Player depth in 2023. How much has it improved?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Eagles NFL, 76ers, Blue Jays
Been thinking about player depth in the AFL, and this has been a hot topic and debated by some with respect to having 18 teams in the competition. Some have argued that 18 is too many and will justify 16 teams as suitable. I remember as far back as 2008-2012 and noticed how poor player depth was with respect to guys playing footy that were a long way from the best players in the team. I feel like the bottom 5-6 players on gameday were a long way off the better players especially amongst bottom 4 sides. Now it seems that with a full squad the gap has decreased significantly. I feel as if those bottom 5-6 players in that period are now outside the best 22 for most sides.

• Are the best players in the comp RN better than the best players prior to 2010?
  • Is there a greater percentage of players at that top level RN?

I think one way to know for sure would be to compile fitness data for timed runs, agility tests etc to see if the average/median times have improved over time.

Here is the 2000 Bombers premiership side and I'm wondering how many of these players would be on a list today, and how many would be a straight up swap for either Brisbane, or Collingwood teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back