Universal Love Daniel Rich Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Bye GIF

with the way he was playing in finals last year thought he might have had another season in him. remember him threading a beautiful kick from the centre square right through richmonds zone to hit mccarthy on the tit in the elim final... vintage rich

been my favourite player since black retired and i hope this is not the last we hear from him... thank you richy

That 60 m pin point kick was heart warming during the bleak years.

And watching team after team forget about him outside the offensive fifty was always fun. Probably as much for him as for us.

He deserved a better finals run in the last two years, but that's footy.

His speech today was a wonderful demonstration of modern, loving Father and I'll never tire is seeing that. Great message for the young blokes.

Really really hope he gets into coaching one day. He is exactly the father fagan type. Would happily have him immediately as a welfare person.

Best of luck in everything Dan. Loved your loyalty and hope many good things come your way.

pardon the intrusion but i distinctly remember him kicking a massive goal from the centre circle in 2009 v port at the gabba yet i can't find any footage of it. Would anyone here know?

Anyway good on him for his career always felt he was underrated and hopefully brisbane will get the flag this year

pardon the intrusion but i distinctly remember him kicking a massive goal from the centre circle in 2009 v port at the gabba yet i can't find any footage of it. Would anyone here know?

Anyway good on him for his career always felt he was underrated and hopefully brisbane will get the flag this year

Random memories:

• The kebab scandal that wasn’t.
  • The ACL
  • The two week suspension for innocuously running an opposition player into the fence at the Gabba.
  • him signalling to some talls to get down to the goal square in the miracle on grass.
  • a photo with my sons when he was out injured, in the Lions shop before a home game.
  • those T-Rex arms somehow getting enough reach to spoil a dangerous ball in our defensive 50 late in a game.
  • being part of the three R’s. Rich, Redden and Rockliff, hoping they might lead us back up the ladder. That era passed with little to show for it but at the end Rich was still here.
  • one particular kick, and I don’t know when it was or against whom but it was a thing of beauty…fast, flat, impossibly precise, that cut through half a dozen players to find a target’s chest.
  • the lurk - nothing on in a crowded forward 50. Our ball about 55 out and he would slip almost unnoticed at times, past the shoulder of a teammate and take the short handball. When you could see it coming it was almost like he mastered the art of looking nonchalant, then a couple of casual steps and just when the opposition realised the danger, he had the ball, took two or three strides and the ball was sailing through before they could even get a hand on him.
Wow, the three R's .
Rich ,Rocky and Reddo.
Pretty much one of the reasons why we got on board and finally bought full season tickets in 2012.
Some of those years where tough to sit there , but gee wiss , there where some all - time memorable wins when we were struggling.
Was it that long ago when we were all saying on here , just wait till they get 50 games in them.
Certainly one of the best sights was Richy reeling around for that 60m kick to goal.
Great times and , glad no one came into my work shop while I watched his announcement.
hopefully might see him play this year either in the ones or more than likely two's finals.
Thanks for giving us so much over the years , and in Mc Mum's words , thanks Bam Bam.

Richy made me audibly giggle in pre-emptory delight with those handball receives 60m out. You just knew it was sailing through. No other Lion has elicited this response as consistently for nearly as long - even Charlie.

Also, I remember the Lions Youtube thing with Rockliff where Rocky challenged teammates to silly things. He took on Richy with arm wrestling. They started with the left and Richy predictably crushed him. Rocky then showed some confidence in his preferred right, before Rich crushed him just as quickly to Rocky's astonishment. Short levers for both arms and legs but both immensely strong.

Great career and a great bloke. Hope we win it for him and he gets his Nathan Jones / Bob Murphy moment. He deserves it and more.

Easily the most loyal player in the league during his career. I would think West Coast and Freo offered him some massive coin over his journey.

Gonna miss him.

I shed a tear during his announcement.

Watching that retirement speech is really lump in the throat stuff.

He's been a magnificent player for the Lions but more importantly, is clearly a beautiful human being.

Sincerely hope the club finds a role for him going forward. The old "good people" maxim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my fav players. Sad to see him go.
I think people will remember his kicking
Although he rarely lost it in a one on one strength battle and often put his body in the hole to stop key forwards

All the best for the future and thanks for sticking around when we where crap.

Absolute legend.

Don’t think many others have played a better debut season for the Lions than his in 2009 (potentially Ashcroft was on track this year).

But his AA year in 2021 was incredible. Not only stuck around during our darkest years but was a significant part of us rising again when he was shifted back.

Like others, will miss those handball receives from 55 and post-high bombs through the middle of the sticks.

He may not make it back in the final side but how good would it be to see him (even if he’s wearing his polo) with the cup while lapping the ‘G?

It just won’t be same next season when he is not around. I am sad to see him go but very proud he chose to stay with our club when he had big offers to go elsewhere.
Thanks Dan

Like others, will miss those handball receives from 55 and post-high bombs through the middle of the sticks.
I watched the compendium of all his goals from outside 50, and it was fun seeing how much an empty goal square was like a red rag to a bull whenever Rich was within about 70m.

I dont understand why the club releases Adams retirement video on both club website and YT, yet for Rich only club website. I mean why is the club so inconsistent with this stuff. YT can be watched on all Smart TV's and Dan deserves greater exposure yet is limited to the website whilst Adams' is everywhere. Lift your game media dept.

Easily the most loyal player in the league during his career. I would think West Coast and Freo offered him some massive coin over his journey.

Gonna miss him.

I shed a tear during his announcement.

Yeah so did I.....he is one of my very favorite all time Lions. We love our boys, each and every one of them, but every so often a very special player arrives and never leaves, quite happy to be a loyal Lion to the end..

...that was our Richy.:heart:

We are going to miss him so much. I too hope he can stick around the club as often and whenever he wants..

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back