Universal Love Daniel Rich Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Appreciation thread for one of the best and most loyal Brisbane Lions players post premiership era if not all time. Been one of my favourites since we drafted him with pick 7 in 2008(Time flies, feels like just yesterday he was shaking Vossy's hand on draft day in a Lions polo!) and one of the rare shining lights during a very difficult period for this club. Shame he didn't get the fairytale ending he deserved but the door is still slightly ajar and I am so glad he was able to play finals in the latter part of his career. Rich receiving a handball just outside 50 and the noise of anticipation from the crowd for one of his long bomb goals will always be an iconic part of Brisbane Lions folklore! I am going to miss watching his beautiful left foot kick!

275 games, rising star winner and an AA jacket over a 15 year career. One club player. Could not have asked for much more!

Thanks for everything Daniel Rich.

Would be appreciated twice as much if he played for a Victorian club and gotten more honours.

Loved watching him play, easily the best kick in the AFL for a number of years.
I used to love watching him just jog around the back of a teammate who was outside the 50 and not going to make the distance. Handball to Rich and ‘BANG’ 55 metre goal, ball sailing through with ease.

Absolute legend of our club. Thanks so much Dan.

Was desperately hoping he had a bit more in him at the start of the year to get to 300.

He gave every last bit of himself and stuck fat when not many did.

I’m sad.

One of the Brisbane Lions greats.

Loyalty is one attribute i rate more than others and the fact Dan always stuck by us puts him up there with our best not to mention he was always a favourite of mine. Dan came when he was young and never left unlike so many and probably like Blacky, will remain a Queenslander.

Another attribute I loved about Dan was his humbleness.

So many players could learn a lot from Dan particularly off field and he will be missed by my family. Was hoping he could get to 300 and play in a winning GF but that in no way undermines anything he achieved.

Absolute legend of our club. Thanks so much Dan.

Was desperately hoping he had a bit more in him at the start of the year to get to 300.

He gave every last bit of himself and stuck fat when not many did.

I’m sad.

I sometimes forget he essentially lost a season to an ACL tear back in 2014 as he was coming into his prime. It has been a fantastic reinvention into an AA level half back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random memories:

• The kebab scandal that wasn’t.
  • The ACL
  • The two week suspension for innocuously running an opposition player into the fence at the Gabba.
  • him signalling to some talls to get down to the goal square in the miracle on grass.
  • a photo with my sons when he was out injured, in the Lions shop before a home game.
  • those T-Rex arms somehow getting enough reach to spoil a dangerous ball in our defensive 50 late in a game.
  • being part of the three R’s. Rich, Redden and Rockliff, hoping they might lead us back up the ladder. That era passed with little to show for it but at the end Rich was still here.
  • one particular kick, and I don’t know when it was or against whom but it was a thing of beauty…fast, flat, impossibly precise, that cut through half a dozen players to find a target’s chest.
  • the lurk - nothing on in a crowded forward 50. Our ball about 55 out and he would slip almost unnoticed at times, past the shoulder of a teammate and take the short handball. When you could see it coming it was almost like he mastered the art of looking nonchalant, then a couple of casual steps and just when the opposition realised the danger, he had the ball, took two or three strides and the ball was sailing through before they could even get a hand on him.

Random memories:

• The kebab scandal that wasn’t.
  • The ACL
  • The two week suspension for innocuously running an opposition player into the fence at the Gabba.
  • him signalling to some talls to get down to the goal square in the miracle on grass.
  • a photo with my sons when he was out injured, in the Lions shop before a home game.
  • those T-Rex arms somehow getting enough reach to spoil a dangerous ball in our defensive 50 late in a game.
  • being part of the three R’s. Rich, Redden and Rockliff, hoping they might lead us back up the ladder. That era passed with little to show for it but at the end Rich was still here.
  • one particular kick, and I don’t know when it was or against whom but it was a thing of beauty…fast, flat, impossibly precise, that cut through half a dozen players to find a target’s chest.
  • the lurk - nothing on in a crowded forward 50. Our ball about 55 out and he would slip almost unnoticed at times, past the shoulder of a teammate and take the short handball. When you could see it coming it was almost like he mastered the art of looking nonchalant, then a couple of casual steps and just when the opposition realised the danger, he had the ball, took two or three strides and the ball was sailing through before they could even get a hand on him.
What I remember that seems forgotten is coming in as a first you player , fully developed physically with a body you couldn't shift ,exquisite skills ,just a fully mature player who played like a 6th season player right from the get go.

Who else has spent the past hour searching out Daniel Rich highlights

What an absolute champion ! A club champion a afl champion. Did all the hard yards in the bad old days , stuck by us 100 % an all Australian ! Not many even the favourites can say that.

Coped some awfull crap from many on this forum this season, which is a shame. All the best lad now and always. a lion now and always

Thank you

Will go into the Lions hall of fame at some point. A loyal lion through a tough era. Would have played 300 if not for his ACL injury.

Best kick of the ball I've ever seen in his prime and just a top bloke. Love ya Richy.

Never faltered through some truly tough times when he could have picked anywhere to play, and probably earnt a chunk more too. Nothing would have made me happier than to see him lift that cup, but what a joy it has been to have him as part of the Brisbane Lions for so long. Honoured, proud and humbled. Richy, you will always be a champion to us. 🦁

Requiescat in pace Thor. May you continue to punish all those who let you wander outside the 50 in Asgard.

Also how lovely for his son to have such a loving father. I teared up a little seeing Rich hold him up. Its only going to keep getting better for him now that his father will be there more often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back