The Hitman

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Most people around these parts would hear this bloke's name and think "hack". They'd be wrong.

Today Luke McCabe dislocated his shoulder for a second time this season, and will surely have surgery to repair it, ending his season, and probably his career.

Maligned by many Hawthorn supporters, 'Packet' has given his heart and soul to the club, with life membership and the respect of his peers and those supporters in the know the result.

He never had the most brilliant skills, and his last few years have been littered with injury, but he always gave his all and he has been, despite a bung shoulder, one of Hawthorn's best this year.

He'll be hurting at the moment, but the club will be the poorer without him.

Good luck with your future, 'Packet'.

The Hitman

I've always been very critical of McCabe but anybody who can spend as long as he has at the club must love the place. The fact the guy was probably on minimum salary for an AFL player keeping us under the cap too is admirable. his football ability though...i'll just say i wasn't a fan.

There's still a chance he'll refuse a reconstruction and just keep it taped up, but that'd be very dicey.

If he does pull the pin, I think he'd make a good assistant. Thinks about his footy and has a queit determination.

Will be interesting to see his next move from here - maybe a move back to Centrals is o the cards, although I doubt it, as he is married with children here in Melbourne.

The Hitman

I don't rate him much at all, but that being said, sad to see a guy get hurt like that and possibly end his career.

Didn't heinjure it a few weeks back but played on? Took some guts

Memories of brett 'Jobby' Heady who used to dislocate his shoulder during the game, pop it back in and keep on going.
Not quite sure that McCabe was loved by the Hawks fans (or the ones I know, anyway), but he obviously has a heap of ticker to keep playing with this chronic injury.

Not many people rate McCabe, particularly Hawthorn supporters.

Notice some filth on HHQ celebrating his injury. Pathetic.

One of those players who always gave his all despite limited ability. Seems to be the antithesis of the modern day hawks - untalented, but committed.

Gives Osborne a chance to cement his spot again.

Originally posted by superstar
Gives Osborne a chance to cement his spot again.

What's going on with Osborne he was on his way to being our solomon/archer style hard man and a definate part of the leadership core for future years.

interesting article by jake niall saying it's time for Hodge, Mitchell, C. Brown and Ries to step into the leadership group, i think Osborne would not go astray in there either.

It was injured earlier this season and he went against doctors advice and kept on playing knowing that one bump will dislocate it again and now look whats happened! Poor fella, he has a go and yer hope to see him playing for Centrals again.

Always liked McCabe.

As late as a few weeks i go i thought he was playing some decent football, and unlike many, was always working hard, and always showing committment. Certainly deserved his spot within the current Hawthorn team.

Best of luck to him, hope he gets back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Lukey :(

He's one of my fave players as he always goes in hard and never backs away from a contest, that and the fact that most others hate him
dry.gif

I hope somehow we see him playing in a Hawthorn guernsey again, but if not, all the best to him in the future :(

Ossie is struggling thanks to no pre-season. Will find the whole year tough I reckon.

Yes, McCabe's injury will really hurt this week because we have to cover both Farmer and Medhurst. Barlow did a good job on Medhurst last year, but he is injured as well.

Who knows, he might get back, but it ain't looking good.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk

Yes, McCabe's injury will really hurt this week because we have to cover both Farmer and Medhurst.

One drop of rain and medhurst is gone for the day. i'm hoping its torrential on sunday.

Originally posted by Yze_Magic
1 career over

courtesy of David Neitz

what has neitz got to do with it? do you have to be neurotically melbourne all the time?

Originally posted by feher
i think you will find he's had shoulder problems alot earlier then that

are you sure

if so i will shut up and not post for the rest of the nght, that will make a lot of people happy

:D

Originally posted by feher
i think you will find he's had shoulder problems alot earlier then that

irrespective, tragic's probably going to claim it was 100% Neitz's doing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back