News Magpies AFLW/VFLW News.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I’m a bit touchy - or paranoid - when it comes to our AFLW team. But we always seem to be disadvantaged with our home games. Meaning we don’t get enough!

In the first couple of seasons we played some at the Holden Centre - horror! And then we started getting some games at Vic Park. But never enough in my view.

Now, round 4 of season 5 coming up, and we’ve played once at VP. I know there’s a pandemic. I know we have to be agile.

But Freo, for example, will be playing their third game out of four this season in front of their home crowd. Fair?

Not fair but just have to get through the season. Hopefully there's more balance in the later rounds.

This would have been back in October. But seems the incident was dealt with.

Proper governance at work. Learn of problem, investigate, deal with it as required.

So it says this player hasnt been any games this season

Collingwood has dodged a COVID scare after a women’s player self-reported she had visited hotspot at Melbourne Airport on Tuesday, February 9.
The Magpies AFLW player has been COVID tested and returned a negative result, but is still serving out 14 days of home quarantine.

A Pies spokeswoman said the player, who is understood to not have played any AFLW games so far this season, had not had contact with anyone at the club since Monday, February 8 and she immediately informed the Department of Health as required by current Victorian Government guidelines.

“As a part of routine testing, all Collingwood players and staff were tested on Friday, February 12 and each returned a negative result,” the spokeswoman said.

“The health and safety of the player and everyone involved in the football club, along with the wider community, remains the priority and both the player and broader club will continue to be led by the Government and public health officials.”

Collingwood would not name the player who is expected to return to training on February 24.

The self-isolation is a precaution for anyone who has visited an exposure site in Victoria.

The ladies are off to a great start. Have some very exciting talent. Sunday’s game showed the importance of Norder in the centre and around the ground competing. Also think Casey could be on her last legs but great team to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good article on AFL site and worth a read:

...The abrupt change in tact was made in part due to a tumultuous Trade Period which saw Jasmine Garner, Jess Duffin, Emma King and Moana Hope all depart for expansion club North Melbourne, Christina Bernardi for GWS and Millie Mullane for Carlton.

The acquisition of star mid Brianna Davey in 2019 effectively cleared the Pies out of picks, although they did bring in tough duo Alana Porter and Ebony O'Dea through late selections.

Last year saw a return to the youth policy, with five 18 and 19-year-olds brought in. Tarni Brown, Amelia Velardo, Bella Smith and Joanna Lin have already made their debuts, with Abbi Moloney named an emergency.

Collingwood has also been canny with its rookie selections, signing lightning-fast Irish duo Sarah Rowe and Aishling Sheridan in successive years, and throwing its support behind Sharni Norder after a tough debut season in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2021 AFL WOMEN'S - ROUND 4
North Melbourne v Collingwood
Saturday 20 Feb, 7.10pm (AEDT)
Marvel Stadium
7Mate, Fox Footy & AFLW app.
#gopies

See Collingwood's side to take on the Kangaroos below.

IN:
Norder, Fowler
OUT: Smith, Newman

Good Norder Back and Agree with Newman being Dropped as she done Nothing

Good Norder Back and Agree with Newman being Dropped as she done Nothing

Interesting they’re bringing in Norder and Fowler. I thought we were top heavy last week and we’re going even taller. Unfortunate Newman hasn’t found form. Only has training to make a case to be re-included.

Interesting they’re bringing in Norder and Fowler. I thought we were top heavy last week and we’re going even taller. Unfortunate Newman hasn’t found form. Only has training to make a case to be re-included.
I've been hearing references to VFLW practice matches in the media the last couple of weeks so hopefully Newman has one to play in. We need her in form.

I guess they were spooked by Richmond's ruck dominance against Bella Smith and Sophie Alexander last week.

I've been hearing references to VFLW practice matches in the media the last couple of weeks so hopefully Newman has one to play in. We need her in form.

I guess they were spooked by Richmond's ruck dominance against Bella Smith and Sophie Alexander last week.
And coming up against Emma King.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back