Discussion Local clubs adopting AFL club logos

Remove this Banner Ad

th

Ulverstone......... is that Yeoman's logo or did they just steal it?

th

The US seems to get so many originals correct.
th
th
th
th

Don't mind local clubs adopting logos from AFL clubs - don't forget some of them are very small and lack resources to do this sort of stuff. While logos of AFL clubs certainly aren't great, they aren't horrific (most of them, anyway) and they get the message across. I seriously doubt branding is major thing in local leagues anyway, particularly country ones.

Ellenbrook were the Eels beforehand but became a partnership club of the Dockers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 14
I like that the SWFL has nearly every team covered with a unique logo. (I apologise in advance for the quality of some of these).

in order of appearance

Eaton Boomers
Bunbury Tigers
Busselton Magpies
Augusta- Margaret River Hawks
Collie Eagles
Donnybrook "Dons"
Harvey Brunswick Lechenault Lions
Harvey Bulls
Carey Park Panthers
South Bunbury Bulldogs
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg

I like that the SWFL has nearly every team covered with a unique logo. (I apologise in advance for the quality of some of these).

in order of appearance

Eaton Boomers
Bunbury Tigers
Busselton Magpies
Collie Eagles
Donnybrook "Dons"
Harvey Bulls
Carey Park Panthers
South Bunbury Bulldogs
View attachment 215640 View attachment 215641 View attachment 215642 View attachment 215643 View attachment 215644
View attachment 215646
View attachment 215647 View attachment 215648 View attachment 215649 View attachment 215651
Particularly like the Harvey Bulls one; strong, menacing

in order of appearance

Eaton Boomers
Bunbury Tigers
Busselton Magpies
Collie Eagles
Donnybrook "Dons"
Harvey Bulls
Carey Park Panthers
South Bunbury Bulldogs
View attachment 215640 View attachment 215641 View attachment 215642 View attachment 215643 View attachment 215644
View attachment 215646
View attachment 215647 View attachment 215648 View attachment 215649 View attachment 215651

Sorry but most of those are either copies of other sides and recoloured or just lazily redone slightly.
Boomer is North
Red Tiger is current Richmond head recoloured and turned
Magpie is used by a few and it may be Dallas original?
Hawks looks like Wanderers with old crows lines
Eagles looks like American Thunderbolts side??
Lions is Subiaco
Bulls is an American recolour
Panthers is an American recolour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah it doesn't take that long... its just that committees tend to change every year and some old members just don't see the point in changing their image.
It does take some time for an AFL club to change its logo. After it is approved by the club then it has to be approved by the AFL. This has to be done by a certain date during the year. After this date designs for gear are designed for next year and need the logos of clubs for next year. This is the situation that the Western Bulldogs fell into with their new logo so they had to wait a year.

Might be better to look at this on a League basis than on a Mascot basis.

Here's the NEAFL's "clones" (if you want to call them that - not a great label but for this it's fine):

TuggeranongHawkslogo.jpg

Broadbeach - not an official logo, just a WEG-style cat really
Broadbeachcats.jpg

Isn't this Wests?
LABRADORTIGERSLOGO.JPG

Morningside%20logo.jpg

Redlandlogo.gif
I actually used to play cricket for Broadbeach and they didn't even have a logo then so when I brought up that we should have one for our shirts they went with exactly the same logo and all we did was chuck a cricket ball in the cats mouth - looked crap. But back on topic for a moment it is one of my pet peeves clubs that just use other proper logos.

It got to the point that when my son wanted to play footy I refused to let him play for someone that didn't have their own logo - a little bit of imagination or something, show you are unique.

I'd be surprised if using existing logos is allowed but it is probably simply not policed because it is not done for profit.

Personally, I don't like the way so many local clubs wear jumpers identical to AFL teams, as if wearing anything other than a red V on navy, or a yellow sash on black, or brown and gold vertical stripes makes you less like a serious club. OK, perhaps some weird colour combinations do make you look like less of a serious club, but it's kinda sad seeing grown men run out pretending to be the Bombers or the Power or whatever.

I'd be surprised if using existing logos is allowed but it is probably simply not policed because it is not done for profit.

Personally, I don't like the way so many local clubs wear jumpers identical to AFL teams, as if wearing anything other than a red V on navy, or a yellow sash on black, or brown and gold vertical stripes makes you less like a serious club. OK, perhaps some weird colour combinations do make you look like less of a serious club, but it's kinda sad seeing grown men run out pretending to be the Bombers or the Power or whatever.

My old man who is heavily involved in a local club has always been an advocate of having a jumper from one of the AFL or in the old days the VFL teams for their club. This is so little Johnny can come along to the footy supporting his local or if he's father is playing with the same jumper. Not many teams even these days have a jumper for a 5 yr old to wear but you can generally get all the AFL team jumpers from somewhere relatively cheap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back