Luke Beveridge

Remove this Banner Ad

None whatsoever.
I've been tipping the Bulldogs rise for the past three years, it certainly comes as no surprise to me. The list at the Dogs is pretty good and has depth, proven by this season's misfortunes, i think some of the coaches are judging on days gone past. The Western Bulldogs can no longer be under-estimated, the list is as good as any other team in the comp. Beveridge has a lot at his disposal to work with and it will only get better. IMO the Dogs should win a minimum of two flags maybe three if they can keep the list together in coming years. If they win this Saturday he is definitely coach of the year!

The list is good but the Swans midfield is ****ed. 5 A graders that will ensure they compete for another 4 or 5 years.

I'll give you Murphy and Johanissen.

Counting Stringer because he missed one game is clutching at straws. Goldstein missed the same amount of games through injury.

How do Bulldogs fans feel about McCartney?

Beveridge is the one making the right calls now but McCartney did a fair bit developing this list right? May not have been the coach to take them to the top but just wondering about dogs fans thoughts on him?

Beveridge is the one making the right calls now but McCartney did a fair bit developing this list right? May not have been the coach to take them to the top but just wondering about dogs fans thoughts on him?

Set a good base, which is still there. But nearly tore the group apart as well. Had he stayed another year there's no doubt we'd have lost more players. Luke Dahlhaus and Matt Boyd the most notable.

I respect McCartney for the development aspect of our kids. He focused on the contested ball aspect of our game which obviously has benefited our group immensely. The McCartney era wasn't pretty football to watch, and it divided the playing group. But you can't deny that he has had some part to play.

Instilled the contested ball mantra which still exists in all of our players. Beyond that his tactics were hopeless.

It's fantastic in a way as to what Beveridge is doing. He is implementing the game plan he had in place all those years ago that won him 3 flags in a row...in the *ing Ammo's of all places.

It's just a beautiful thing...Ammo's game plan executed by higher class of player still holds up at AFL level.

From C grage to A grade with flags all the way including A grade in consecutive seasons. St Bedes/Mentone are not a "blue blood old boys club" where money talks. ( not payed, rather attractive incentives are inducements and TAC/AFL rising stars frequent). To go that far in 3 seasons speaks volumes for Bev. Well done.
Now, I'm not a Dogies member, I have lots of mates who are wrapped right now. Good luck Doggies.

I'll give you Murphy and Johanissen.

Counting Stringer because he missed one game is clutching at straws. Goldstein missed the same amount of games through injury.

Isn't there a North Melbourne thread you might use? Face facts, the roos just couldn't go on with it.
Can't compare Roos v Dogs because our boys failed to beat any team above them on the ladder!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

image.jpeg What the hell was going on with mccartneys nose? Looked like it was held together by glue

Dogs onto a winner.

He makes Brad Scott look like a complete fool and heartless, excuse riddled amateur.

Suckling would've been first picked under Scott. Purely because he was a trade-in.

Can't actually believe that North are paying Brad Scott a shitload to embarrass himself and the club. Ffs.

Bevo would fit in well at Arden st.

McCartney's legacy is the contested ball. his mantra was the goals would kick themselves.

Great development coach, poor tactician
"The goals will kick themselves" isn't the kind of strategic mastery that you'd be hoping for from your senior coach

Someone else posted something similar on another thread. He does deserve some credit, he did set some building blocks in place and recruited well (with help) and instilled a desire for the contested side of the game which is still evident today. We wouldn't have our manic pressure, tackling and contested ball focus without him (well, perhaps we would have, but might have taken a while longer to get where we are).

But it's clear he wasn't the best tactician or communicator - and so all the good work was at risk of coming undone towards the end. I wasn't happy at the time of his departure, but the club has made the correct calls since then and we are benefitting from that. If he had stayed, the very list that we have now may not have still been intact.

It would be nice for him to get some form of acknowledgement from the club for his contribution if we are successful IMO.

It's interesting the stuff about how it all ended with McCartney. Minson and Griffen were the two that really brought the whole thing to a head. Well Minson's barely played under Beveridge and Griffen has been really disappointing at GWS. There was also the furor around Macrae being put as sub yet Beveridge dropped him last year.

I've heard from numerous people that he completely reshaped the recruiting and development parts of the club. People can talk about Beveridge's game plan all they like (and I think he's a great coach) but you don't get to a GF while being crippled by injuries without a seriously good list of players. McCartney was the one who made the changes needed to allow those players to be found and developed. I'm not sure what sort of deal he's on at Melbourne but it staggers me that no other club going through a rebuilding phase has gone after him to head that up.

Hes up there with the Horses and Scotts and Hinkleys and Lyons when it comes to coaching awards that's for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back