Looking back - 2005 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course, if we didn't commit to Murph in that draft, he may have gone to Brisbane F/S instead of chancing his arm and maybe getting shipped off to Freo or something.

Which means we have have taken Pendlebury, which would have thrown everything else out of whack and Collingwood may well have taken Ellis. And Hawthorn Thomas, and Collingwood don't win last year's flag and....

aaaahhhh... forgetit.

I remember Wayne Hughes saying he rated Kennedy the best out of that draft. Quite a few people chuckled at that. I don't know if they're chuckling now. A quality CHF is worth more than a gun mid.

Good draft for the blues.

You guys have all got it spot on, we've both drafted exactly who we'd still have now and they work terrifically in the team. Of course, Ellis was a bit of a ****-up.

I ask you this though, and i don't mean to stir anything up, but as Krooooze touched on in the first page, do you guys think you would've tried as hard to get Judd if you'd picked Pendles instead of Kennedy?
Just a curious thought.

2005 was the year that the magpies tanking was SO bad, the AFL felt compelled to change the qualification criteria for a priority pick in 2006 to needing less than 20 points for 2 consecutive years to get a PP at the start of the draft

They were deliberately losing games like it was no-ones business!!!

Lucky for them they managed to pick two beauties at picks 2 & 5

Do you guys think you would've tried as hard to get Judd if you'd picked Pendles instead of Kennedy?
tumblr_lm1oo6Al9y1qzmowao1_500.jpg

Woud the Pies have drafted Kennedy if they didn't have Cloke, Tarrant, Rusling and Rocca on their list?

Both Carlton and Collingwood won in that draft, it doesnt matter who turns out to be the best player out of Murphy, Thomas or Pendlebury, fact of the matter is they are all super players who's selection in the draft that high has been truly justified and vindicated.

You guys have all got it spot on, we've both drafted exactly who we'd still have now and they work terrifically in the team. Of course, Ellis was a bit of a ****-up.

I ask you this though, and i don't mean to stir anything up, but as Krooooze touched on in the first page, do you guys think you would've tried as hard to get Judd if you'd picked Pendles instead of Kennedy?
Just a curious thought.

interesting question, but the reality is the pies chased judd just as hard, and pies did indeed have pendles.

judd was chased by both clubs, and you can add dons and melb, for what he would add both on and off the field.

Just a curious thought.

Ofcause we would have !!!!!!! Judd is a one in a generation player, and his value to the development of our young midfield has been MASSIVE !!!!!! IF we had Pendlebury the trade for Judd would have gone differently (we probably would have used say #3, #20, Bower and a sweetener) but the deal would have been done still. Could you imagine a midfield of Judd, Gibbs, Pendlebury, Murphy, Scotland, Simpson with Kreuzer and in the ruck ???

The real effect IMO would be how we tackled the 2008 draft. Our KPP stocks would have been VERY depleted, so #6 would most likely have been used on say Davis. We probably would have also held off on the Warnock trade, realising we would need to focus on KPP's, and nabbed a McKernan with our 2nd rd pick (the crows did well with their KPP picks that year). We probably would have also not bothered trying to get McLean into the side as the midfield would be pretty damn full, so we would have retained #11.

Anyway, this is all very speculative, but I think we still would have chased Judd pretty hard even if we had Pendlebury.

His name is Marc Murphy, get it right, later on you'll be telling your children you were lucky enough to watch him play.

I told my 2 boys that we are going to watch Mark Murphy play this week, they looked at me with amusment. So with your help in pointing out my failed attempt at spelling Marc correctly, I informed them that we are going to watch Marc Murphy play this week which was met with with a round of applause.

Thanx m8...:thumbsu:

I told my 2 boys that we are going to watch Mark Murphy play this week, they looked at me with amusment. So with your help in pointing out my failed attempt at spelling Marc correctly, I informed them that we are going to watch Marc Murphy play this week which was met with with a round of applause.

Thanx m8...:thumbsu:

Glad I can help :D

Seems like your kids are more switched on than you are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back