or seeing short term solutions and not forward planning. It reeks of a coach who knows they have 1 more year left on their contract, and perhaps already have an eye of "must get that flag before then cause I'm retiring" about it. For someone as secure in his job as he is, I would have thought Fagan would be doing a bit more to balance the long-term future of the club, something that the Brisbane Lions would be perhaps more aware of then any other club in the AFL, after the price we paid for our early 2000s success.

I am excited to see what Reville can bring this week, hopefully Sharp has developed more aswell to put some pressure on the guys up top. I would also not be against dropping someone like Rayner, send him to the middle of the ressies for a week, get 40 touches and then bring him back. But then I would also just play him as a starting mid until he blows up, because hes IMO our only hope of really improving that group (until Ashcroft gets back).

My concern with our list atm is we are very light on for players that can effectively rotate through the midfield. After 6-7 seasons for most of our players, that to me seems strange that none of them have really come on top much in that fashion.
Great post.

Well if the draw is really opening up starting this round for us, I'd prefer Brain being eased into AFL through our supposedly easier stretch of games. Zorko could be sent back at any point in time, Brain coming in and settling down needs to be done with a bit more planning. Earlier the better in my view.
I agree regarding Brain and as you say through this supposed easier stretch of games, I maintain that Zorks would be great as a sub and would be a good way to manage his workload for the next hard stretch of games when we’ll really need his leadership.

I would agree, but we look pretty settled on McKenna, Answerth, Zorko and Wilmot.
Nunez, I doubt those 4 are settled.
You have to fit in the other 4 being Starcevich, Andrews, Payne & Lester.
One of those players has to move.

Most likely Zorko to fwd/mid. However, i am happy for him to play halfback.
In my opinion they should make the call and move Wilmot to the wing. Maybe some midfield minutes.
Wilmot had 6 Wing appearances last week but that was a forced change to help out with Ah Chee's injury.
That's most likely when Zorko did some defense along with being forward. Zorko also had 5 CBA's.

Our half back list: Coleman injured, Wilmot, McKenna, Answerth, Zorko?, then Brain, Madden, Prior & Carter Michael?
I can also see Harry Sharp playing in that position given a run of games in the VFL.

Certainly if I was managing Robertson and Prior I would be trying to get them out of Brisbane ASAP and onto the list at West Coast or Fremantle. Fagan doesn’t rate either and they have stagnated under his coaching. Neither has been afforded significant development stretches in the seniors, unlike other players, and when you look at Robertson in particular, if you are copping injuries in the Ressies at Brisbane and are first man dropped when you do make the Seniors, you may as well request a trade and go home.

Last edited:
I agree regarding Brain and as you say through this supposed easier stretch of games, I maintain that Zorks would be great as a sub and would be a good way to manage his workload for the next hard stretch of games when we’ll really need his leadership.
Zorko has still got great foot skills and he has a red hot go. One year extensions make perfect sense.

Certainly if I was managing Robertson and Prior I would be trying to get them out of Brisbane ASAP and onto the list at West Coast or Fremantle. Fagan doesn’t rate either and they have stagnated under his coaching. Neither has been afforded significant development stretches in the seniors, unlike other players, and when you look at Robertson in particular, if you are coping injuries in the Ressies at Brisbane and are first man dropped when you do make the Seniors, you may as well request a trade and go home.

Robertson is injured for the second time this year.

Prior is depth at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nunez, I doubt those 4 are settled.
You have to fit in the other 4 being Starcevich, Andrews, Payne & Lester.
One of those players has to move.

Most likely Zorko to fwd/mid. However, i am happy for him to play halfback.
In my opinion they should make the call and move Wilmot to the wing. Maybe some midfield minutes.
Wilmot had 6 Wing appearances last week but that was a forced change to help out with Ah Chee's injury.
That's most likely when Zorko did some defense along with being forward. Zorko also had 5 CBA's.

Our half back list: Coleman injured, Wilmot, McKenna, Answerth, Zorko?, then Brain, Madden, Prior & Carter Michael?
I can also see Harry Sharp playing in that position given a run of games in the VFL.

I would like another pressure forward player and Zorko would certainly fill that role - but we are wedded to three talls. If we went back to two talls, would not be against Zorko forward and Brain on the half back.

Can't wait to see him get his chance.

Reading this, I find myself wondering about the incessant complaints that the coaches havent made enough effort to turn the list over and give new players an opportunity.

While we have been contending over the last five years, we have debuted 11 players who have been drafted during that time(the 10 you listed plus Payne, there may be others I have forgotten) We have also recruited mature players Daniher, McKenna Dunkley ect. A fair effort I reckon to develop the as I said, while we have been contending..

Current form is frustrating but there needs to be some comprehension that you can’t magically grow AFL ready to immedately call up when form drops.

My opinion, the only players who are playing well enough in the VFL to demand a game are Sharp (marginal but great to see him get another opporunity), Reville (marginal but looks to have AFL level skills, really excited to see how he goes), and Brain (marginal again looks to have AFL level skills, deserves a game). I have posted before that I would like to see HSmith at AFL level as a development opportunity for him even if it means he gets a bit of a hiding. Morris appears to have great potential but hasn’t put together a body of work demanding selection, again though I wouldn’t be against him getting a senior run.

Do posters really believe bringing in Sharp, Reville, Brain, Smith and Morris at one time or a number of them in one week would improve team performance?

I say again that we don’t have much in the VFL at the moment because the coaching group have focus on winning a Premership for the last five years.

