Roast Luke Beveridge gets way too much credit

Remove this Banner Ad

samDD

Debutant
Jun 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Sometimes flags are won under flukey circumstances, and sometimes they're won more so because of the list management than the coach. One or both of those things certainly apply to the Bulldogs flag in 2016, because we can now see Beveridge is a very ordinary coach.

Imagine implementing a "revolutionary" new tactic of not manning the mark to avoid being called for stand, only for it to clearly not work at all. Instead of recognizing that it doesn't work, he orders his team to keep doing it for the rest of the year. It just lets opposition teams kick the ball further with minimal difficulty, but Beveridge insists it's revolutionary and that it works. Beveridge cited Che Guevara and Rosa Luxemburg before the season started, intent on creating a "football revolution", but he's clearly regressed his team.

Last edited:
Yeah thinking outside the box and trying new things is great as long as you're not too arrogant to change when it isn't working.

Beveridge comes across as a great motivator but I think he probably overrates himself as a tactician.

Finals in 5 of 7 seasons, including one premiership and one grand final. Of the premiership coaches in the league he’s on par with Simpson and below the rest.

Not sure what credit he’s getting that isn’t deserved.

• Banned
Finals in 5 of 7 seasons, including one premiership and one grand final. Of the premiership coaches in the league he’s on par with Simpson and below the rest.

Not sure what credit he’s getting that isn’t deserved.
So? In how many of those years has he actually won a final?

You know simply "making finals" shouldn't be considered successful, right? Especially when you inherit the product of a 4-year rebuild with some top-notch recruits?

The Bulldogs have underachieved under him, and have especially underachieved since the 2016 flag. Sure enough, the degree of underachieving scales with the amount of power he's been given by your club, particularly over recruiting (which he's hilariously bad at).

So? In how many of those years has he actually won a final?

You know simply "making finals" shouldn't be considered successful, right? Especially when you inherit the product of a 4-year rebuild with some top-notch recruits?

The Bulldogs have underachieved under him, and have especially underachieved since the 2016 flag. Sure enough, the degree of underachieving scales with the amount of power he's been given by your club, particularly over recruiting (which he's hilariously bad at).
I don’t get what argument you’re trying to make here though? He gets credited because he is a premiership coach, he did get the club to a grand final last year and he has coached the club to be in the best half of clubs in the league for the other 3 finals appearances.

He isn’t credited as much as Hardwick, Longmire or Scott because they’ve proven they’re far more consistent and better coaches, but he gets credited more than those that have been less successful.

I don’t love the ridiculousness in his choices but if your issue is the credit he receives (such is the title of the thread), I think he is credited, and is ranked, exactly where his results as a coach place him.

• Banned
I don’t get what argument you’re trying to make here though? He gets credited because he is a premiership coach, he did get the club to a grand final last year and he has coached the club to be in the best half of clubs in the league for the other 3 finals appearances.
What is it about "too much credit" you are having difficulty understanding? What is it about "too much" that you don't get?

What is it about "too much credit" you are having difficulty understanding? What is it about "too much" that you don't get?
I understand you feel he gets credited too much. But your reasoning is flawed. He deserves the credit he gets but rightfully doesn’t get as much as the more successful coaches in the comp..

Actually your understanding of the english language is what's flawed.
When I say "too much", that is relative to my perception of the credit he gets. You're trying to objectively quantify it, which demonstrates a lack of understanding of the english language.

Here is something for you to better grasp: he's getting paid way more than he's worth, and he has way more power over your football club than he should.
No, my understanding of the English language is fine. Let’s try not to be more clever than we actually are.

He deserves all the credit he receives.

He gets called a genius when things are going well and a clown when things are going poorly. Needless to say the truth is in the middle. He has coached a couple of exceptional seasons, a couple of above average seasons and a couple of poor seasons.

Except it clearly isn't.

Based on what? Your opinion? You're trying to project your opinion as factual?

Embarrassing lol. He's a garbage coach mate.
As opposed to what you’re doing?

You’re welcome to that opinion. I want change at the end of the year but calling him a garbage coach is absurd.

I have no idea why they keep doing the not manning the mark especially in the defensive half
Collingwood employ that strategy and have won 11 in a row
In the forwardline yes but not once the ball reaches the backline they dont... Bulldogs just let players waltz up towards the 50 and get easy kicks deep towards goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo is a genius. Is genius petfect? Nope. Joyce's poetry is crap and his last book which took him over a decade to write still divides people. William Blake's drawings of people and animals are notoriously malformed, mishapen. The greatest entertainer of the 20th century, who invented certain styles of singing and revolutionsed instrumentation, could have done much more for his oppressed sisters and brothers, could have been more faithful to his multiple wives, and sold out artisticalky toward the end.

