Luke Power Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

First off, Luke Power is a champion

Secondly, if the Lions / Voss basically told him (in one way or another) that he and the Club should part company / he should retire, then whatever Power chooses to do next is up to him. He will always be a Lions champion, nothing will change that. Personally I think GWS would be mad not to consider offering him a spot on their list (Luke may not want to play for another team however). I can also definitely see him as a coach (in fact this story seem to indicate the Lions could offer him a position as some sort of a coach http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/122264/default.aspx )

Thirdly, what I would be interested in knowing is whether Voss said he couldn't guarantee Power would be in our best 22 for every game next year (which is absolutely reasonable - there were times this year he was in danger of being dropped); or whether he said he couldn't guarantee him a game next year (as in they will be playing kids in front of him despite his form - IMHO this is unreasonable in relation to Power, who will clearly be in the top 10 of our Best and Fairest. I also do not rate playing too many kids at once or playing kids that haven't really earned it); or for that matter whether something else entirely was said.

Fourthly, either way, it is not the end of the world. It is not what I would have done in Voss's position, but on the other hand it is hardly like it is a clear cut horrendous mistake. There are two sides to the argument, and both sides have something to them. Voss / the Club has to make the call. The decision has been made, I disagree with it, but despite my strong admiration for Luke I don't think the decision should be blown out of proportion in terms of the future of our Club.

Interesting that Caroline Wilson said on Footy Classified that Luke Power has indicated to GWS that he wants to play on in 2012, however GWS said that they want him to go away and think about it a little more.

I must say, I would be bitterly disappointed if that is true and Luke did in fact want to play on and does, knowing that Voss callled curtains on his career. This to me has a bit of the James McDonald scenario about it, if it does turn out.

I must say, I would be bitterly disappointed if that is true and Luke did in fact want to play on and does, knowing that Voss callled curtains on his career. This to me has a bit of the James McDonald scenario about it, if it does turn out.

Melbourne had no other good leaders - Green is a joke.

Black and Power retiring after 2012 together would be a worse outcome than Voss calling time on Power's career, despite him wanting to play on, and handing Black another 1 year deal.

Black and Power retiring after 2012 together would be a worse outcome than Voss calling time on Power's career, despite him wanting to play on, and handing Black another 1 year deal.

Yep.

"Letting veterans go out on their own terms" is a nice sentiment but not always practical or ideal. Even with triple premiership heroes.

It is a fine line as to whether Power was pushed or he made his own call after seeing the writing on the wall.

You'd hope that:

1. Voss had been having ongoing discussions with Power about his form (which was certainly inconsistent).

2. That the ultimate decision was in Power's hands, even if Voss made sure the writing was on the wall.

I am choosing to believe that the above occurred, mainly because I don't see anything to the contrary. I think that, in the Macdonald-Melbourne case, Macdonald had no say in his future. That's what stinks for a club champ who was still in reasonable form.

I have no problem with Voss saying to Power - "Your form is probably heading in the wrong direction. We've got a bunch of young blokes to get games into. You'll get picked on form next year but we can't afford to give any latitude if your form isn't right. I'm just putting it on the table that you may not finish next year at senior level if we believe that other players should get a game ahead of you. The spot on the list is there if you want it but there's no guarantees you'll get a game each week."

If Power then decided to back himself in to play 22 games next year, then I'd hope that Voss/the club would respect that decision and not say "well, actually, what we really meant was that there is no spot on the 2012 list for you." As it is, we'll never know because Power clearly decided that he didn't want to continue to play under those conditions. As long as that is his decision, I'm comfortable with the way this went down, despite the fact that Voss clearly nudged him towards retirement.

"... have no problem with Voss saying to Power - "Your form is probably heading in the wrong direction. We've got a bunch of young blokes to get games into. You'll get picked on form next year but we can't afford to give any latitude if your form isn't right. I'm just putting it on the table that you may not finish next year at senior level if we believe that other players should get a game ahead of you. The spot on the list is there if you want it but there's no guarantees you'll get a game each week."

I suspect this is exactly how the conversation went...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back