Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 269 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 15.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than Bont who is great in there midfield?
they have decent/good players but I personally wouldn't call them great & that includes Treloar & Libba.

There defence is below average imo in the league.

I would say Libba is A grade. Treloar is very average.

I really don't get why the media/supporters think the dogs should be flying and Bevo is holding them back.

Midfield is good but their backline is pretty average and whilst their forward line has great potential, JUH and Naughton aren't setting the world on fire just yet.

As an exercise take any top 4 team and swap in this forward line and backline - Is it still a top 8 team?

View attachment 1980598
View attachment 1980600
Genuinely surprised that Johannisen is still running around. He's still best 22?

I really don't get why the media/supporters think the dogs should be flying and Bevo is holding them back.

Midfield is good but their backline is pretty average and whilst their forward line has great potential, JUH and Naughton aren't setting the world on fire just yet.

As an exercise take any top 4 team and swap in this forward line and backline - Is it still a top 8 team?

View attachment 1980598
View attachment 1980600
What about if Naughton is CHB?

The coach is the only one that can do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just an illusion IMO - JUH has potential but isn't cutting it right now - When he does take a mark he couldn't hit the side of a barn shed from 30m out.

Darcy is young and has heaps of potential. Just not there yet.

Lobb, just lol.
Lobb turned a few games for Freo with his sticky hands and ability to finish from 50 & beyond.
When he's on he's nigh on unstoppable. I know he's flaky but his best is very good.

Seems like both Bevo and the list management team have been really confused with what sort of footy side they want to build.

Part of it is ending up with Darcy and Ugle-Hagan and having to try fit them in with Naughton, English and occasionally Lobb. Shockingly unbalanced.

In the middle for multiple seasons they’ve had too many midfielders which has led to them playing guys in positions they’re not suited to.

The backline has always been suspect to me. They won a flag with genuinely reliable defenders like Boyd, Wood etc. it’s not like that anymore.

List is also a mix of guys who are at the peak of their powers and guys who aren’t ready yet. Maybe Bevo’s time is up and they need a change but their list management also needs work.

Imagine how bleak things would look without their 2 gun father sons and their NGA #1pick.
It's certainly not a complaint because the team has been very lucky to have access to Ugle-Hagan and Darcy in particular, but the list is very unbalanced right now and I'd say being fortunate to have access to these two picks contributed to that - allowing the club to move up the order to secure talent at the very top of the draft but also gutting the middle selections around rounds 2-4. Currently it's clear that the list has a strong top end and then drops away quickly.

I guess the alternative would be you swap a pick 1 and pick 2 plus some late selections, with late two first round picks and some more round 2-3 selections.

Seems like both Bevo and the list management team have been really confused with what sort of footy side they want to build.

Part of it is ending up with Darcy and Ugle-Hagan and having to try fit them in with Naughton, English and occasionally Lobb. Shockingly unbalanced.

In the middle for multiple seasons they’ve had too many midfielders which has led to them playing guys in positions they’re not suited to.

The backline has always been suspect to me. They won a flag with genuinely reliable defenders like Boyd, Wood etc. it’s not like that anymore.

List is also a mix of guys who are at the peak of their powers and guys who aren’t ready yet. Maybe Bevo’s time is up and they need a change but their list management also needs work.

Agreed on all points. As I have touched on. We are behind the ball with the evolution of the game.

We are to tall in general, and we either need to drop one, or have one sitting on the bench and rotating with the others.

Have always joked in the past we keep recruiting players who played off the HB, that we couldn't fit them all in. So why do we keep drafting them? For most years, we have MIDS playing in the forward pocket, or HB on the wings. Instead of players who are naturals at each role.

I don't entirely agree our backline is not talented or anything. It is just inexperienced. No reason JOD or Busslinger cannot become solid to good players. They are inexperienced, not poor players. That is the result of list management negligence to not plan for the backline long term for so long. Our tall defenders are either in their 30s, or they are developing young players. No one inside that MID 20s bracket. Which is why I think we must persist with getting games into them. Khamis is not a man on man defender, and Dale cannot defend for the life of him. In fact, most of our HBs are one way runners. We need another Doc, but in their prime.

I also do not think our defense is bad a some make it. Personally feel they have held on well for most games, when under seige. Eventually the walls busted because our freaking half backs and midfielders cannot get it past the center without turning it over. leaving us exposed for numbers on the rebound. Tbh, I reckon our defence has stopped us losing by 10 goals in most loses. Forward line, coast to coast transition, and lack defensive effort in the middle on the rebound are our biggest issues.

Last point is spot on. Feels shades of 2016. We had a bunch of good old heads, along with hungry and talented young players. Nothing in between. Though we do have more middle aged players this time around, but we are still wondering when they will break out and play to the level they are getting paid at.

Agreed on all points. As I have touched on. We are behind the ball with the evolution of the game.

We are to tall in general, and we either need to drop one, or have one sitting on the bench and rotating with the others.

Have always joked in the past we keep recruiting players who played off the HB, that we couldn't fit them all in. So why do we keep drafting them? For most years, we have MIDS playing in the forward pocket, or HB on the wings. Instead of players who are naturals at each role.

I don't entirely agree our backline is not talented or anything. It is just inexperienced. No reason JOD or Busslinger cannot become solid to good players. They are inexperienced, not poor players. That is the result of list management negligence to not plan for the backline long term for so long. Our tall defenders are either in their 30s, or they are developing young players. No one inside that MID 20s bracket. Which is why I think we must persist with getting games into them. Khamis is not a man on man defender, and Dale cannot defend for the life of him. In fact, most of our HBs are one way runners. We need another Doc, but in their prime.

I also do not think our defense is bad a some make it. Personally feel they have held on well for most games, when under seige. Eventually the walls busted because our freaking half backs and midfielders cannot get it past the center without turning it over. leaving us exposed for numbers on the rebound. Tbh, I reckon our defence has stopped us losing by 10 goals in most loses. Forward line, coast to coast transition, and lack defensive effort in the middle on the rebound are our biggest issues.

Last point is spot on. Feels shades of 2016. We had a bunch of good old heads, along with hungry and talented young players. Nothing in between. Though we do have more middle aged players this time around, but we are still wondering when they will break out and play to the level they are getting paid at.

Most defenses are propped up on the back of midfield pressure, if your midfield pressure is poor it really doesn't matter how good the players are back there.

The Dogs don't have a good defence by any means, but if the midfield and forward pressure is on, it can still get the job done. They're very boom or bust, if they're not winning the ball in the middle the follow-up pressure sucks.

I think the worst thing Bevo has done this year is lying about the Libba concussion.

Libba had two concussions in 2023..God knows how many before that. He should not be playing at all.
Not sure about the game yesterday, but Libba was never confirmed to be concussed in the game earlier in the season.

His recent history is certainly a concern though.

Back