I think folk confuse genius with perfection.

Bevo's innovation got the Dogs a flag in one of the most dramatic runs of matches in 2016, and he has kept them combative most years.

Genius to win the flag but I feel with the team he has his slightly stubborn and with the right coaching setup I think they could/could of been hawks/cats like.
Take nothing away from bevo but even clarko got the sack with a year left on his contract after 4 flags
If dogs only finish with 1 flag with bont a few father sons and ugle hagan as a freebie i think they have massively under achieved!

Personally think he is now stale, or stubborn, either one. And more than other coaches seems to have favourites - West and Wallis being behind Scott and McNeil last year a good example, not sure they do a role that you couldn't coach West and Wallis to do, they are also simply better players. Also persists with weird structures.

But as for credit overall, no, only a handful of current coaches are flag coaches, plus at the end of the day not much can stop an onslaught from what is one of the greatest ruck/mids combo ever. He's fairly given credit for being a coach of a side that's made a grand final twice in what 8 years, when the club had done it about the same amount in 90 preceding years.

It's either get some assistant change over though or change Bevo, or they'll be every chance to fall short during the peak Bont era. I reckon most Dogs fans would agree - they can agree change is needed while still arguing that for a good chunk of his coaching career Beveridge was successful and rated as such.

Last edited:
Bit of a Will Minson intelligent idiot about Bevo.

Very strange obsession. You could almost say, it seems personal? Did he decline a photo with you or something?

I can. He's obviously a dud coach who fluked it one year. It's also proven to be a curse in the long term because he's going to keep getting re-signed no matter what results he produces.

In the 7 years Beveridge has been coach, they have only won a final in two of those years.
In 2015, 2019 and 2020 they were knocked out in the first elimination.

Didn't Montgomery want the job at one point? He was also senior assistant at your club back in 2015-2016, Beveridge's most successful two year period; the time he didn't have complete control over your club.

Luke Beveridge is what is known as an enigma.

He was appointed at the end of 2014 when the Bulldogs were in very rough shape and against all expectations, helped turn them into a very good team.

The problem is, after winning the 2016 flag, the Bulldogs board gave him unlimited credit, and proceeded to give him complete control over all aspects of the football club, including recruitment. He has since been exposed as a fraud in multiple facets.

I keep hearing Bulldogs fans say he needs to be surrounded by good assistants, but I wouldn't be so sure he'd accept that. He's clearly extremely arrogant and wants things to be done his way and his way only.

Keyword: enigma.
2021 was sandwiched between an extremely mediocre 2020, and an even worse 2022.

2021 in general was an enigma too. They went from looking unstoppable in the first half of the season, to finishing the home & away season horribly where they got thumped by Essendon and Hawthorn, to going on an explosive finals run, to getting absolutely demolished in the Grand Final.

It even applies to the Grand Final: they went from getting thrashed in the first quarter, to coming back and overpowering Melbourne up to the middle of the 3rd quarter, to completely forgetting how to defend and getting steamrolled through the centre for the rest of the game.

This is the reality of letting an enigma have complete control of your club. They went from winning the flag against all odds, to falling down when expected to be good, to a complete rollercoaster of a year, to utter mediocrity again.

The Bulldogs would have to be the least deserving side to ever play finals if they make it.

They are a genuine garbage team. GWS were horrible today, no Toby Greene, and the Dogs barely got it done.

Beveridge has got to be the worst coach in the AFL.

So? Worsfold and Choco Williams have that to their name too. Sometimes teams fluke it (which the bulldogs clearly did), and sometimes it's moreso the list management than the coaches.

Beveridge is such a garbage coach lol.

Sometimes flags are won under flukey circumstances, and sometimes they're won more so because of the list management than the coach. One or both of those things certainly apply to the Bulldogs flag in 2016, because we can now see Beveridge is a very ordinary coach.

Imagine implementing a "revolutionary" new tactic of not manning the mark to avoid being called for stand, only for it to clearly not work at all. Instead of recognizing that it doesn't work, he orders his team to keep doing it for the rest of the year. It just lets opposition teams kick the ball further with minimal difficulty, but Beveridge insists it's revolutionary and that it works. Beveridge cited Che Guevara and Rosa Luxemburg before the season started, intent on creating a "football revolution", but he's clearly regressed his team.

Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with the premise of your argument, my ability to identify with the over estimation of said coach in the football community is somewhat obscured by the more accurate representation by the coach of the team which I support.

In other words
Beveridge: Apparently I get too much credit.
Hinkley: Luke, Hold my beer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back