Robertson is injured for the second time this year.

Prior is depth at best.
Which is why I would get them out of Brisbane if I were managing them.

Which is why I would get them out of Brisbane if I were managing them.

Utterly bizarre take. Robertson just signed a new deal and would likely be back in the team had he not got injured. Hell, he'd have been in round 1 if he didn't miss most of the preseason.

Every team has depth like Prior.

I actually block a lot of people and I've never felt bullied, because our Mods do a good job. I've got a lot of time for dlanod, which is why I always make sure to do a couple of 'Previews' through the season. A few years ago during the 'Aker Wars' I had some posts taken down, but that's pretty much it. I actually haven't had a single infraction / suspension on our board in 16 years and only one ever, when I went onto the Carlton board and called out Chris Judd for his Kung Fu Pressure Point Outrage many years ago.
Haha, I did exactly the same thing and got a week.

The difference to me is - in recent years we have had Dev, Prior, Tunstill etc - and while they have filled roles, they have not shown anything "special". Bruce and Shadeu have shown a glimpse.

Mayhap the lack of opportunity has been because no one has been knocking the door down. Now there is - and Henry and Logan are in this group.

I hope so. The only way is up, baby.

The difference to me is - in recent years we have had Dev, Prior, Tunstill etc - and while they have filled roles, they have not shown anything "special". Bruce and Shadeu have shown a glimpse.

Mayhap the lack of opportunity has been because no one has been knocking the door down. Now there is - and Henry and Logan are in this group.

I hope so. The only way is up, baby.
The cost of contending and needing to win as many games has possible has hindered the development of some players . It's just a fact of life in a club like ours where we were in the doldrums for a long time and were hungry to be a consistent Top 4 team and hopefully win a flag.

Whether those players were /are ultimately any good or not who knows but we have 4 or 5 coming through now who deserve opportunities and we're in a situation where we have the capacity to try them. I'm thinking about 2025 already without giving this year away , we still have a red got go every game from here , see if we can unearth another player or two who have long term futures.

I would be surprised if Sharp is the sub. His strength is his running ability and defensive running - whats the point of having him come on in the final 5-10 minutes of the game. He is not really an impact player. I still remember Fagan not engaging the sub for the whole game a few weeks ago- coudn't believe that, ridiculous!

I would be surprised if Sharp is the sub. His strength is his running ability and defensive running - whats the point of having him come on in the final 5-10 minutes of the game. He is not really an impact player. I still remember Fagan not engaging the sub for the whole game a few weeks ago- coudn't believe that, ridiculous!
Yer, I think the sub will be Lohmann.

When a debut player is announced there's always that sense of anticipation and hope that they will be the one. One like Aker, like CJ, like Daryl White, even Blacky and Vossy. It is exciting to get caught in the joy for the debutant. But history tells us that it only takes a few games and they also become fodder for the negativists and masses to turn on them as well.

Tunstill, Answerth, Sharp is evidence of this. So it is to me even more exciting to see a player like Answerth turn himself into a bone-fide AFL player now with some elite traits. He has eliminated his deficiencies and what was once considered weaknesses in his game has now become strengths.

Therefore I understand the love for Reville and Brain but one player that has been overlooked in all this love-in fest is the re-emergence of Sharp. Observing his VFL form I have seen a systematic development and progression, just like Answerth, Sharp's previous limitations appear to have been minimised and he has been the most consistent and best performer in the reserves and last game he was arguably best on ground. Can he continue his progression in the seniors?

So, I am excited to imagine that given the opportunity, Sharp can become a serious weapon moving forward. Here's hoping tomorrow's game will be the prologue to a long and impact full tenure in the seniors.

Yer, I think the sub will be Lohmann.
I agree. A bit hard on Kai but I think his form has slipped since his full first game. Got to remember he had a disrupted preseason, collar bone iirc. Looks like he hasn’t really built up his upper body strength. Does a lot of defensive running but (l hope I am not being unfair to him) doesn’t seem to have the strength to stick a tackle. Overall I am very bullish that Kai will be a long term player.

When a debut player is announced there's always that sense of anticipation and hope that they will be the one. One like Aker, like CJ, like Daryl White, even Blacky and Vossy. It is exciting to get caught in the joy for the debutant. But history tells us that it only takes a few games and they also become fodder for the negativists and masses to turn on them as well.

Tunstill, Answerth, Sharp is evidence of this. So it is to me even more exciting to see a player like Answerth turn himself into a bone-fide AFL player now with some elite traits. He has eliminated his deficiencies and what was once considered weaknesses in his game has now become strengths.

Therefore I understand the love for Reville and Brain but one player that has been overlooked in all this love-in fest is the re-emergence of Sharp. Observing his VFL form I have seen a systematic development and progression, just like Answerth, Sharp's previous limitations appear to have been minimised and he has been the most consistent and best performer in the reserves and last game he was arguably best on ground. Can he continue his progression in the seniors?

So, I am excited to imagine that given the opportunity, Sharp can become a serious weapon moving forward. Here's hoping tomorrow's game will be the prologue to a long and impact full tenure in the seniors.
I suppose you'd put me in the category of a knocker of his without paying much close attention this year so I was quite upbeat about seeing him last week. He seems stronger and wasn't panic dumping the ball but looking for short options and generally executing that well.

So I'm now in the camp that maybe he's worked on his body and his game and could be up to Senior footy. I really hope so because his tank is what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back